Turbo to Manifold

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
C-Rock
Level 2
Level 2

Turbo to Manifold

Post by C-Rock »

I had my turbo off getting it rebuilt and now have everything all back on. It slipped my mind to use a new turbo to manifold metal gasket is that a big deal or will I want to take it off and replace it?

Cliff
C-Rock
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Turbo to Manifold

Post by C-Rock »

The Cossie side is new so looks like I am going to start over, I ordered the gaskets from Autozone and will have them tomorrow
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

I've reused them before, some have been fine, some leaked. If they surfaced the turbo flange then you should probably get a new one, but if it wasn't touched, most likely you will be fine.

**Didn't see your second post before I posted. Since it is a different flange altogether, you should definitely put a new gasket on!
Last edited by turboplz on Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jason

89 Xr4ti..."Bronze Turd"...long term project/current garage queen

2014 Focus ST
XR'd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by XR'd »

Ive reused mine before. No leaks or whistling.
86 Xr4ti - 40bob Ported Intake, 1.5 Bo-Port Cam, Ported Head, Garrett FMIC, GN T3 Hybrid, Custom Merkur Depot Downpipe, 3" Exhaust.
xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrattiracer »

i dont even use a gasket there
86 Silver XR4Ti. 'squirted. 12.7@111
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

The gaskets can be found at autozone or oreiily for a few bucks amd are always in stock locally. No need to reuse.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Esteban wrote:The gaskets can be found at autozone or oreiily for a few bucks amd are always in stock locally. No need to reuse.

As much of an unpleasant job R&R'ing the turbo is, why would you screw around? I'm finding O'Reilly's has more Merkur-Friendly parts these days than AutoZone, BTW.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

I've re-used them no problem. When I have time to plan, I get it all from mc2. I'd be more concerned about re-using the nuts than the metal gasket.

http://www.mc2racing.com/products/xr4ti ... index.html
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

hEaT wrote:. I'd be more concerned about re-using the nuts than the metal gasket.
Good point, and I agree. Nevertheless, I would do it all-- do it right, do it once...
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

You guys are lucky to find those gaskets locally! No one local has them in stock (a couple specialty places do, but they want nearly $20).
Jason

2014 Focus ST
JimG
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JimG »

Please post pics of your install! What downpipe are you using? Which Cossie exhaust section did you use the 2wd or 4wd? Any problem connecting the wastegate?

About to do the same
Jim Gosses
86 XR4TI, 165K, T-5, IC, RR, PBR Fronts, T-bird Rear Discs
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

turboplz wrote:You guys are lucky to find those gaskets locally! No one local has them in stock (a couple specialty places do, but they want nearly $20).
Are you telling the parts guy you have a merkur? Or an 88 thunderbird turbocoupe? Any autozone will carry felpro parts. If not, they can get it within a day.
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

Esteban wrote:
turboplz wrote:You guys are lucky to find those gaskets locally! No one local has them in stock (a couple specialty places do, but they want nearly $20).
Are you telling the parts guy you have a merkur? Or an 88 thunderbird turbocoupe? Any autozone will carry felpro parts. If not, they can get it within a day.
I've tried all of those, even a Dodge cummins diesel and no luck. They can order them, but usually if I am there it's because I needed it that day, lol. I don't foresee needing to worry about that issue anywhere in the near future though. I'm going to be consumed by the Focus ST I'm getting in the next couple months. :headbang
Jason

2014 Focus ST