Further Lighting Options.

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
MerlinMerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Further Lighting Options.

Post by MerlinMerkur »

Yeah so of course Im trying to break the mold on this project too. Yeah I know the Euro Sierra lights are only 250-300 but I didnt make those, and they "belong".
SO..
I found some very old glass lense driving lights laying around at work and plopped them in the XRs driving lamp position.. of course half the size they are still brighter than my dull stock ones lol.. but looks crappeh. And they are only 3.5"x6.5" so they no where near fill the hole.

Question is.. are there any (other cars) known subs for lights that even kinda fit in the XR grill space? I've seen some that look great, and are updated.. that are close.. but I cant exactly pull someones lights off in a parking lot and test them and not get into it with the law sSooooOoO.
Any one else travel this path?

I found these.. and they look the right angle/cut.. and have the look/features I want BUT. I dont know the dimensions... OR.. anyone that owns one lol. Maybe one of you does and can take a quick measure/look for me?

BMW E36 Series 92ish to 98ish I think. Saw some on Ebay that got me thinkin...

Item# 180178359495 OR
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... T.m240.lVI

Ideas? Thoughts?
Just run with me a minute here.
~Travis
87.5 Mono XR- LA3, FMIC, Adj Cam, Gillis, CAI/Cone, +15% rates - Koni adj, Coss frnt/rr sways, rr brc., Ported manis, 3" DP w/dualz, PBRs, rear disks and enough gadjets and switches to make Batman jealous! And more comin! Speak up.
salukixr4ti
Level 3
Level 3

headlight options

Post by salukixr4ti »

Why not try a set of taxi lights out of a boeing 737-200? Only other question aside from adding a second alternator would be the low beam/high beam function.
This ain't no disco...It's Wichita.
mikerobison
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikerobison »

Requesting permission for take off!
bw_krupp
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bw_krupp »

Jetta lights have been used. Will match the Jetta bumper as well...
xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrattiracer »

ive seen those (or similar) bmw lights in an xr, looked really good.
86 Silver XR4Ti. 'squirted. 12.7@111
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6
MerlinMerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: headlight options

Post by MerlinMerkur »

salukixr4ti wrote:Why not try a set of taxi lights out of a boeing 737-200? Only other question aside from adding a second alternator would be the low beam/high beam function.
Go ahead and scoff taxi boy!! Its not like TONS of parts from other cars havent been grafted into the XR for "updating" purpose.. and lights HAS to be one of the top candidates. IMO its the worst OE peice/system on the XR overall, idk what they were thinking with plastic lenses and painted internals... sheesh...
Anyway, when I install them and trim the grill to fit perfectly dont ask questions about the install!!

FYI.. my neighbor pulled in with a 96' 740i which has headlights that are practically identical to the E36 ones... I measured the forward angle, the left to right.. top to bottom dimensions... You'd kick yourself.. they are the SAME as the XRs headlight/marker assembly, which of course we are more than happy to get rid of.
Now the only question is the depth of the lights and weather or how much I'd have to cut into the crossbracing/existing light mounting stuff. But that has to be done for the Euro XR lights anyway.

Obviously this is an attractive option because they are in surplus and have a huge aftermarket niche, halo, angel, chrome, projector, all kinda crap I dont know anything about lol.
In fact.. I did some fast photoediting.. and results are salivating.
Ebay is guuuuud lol. Here's a shot with my car and the lights in question.. and one with Full Cossie body... future outlook for my car.

NOW.. tell me that doesnt look purteh.
~Travis
87.5 Mono XR- LA3, FMIC, Adj Cam, Gillis, CAI/Cone, +15% rates - Koni adj, Coss frnt/rr sways, rr brc., Ported manis, 3" DP w/dualz, PBRs, rear disks and enough gadjets and switches to make Batman jealous! And more comin! Speak up.
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

I think it looks pretty good....keep me posted on how this turns out...my stock lights are pretty shot and i like how the halos give the front a more modern look.
mtnXRti
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mtnXRti »

Looks sick bud! I might have to look into this, brackets will be cake to fab up.
'87 XR Street Ninja
'89 XJ Urban Krawler

Aaron
Longmont, CO
cmanreinhart
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Further Lighting Options.

Post by cmanreinhart »

I know this is bit of a thread dig up... But does anyone have any pictures of any the bmw e36 headlights installed on a XR because I know the turn signals on the e36 are on the corners so how would that work with the XR with the XR's being on the inside of the grill with the (cosworth grill)??

And also ive heard you guys talking about the jetta headlights are those close enough dimensions to fit in the cosworth light opening ?

Any other suggestions of headlights that might work?

And im only asking this because im on a budget and dont really have the money to buy the cosworth headlights :/

-Thanks, Conner
-Conner
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 »

you can use the mustang head lights. :cheers
Miguel.
89 XR4Ti Monique; Waking up a real "Night/Mare-Coor".
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).
cmanreinhart
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cmanreinhart »

In XS 7 wrote:you can use the mustang head lights. :cheers
Ohhh yeah forgot all about those and how they would fit, they look really good! But I guess I was just wondering if theres another one piece headlight out there That would fit in the cossie grill headlight aera besides the cosworth headlights?

-Thanks, Conner
Last edited by cmanreinhart on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Conner
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Give the year/model range for those, if you would, please. Thank you. 8)
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
itking
Level 4
Level 4

Post by itking »

I'd like some details on those mustang headlights? What year are they from? Original or after markets?
Ron
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - Magenta [My XR]
1988 Merkur XR4Ti - Bunny [Wife's XR]
1988 Merkur XR4Ti - Raven [Daughter's XR]
1985 Merkur XR4Ti - Wombat [Youngest Son's XR]
1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L - Betsy
2002 Buick Century Custom - Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Charger 383
tcwell
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tcwell »

Those mustang headlights are aftermarket, 87-93. Make sure you don't buy the one piece variety, they have corner glass that wraps around the side that you don't want.
-Tom-

Don't believe everything you think
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 »

Yes they are 87-93 year mustang, mine are aftermarket from e-bay, there are few different models/types of light/bulbs, like he said, make sure you don't get the one piece assembly, here are the ones I get, this is the whole light assembly for one side. (In the picture you can see some kind of lines/design on the lens but when you have these lights in front of you they look crystal clear).

Last edited by In XS 7 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miguel.
89 XR4Ti Monique; Waking up a real "Night/Mare-Coor".
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).