New Member (kind of)

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
boost_is_fun
Level 1
Level 1

New Member (kind of)

Post by boost_is_fun »

Ugh, I just typed up my intro, and then my internet crapped out, and I lost it, so here goes again:

I've had an XR for the past 3 years. The kind-of in the subject stems from the fact that I haven't formally joined, and won't be buying into the club until I get home from school in April.

I've been reading a lot on this forum already, and have been posting questions for a few days now, but I figured I should write up a more formal intro.

I've loved merkurs since I can remember, my first specific memory is my dad teaching me to shift in the black '88 my parents bought from my grandpa (he's had 7). My mom has told me stories of her blue '87 (I think) she says my dad married her for her car. Ever since I started thinking about what car I wanted when I was old enough to drive (probably about age 8) it was a merkur the XR specifically.

I had lost hope after the black car was ruined by a drunk neighbor (long story). But a little while after I got my permit, I got home from school to see my grandpa's last merkur, a red '89 in our driveway, he had to drive it 7 hours to get it to me. He said, "if it still runs if you're 16, it's yours." he seemed a little doubtful that it would.

It did though, and I still have it. I've loved it to death. Hit a deer last year and needed a new radiator. The passenger fender is ruined, as is the grill, bumper, hood, left headlight and parking light, and both fog lights. A few months after, one of the two hoses above the turbo that goes to the heater core exploded at the same time a part of the heater core went bust, causing coolant to pour into the passenger footwell as I was getting pulled over for not having a left headlight (what a night!). The year before, I was driving to a job shadow with a mechanic when my brakes failed while going 35mph. I stopped by throwing the car into 1st and pulling the e-brake, coming to a halt 1.5 feet from the car in front of me. One master cylinder, two wheel cylinders, and over 9000 :x :banghead :beats head (I swear!) times bleeding the brakes, it was finally fixed. All of these problems, and many other smaller ones, have earned the car the nickname of "Starship Enterprise" among most of my friends. I kind of prefer "millenium falcon" myself, its fast, when it works.

The car currently runs and is at over 254000 miles on the odometer, but it smokes when it's turned on, the turbo boosts to 5psi before holding and popping to 12, the tach is bad, the leather is ruined, the dash is a little cracked, and the previously mentioned body problems are still around. My dream is to turn it into a weekend warrior/potential autox or rally car when I have some dough. I think it would be super cool to keep my first car forever, but it isn't likely to happen. I'm going on a 2 year mission for my church and my family will almost certainly move while I'm gone maybe even over-seas.

All of my (very limited) mechanical experience comes from tinkering on this car, and help from neighbors. I've been taught basic arc, mig, and acetylene welding from a high school class. I'm studying Mechanical Engineering at BYU, and am going to teach myself to tig weld this semester.

Thanks to all of those on the forum who have already welcomed me and answered my questions thus far. Also a preemptive thanks to all those who will. I hope to be an active part of this forum, especially since I don't have either my XR or my (fathers technically) audi with me at school. Hopefully I can contribute something to make up for what will be a one-way relationship I'm sure, all of the people on this forum seem light-years ahead of me. :notworthy

Sorry for the long-winded intro, excited to be a more active part of the merkur world! :headbang
Connor
'89 XR 254000 miles. Stock (until spring, then poor college student mods begin)
'99 Audi B5 A4 2.8 v6 (Technically my dad's, but he doesn't drive it)
Since I'm a Noob, i'll put an apology for dumb questions down here. I'm 19 and completely self-taught
turboxr
Level 5
Level 5

Re: New Member (kind of)

Post by turboxr »

Welcome Connor!
boost_is_fun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by boost_is_fun »

turboxr wrote:Welcome Connor!
Thanks! :cheers
Connor
Since I'm a Noob, i'll put an apology for dumb questions down here. I'm 19 and completely self-taught
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

You're clearly on a "mission" here, one longer than two years, too. Much longer...as you'll soon realize.

You LDS (and maybe future LSD... :D ) members here are great additions. You might look here for a forerunner from Utah of about 4/5 years ago arrived here with a similar background and outlook, named Ed. Search here for Sugar Beat, the name I suggested for his XR based on its color and primary agricultural crop grown in his area. With the LDS expertise in genealogy probably can track him down in the blink of an eye. You and have lots in common.

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
boost_is_fun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by boost_is_fun »

Ed Lijewski wrote:You're clearly on a "mission" here, one longer than two years, too. Much longer...as you'll soon realize.

You LDS (and maybe future LSD... :D ) members here are great additions. You might look here for a forerunner from Utah of about 4/5 years ago arrived here with a similar background and outlook, named Ed. Search here for Sugar Beat, the name I suggested for his XR based on its color and primary agricultural crop grown in his area. With the LDS expertise in genealogy probably can track him down in the blink of an eye. You and have lots in common.

YMMV 8)
Thanks, I'm impressed you read the whole thing, didn't think people would bother.
LSD will be YEARS down the road, if at all. I can hope though.
Connor
turboxr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turboxr »

There are a few of us crazy LDS round these parts Ed. :)
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Happy to say that Sugar Beat is alive and well and living in Scottsdale, AZ. She arrived to me in trade for a Miata from one Patrick (was known as "Frodo Baggins" here; haven't heard from him in a while), who was moving to SoCal. She has over a quarter of a million miles on the clock, and I've done quite a few things to her, and plan to do quite a few more, if the demands of the 21st Century, home ownership, 5 kids, and two grandchildren will allow me to. Ed lived in Lehi; not sure if he's still there.

Utah is one of the prettiest States in the Union, if you ask me, and I'm always up for a trip up that way. Was in SLC and various locales in the vicinity, including Park City, Tooele (love the Miller track there-- took a peak passing by!), Sandy, Murray, Farmington, and Layton, a few months ago on business, but even business ends up being a pleasure in Utah. :headbang
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
boost_is_fun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by boost_is_fun »

Utah is pretty, but personally I prefer Colorado and Washington. Though the proximity of the mountains in Utah is hard to beat for sure.
Connor
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

In my experience knowing and working with several LDSs, and maybe many more whom I met unaware of that connection because I didn't ask, LDSers are about the nicest people in every single regard. :notworthy

Run again Mitt Romney!

YMMV 8) (in Kensington, Maryland where a Mormon Tabernacle with the Angel Moroni on the top of its spire is visible to all traffic on our Beltway, I-495)

"El Cuello Duro" = hard-head? :lol:
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
boost_is_fun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by boost_is_fun »

Ed Lijewski wrote:In my experience knowing and working with several LDSs, and maybe many more whom I met unaware of that connection because I didn't ask, LDSers are about the nicest people in every single regard. :notworthy

Run again Mitt Romney!

YMMV 8) (in Kensington, Maryland where a Mormon Tabernacle with the Angel Moroni on the top of its spire is visible to all traffic on our Beltway, I-495)

That was actually the first temple I went to (I think). Used to live in severn, MD 6 years ago now. My dad's DoD, so I've lived in quite a few places.
Connor
turboxr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turboxr »

Ed Lijewski wrote:In my experience knowing and working with several LDSs, and maybe many more whom I met unaware of that connection because I didn't ask, LDSers are about the nicest people in every single regard. :notworthy

Thanks ed. Yeah it actually means hard neck. Comes from have too big a head sometimes. :p