The Golden 89 XR

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
blugg
Level 7
Level 7

Re: The Golden 89 XR

Post by blugg »

Refreshing news
Jeff
GeneticRehab
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GeneticRehab »

Well I'm bringing this post from the dead. With the recent sale of my 86. I have a new found desire to work on the Gold XR. Sense the last post, mice have ruined the interior of the car. I don't have much left. So now I need to get the mouse $#!* smell out of the car. I had pulled 16 nests from the car. This has made life difficult. I'm working on the best way to remove the fowl odor. Any suggestions would be great. Looking at using bleach water mix or vinegar water mix. Let me what you have used in the past. Thank you.
Jason Liss
1989 XR Still in pieces

1986 XR Sold!
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Gutted interior and some new racing seats.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Good to see you're not completely getting out of the game Jason. In general, I would agree with Andy's comment above, if only as a starting point. Get the interior out of the car. At best, only put back the carpet, not those underlayment pieces; you'll never get the smell out of those, plus they hold moisture and promote rust.

The whole dash needs to come out and all the HVAC ducting. Mice love to take up residence in those.

Look forward to seeing the progress pics! :headbang
Brad
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I guess you could clean the interior panels pretty easy and re-install them. Maybe shop-vac the carpet really good and febreze the hell out of it. Good time to do some rust repairs if needed. I've had good luck with that dupi-color spray can dye on carpet also, in case you want to make it all black or dark charcoal grey to hide stains.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

Kilz will help seal the odor in for whatever you can't remove on the floor. Also a good time to use POR15 to stop the rust.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?