My NACS fiberglass RS500 front bumper install

Merkur Scorpio / XR4Ti Technical Library - Check here for answers to common questions, problems and modifications.

Moderator: John Brennan

Merkur Club web site
espacef1fan
Level 5
Level 5

Re: My NACS fiberglass RS500 front bumper install

Post by espacef1fan »

merkurdriver, what happened to the thread introducing the new bumpers?
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

[quote="espacef1fan"]merkurdriver, what happened to the thread introducing the new bumpers?[/quote]
Its sort of buried in the classifieds now :
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11025&start=330
XR4Tim

Post by XR4Tim »

Going to be installing a NACS bumper soon. Picked up a whole kit two weeks ago pretty cheap.
Hobgoblyn

Post by Hobgoblyn »

I am not sure of the make I have, I know it is from the UK and I acquired from Phil at opmd years ago. I have been preparing it to mount, got some NOS Hella fogs and the amber sig's from a guy in Poland on eBay. What I am running into, can not keep the bumper period. the bumper shocks stick out too far. I have cut them, they then slid out. I am taking a piece of 3/16 flat steel and mounting it to the bumper struts. My Cossie piece has 4 bolts on each side close to where the original mounts were. Once this new 'bumper' is put in place, I will align it to drill the holes. Once the holes have been drilled and it can be mounted. I will mark the position on the 'struts'. With the fascia removed the 'struts' can be welded at the proper depth and the fascia reassembled. What I am calling 'struts' is the 5mph bump absorbers attached to the bumper. They look kind of like a shock absorber, which is what they are. If I lost anyone, let me clarify; once you cut the 'strut' behind the mounting flange, it will extend out. The variable here is you don't know far back to compress these before welding. With the fascia in place, you can align it before you weld. BTW my mounting points on the fiberglass unit set about 2 and a half inches further in than the mounting points in the car. A little more fabrication than I had expected, but hey it's a Merk!
88 Xr4Ti Mono white T5, Stinger, Turbonetics t3t4, Godzilla bov, Evolution w/g, Spearco FMIC, 65mm TB, Roller Cam, 3'' Borla SS exhaust, Superchip SVO EEC, Centerforce Stage II, Sparco seats, Momo wheel, shifter, and pedals, Phantom gauges,Cosworth RS body panels, Euro lights.
86 White/Gray 5 sp Borla short shifter.
logan_magill

Post by logan_magill »

espacef1fan wrote: Sun May 25, 2014 1:16 pm Fingered it out. There is a through bolt for each of the bumper shocks on the frame rails
Trying to do this now where are the frame rail bolts?