sectioning bumpers (shorting them) bumper tuck

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Larry Velk
Level 1
Level 1

Re: sectioning bumpers (shorting them) bumper tuck

Post by Larry Velk »

If you decide to make repairs or mods to an XR bumper I have personal experience with repair to these units. While I like 3M and I'm sure other brands are OK, I used "Lord Fusor" products - including the surface repair mix - on our XR. Fine you say, but what's the proof of quality? Well the tear has been repaired for over 5 years and is exposed to all sorts of weather and it is still not detectable as a repair. Finish paint is ppg single stage to color. Have also used the Lord Fusor for repair to the "grill" with similar good results. It uses a primer, is a two part and is hard to use, but worth it.
Cleaning the urethane bumper is tricky as you don't want to raise up any silicone that may reside in the first few thousandths of surface or grind in any silicones while preping the area. Super hot soap and water may be better than wax and grease remover for this particular job. I used a super quick wipe and dry with ppg surface cleaner and then the hot water wash. Adhesion has been perfect. I also used the fiber tape from Lord Fusor.
Many products are for specific plastics - our bumpers are old-school and the "Fusor" seems ideal for our plastic mix. If you have a new Honda or something you can get a specific product for those. Some new stuff has the mold release 'built in' to the matrix and those must be pure hell to repair.
'86 928, black, 5sp, red full leather, 55k
(daily driver!)
'91 FZR 1000
'64 XKE FHC, in a thousand pieces
2003 BMW Ci (just like an XR!)
'89 XR, red family car
rab
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rab »

does anyone know the exact type of plastic/urethane the stock u.s. spec bumpers are made out of ?
has anyone tried to plastic weld on a stock bumper?
rab
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rab »

also is this guy from Outcast Fabrications on these forums?
Larry Velk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Larry Velk »

I tried to research the specific plastic used in our bumpers to no avail. It seemed to me (and my repair confirmed it) that ours are the "old school" urethane. I think - don't know for sure - that no one uses this material anymore due to cost and it won't stay straight. If you look our plastic has 'waves' in it which wouldn't be tolerated on new cars. Also I think new plastic has the mold release blended in to speed production.
'86 928, black, 5sp, red full leather, 55k
(daily driver!)
'91 FZR 1000
'64 XKE FHC, in a thousand pieces
2003 BMW Ci (just like an XR!)
'89 XR, red family car