My Build Thread: Project "Rain Cloud"

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Re: My Build Thread: Project "Rain Cloud"

Post by In XS 7 »

I wish I have one of these coolant tanks, man that looks so great, congratulations. :cheers
Miguel.
89 XR4Ti Monique; Waking up a real "Night/Mare-Coor".
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 »

Hey Joe, can you tell me how many feet of "+" wire are need it to relocated the battery like you do? and where did you get the connectors to the battery post? also where did you bought the fittings and the plastic tube to see the coolant level on your custom tank and the big 90* connector/fitting for the bottom hose on the tank? Thanks a lot and I am sorry about all the questions on your thread, I will not post any more questions here, i promise. :notworthy :cheers
Miguel.
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Miguel

www.knukonceptz.com has most of the wiring gear you'll need.

16' front to rear for positive, 2' for ground, plus i'd do what whitelx recommended and do a solenoid and an additional constant positive wire for the fuse box.

the other materials you can get at mcmaster.com

hope that helps.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 »

Ray wrote:Miguel

http://www.knukonceptz.com has most of the wiring gear you'll need.

16' front to rear for positive, 2' for ground, plus i'd do what whitelx recommended and do a solenoid and an additional constant positive wire for the fuse box.

the other materials you can get at mcmaster.com

hope that helps.
:thumb Thanks Ray. :cheers
Miguel.
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

You'll need grommets, wire (cable) ties, some way to protect the wire from any and all chaffing, crimpers, ring terminals with ends that fit your needs, at least 4awg wire.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

X2 on what Ray said for the wiring!

For the coolant bottle, I got the sight tube pieces from McMaster:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/147/=nu6lu5

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/174/=nu6lyu

For the tank, everything is from Summit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gar-j9002

Feel free to ask away!
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 »

8) Thousand thanks Joe. :cheers
Miguel.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

In XS 7 wrote:8) Thousand thanks Joe. :cheers
Anytime! :headbang

Finished getting the bottle in. Need a new cap though. Both the filler neck and cap are from Canton Racing...yet the neck is .750" deep and the cap only reaches in .740" or so...so it won't build pressure and leaks through the vent. Plugged the vent line so the system could at least build pressure. Have to call them this week and figure out what's up.

Even used the stock hose mount on the fender ha

Downpipe wrapped:

Started working on the turbo brace. Mounts to the clamp bolts on the turbine housing and ties into the TB bolts on the intake mani. Going to grab a much nicer setup from McMaster with heims and a nicer connecting rod. For now, this works to at least support the turbo.

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Some more work done this weekend! Figured out my coolant cap issue, was just a bum cap. I spaced the gasket out on the 16lb one I had and it still wouldn't seal. Got a 13lb Stant from Advance and holds pressure fine now. Because something worked, something broke. RF caliper is sticking a bit so need to replace that. Yanked it and worked the pistons, but still sticks up after the brakes get some heat in them.

Also got the turbo setup. BPV was venting boost until around 5psi or so and then it would hold. Added a small silicone spacer to the BPV and now it vents properly.

Got some tuning in as well. Car rips and I still have a ways to go. I'm used to the gearing in the ST which is very close and short so I was really short shifting the car. Even running around 2k rpm, I'm able to get into boost which I couldn't do before and it pulls very nice up top. Didn't beat on it too much because of road conditions, crap tires, and the tune being pretty rough, but I'm really happy with the car. To celebrate, I even took a quick video. Nothing exciting driving wise, but felt so good to get the car back on the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLOh11hs9Nk
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Nice, Joe. And about time, i know how long you've been waiting to get this back on the street. :)
:cheers
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
catapultkid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by catapultkid »

Very good! I'm impressed and want to see this at an autox!
-Paul
'85 Merkur XR4Ti
K20, VW mk2
'89 K2500, 6.0 swap
'00 Honda Insight
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Ray wrote:Nice, Joe. And about time, i know how long you've been waiting to get this back on the street. :)
:cheers
Thanks Ray. Definitely excited :D
catapultkid wrote:Very good! I'm impressed and want to see this at an autox!
Thanks!! Probably not this year because the tires are very bad, but hoping next year :cheers
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Got the new calipers on! Still some air in there even though I went around the car a few times. New master, booster, and rear discs going on so I'm not going to bother.

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Replaced the front Powerflex bushings with their Black series. Higher durometer stuff geared more towards performance while sacrificing NVH. Big thanks to the guys at mc2racing for getting these into the States for us. Also replaced the front 350lb/in springs with 500lb/in springs from Ray's car as he stepped up rates for this season.

Old stuff:

New stuff. All goes in and out by hand so this was really quick:

Need to figure out if this is right for the new strut top bushings. A lot less thread showing through the top hat which results in an increase in ride height without increasing travel. Didn't get any additional threads after putting the car on the ground and triple checked the strut and bearing are together the right way. I've always run that 2nd cone above the strut bearing...could replace with a flat washer instead between that and the nut but unsure of any other issues that would cause.

New ARP studs up front:

Of course, snapped off the strut pinch bolt when tightening. Thankfully I've chased all the threads in the car where I've had bolts out so this turned out by hand easily. Replaced both sides with fresh hardware; M12x1.75x50mm

Done! This is prior to lowering the car onto ramps so I could tighten the inner and outer TCAs and upper strut nut with the weight of the car on them.

catapultkid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by catapultkid »

Looks good dude! Hopefully it gets used some this year.
-Paul
'85 Merkur XR4Ti
K20, VW mk2
'89 K2500, 6.0 swap
'00 Honda Insight