Sold My XR

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
thebronze
Level 7
Level 7

Sold My XR

Post by thebronze »

Well a few weeks ago I sold My XR.... Been slowly selling My extra parts....

Bought something more reliable and easier to find parts for.......

1988 VW Cabriolet... 1.8liter... Almost 1/2 again better on gas
Paid $700... Bought the Centerlines and almost new tires for $200 and sold the original snowflakes and shot tires for $150
Been warm and sunny around here lately.... The girlies love it.... LOL

So when all My parts are gone I'll be saying adios
Kevin
88 VW Cabby...........Starbucks poses by ME
Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid.
-John Wayne
Maxwell

Re: Sold My XR

Post by Maxwell »

Are you the same guy thats on Passionford uk with the same username and lives in Canada?
thebronze
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thebronze »

Can't get anything by You

:cheers
Kevin
-John Wayne
Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Well to be fair, you have the same username and signature as passionford lol
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

You'll be back. :wink:
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
itking
Level 4
Level 4

Post by itking »

I agree, John. Kevin will be back. Merkurs are a terminal addiction.
Ron
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - Magenta [My XR]
1988 Merkur XR4Ti - Bunny [Wife's XR]
1988 Merkur XR4Ti - Raven [Daughter's XR]
1985 Merkur XR4Ti - Wombat [Youngest Son's XR]
1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L - Betsy
2002 Buick Century Custom - Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Charger 383
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Well, whether you have an XR or not, you're always welcome to drop by and offer some "color commentary" form time to time, yeah?
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
thebronze
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thebronze »

No.... I don't think I will be.... Tired of a car that I have to park for weeks on end because I can't find parts... eg. right rear hub nut.... Some stuff is getting too hard to find and I need a car as a daily driver.... The Dub is cheap for parts (rotors $15 bucks each, I can get all 4 motor mounts for less than what it costs for the XR... if You can find em)... Selling what little parts I have left and I'm exit stage right :cheers
Kevin
-John Wayne
xrdoc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xrdoc »

Sad to see another one go, but understandable.
saleen322
Level 1
Level 1

Post by saleen322 »

thebronze wrote:No.... I don't think I will be.... Tired of a car that I have to park for weeks on end because I can't find parts... eg. right rear hub nut.... Some stuff is getting too hard to find and I need a car as a daily driver.... The Dub is cheap for parts (rotors $15 bucks each, I can get all 4 motor mounts for less than what it costs for the XR... if You can find em)... Selling what little parts I have left and I'm exit stage right :cheers
I too understand what you are saying. I am new to the XRs and while I really enjoy mine, the lack of Merkur specific parts support concerns me. It sees just light use because I am always concerned about breaking something. I have no plans to sell it but I would likely jump at the chance to work some trade for a SVO Mustang because they have parts available. Fun car, not a lot of money in it but the lack of parts creates limitations. Best of luck with the VW.
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Guys who are in for the duration have parts, or know where to get 'em.
There's 5 windshields stashed away under the stairs in my garage. Local guys can always come to me for that hub nut, bearing kit, or turn signal switch.
Nice knowin' ya Kevin, be sure to tell the new owner about us!
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

Saleen,

You just have to know where to get the parts. The engine parts are easy, though sometimes you need to change a few things to make it work, like the older valve covers to a newer one.

Most of the interior parts can be bought from Jeff or Mike if you don't want to try across the pond. Of course, a parts car is always a good idea if you can swing it.

But sometimes a small part can shut you down for a week while you can get the same part for other cars pretty much anywhere by the next day at the latest.

It could be worse, it could be a Scorpio, or a Karma.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
thebronze
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thebronze »

My Cabby and Me in Stanley Park, Vancouver.... :headbang

Kevin
-John Wayne
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Well, it looks like a fun car, and of course the aftermarket is immense, so no problem getting it to handle and such as you like. Best of luck with it, enjoy the sunshine. Have been to where you are, and look forward to going back sometime. It's a great town.
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
saleen322
Level 1
Level 1

Post by saleen322 »

DAReese wrote:Saleen,

You just have to know where to get the parts. The engine parts are easy, though sometimes you need to change a few things to make it work, like the older valve covers to a newer one.

Most of the interior parts can be bought from Jeff or Mike if you don't want to try across the pond. Of course, a parts car is always a good idea if you can swing it.

But sometimes a small part can shut you down for a week while you can get the same part for other cars pretty much anywhere by the next day at the latest.

It could be worse, it could be a Scorpio, or a Karma.
Thanks for the response. I have sort of been in this boat before and groups like this are great. Two rebuilds ago I did a formal roof 69 Cobra that was a drag pack car. I love Fords but they always seem to start with a clean sheet of paper when they build something so that nothing else fits. The original 4-speed had been replaced by an automatic to drag race in the 70s and I needed to find a big in-big out top loader because even 390s did not use the same transmission. Then remember a 428 is externally balanced so the 428 CJ uses a different flywheel than a 428 SCJ to offset the Lemans rods, etc. I found one at Carlisle but they are rare because that engine was only around about 3 years and the drag pack option (SCJ) made it even rarer. My Saleen is one of only 20 (12 convertibles and 8 coupes) in 1999 that were based on a Cobra not the more common GT Mustang but even being that rare parts can be had because they are popular and most of the Racecrafters suspension stuff was also sold over the counter so things can be found, etc.

I appreciate all of the help folks here have been and look forward to seeing you all at Carlisle this year.