Swapping cold side for ihi from turbo coupe?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Choochoochoo
Level 4
Level 4

Swapping cold side for ihi from turbo coupe?

Post by Choochoochoo »

I know the cold side is different, but is the hot side different too? I just want a fun street car, I don't need huge power, just huge grins! Would I be better off just swapping the whole turbo?
2000 Dodge Durango 5.9 (gone, and missed)
2008 Mercedes Benz R320CDI
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Swapping cold side for ihi from turbo coupe?

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

The IHI shares nothing with a T-3. It's an "all or none" swap.
Brad
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

Boy between you and Chew chew we're going to get to see every dead end idea of the last nearly 28 years.

Do it..that's the answer.
If you have a idea that's brilliant, why ask?

And why research?

I've given those little POS pieces of s**t away but I made sure it was to somebody with a 1.5 liter motor.
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/
Choochoochoo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Choochoochoo »

It's pieces of $#!* like you, mr John v, that make people not want to have anything to do with forums like this.. Maybe you should just keep your mouth shut if you don't have any relevant information to the question..... Get a life, and quit being a duesche... Since when did a simple question require such hostility for an answer? Never. Maybe you should just ignore any posts from people you don't want to answer, instead of trying your best to make yourself look like a total a hole.... Life is better when your happy... You should try it some time...
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matt01 »

Choochoochoo wrote:It's pieces of $#!* like you, mr John v, that make people not want to have anything to do with forums like this.. Maybe you should just keep your mouth shut if you don't have any relevant information to the question..... Get a life, and quit being a duesche... Since when did a simple question require such hostility for an answer? Never. Maybe you should just ignore any posts from people you don't want to answer, instead of trying your best to make yourself look like a total a hole.... Life is better when your happy... You should try it some time...
calm your tits.
To be fair, 8 of the posts on the main page are of you asking questions that HAVE been answered before. I know you need to start somewhere, but why not make 1 thread with all your questions in 1 place?
Also John V has done more for the community than you EVER will or can dream of, liked or not..
If you don't like it, you can leave too..
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Can we get back on topic kids? :roll:
Brad
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Calling an inanimate object like an IHI a POS is well within the rules. Calling a person a POS is not. Let's not have that again.

Thank you.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Choochoochoo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Choochoochoo »

I will apologize for my loss of temper, however, I will stand by my previous comment of, if you don't have anything constructive, or useful to say, then just don't.
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

Choochoochoo wrote:I will apologize for my loss of temper, however, I will stand by my previous comment of, if you don't have anything constructive, or useful to say, then just don't.
What I said is perfectly constructive. You're going to have a hard life modding cars and doing whatever job you are supposed to do if your reactions to somebody telling you that some whim idea isn't a hot idea is taken by you to be anger and provokes a verbal tantrum..
You don't know what is useful. You don't know enough to know what is constructive. YET.

I gather you're military from some reference I saw elsewhere "in my battalion" or something.. Give you a free tip, son: you're a noob in this outfit and I suspect a noob in life..When you're a noob it is normal to respond to noob-ish behavior --characterized by undisciplined musings, monumentally grandiose ideas and making little fists and stamping your feet when you're calmly and GENEROUSLY saved from your foolishness----with peremptory answers.

Didn't somebody 'splain you when you joined up some version of "You are lower than whale-$#!*, son. and nuthing is lower than whale-$#!*...You are so low that you could walk on stilts, wearing a top hat, and not scrape the belly of an amoeba, that's how low you are"
Well you're a noob, its your role in life to get some flak.

Thing is YOU didn't get flak..Your idea didn't either---the little microscopic IHI did..

Seriously I kindly suggested that as a serious engine builder guy building hi performance furrin Fords for 40 years, I cannot bring myself to think and respond seriously to people who exist with just a 'screen name' , particularly one my kids would have thought cute when they were 2...

Buck up. You don't have to be serious--hell I always say I don't get paid enough to act serious on forums---but wake up. Talk to somebody about your temper, this country in in deep sh1t because of young men who don't know $#!* with chips on their shoulders and tempers butting heads with other young men who don't know $#!* with chips on their shoulders---who are armed--and that could be the 99% of bad cops who give the 1% of good ones a bad name, or crazy fawkers who are willing to die because everybody keeps invading their turf.

So let's review, shall we.

There was no hostility toward anybody in my post. The idea was founded on a simple logic---they stuck the junk on Thunderchickens so maybe there's a reason..but since typing is easier than searching and reading and thinking you ask a scattered, confused semi-question..
I said "do it"
And added I have given those things away--it was a member here and an old friend "Frag" aka DJ who said to me "You know they're worthless and you hate those little things, why would you sell them if they're worthless?"
He was right, and ya know what, kid? I thanked him for reminding me to be a moral man.
If I hate 'em and know they're useless, how could i sell them (had 2 off a couple of Thunderchickens i bout and parted when I needed head cores).

YOU are not an IHI.. Your ideas are not an IHI.. The IHI is a thing...good for somebody with a little 1300-1600cc engine.
You recieved good relevant information. It came in a format that evidently was too something for you.

And you responded like spoiled child....Shamefully.

Suggested remedy: a)change your name to your real name. b) Put your actual location up in the sidebar thing.. c)When somebody generously takes the time to help you with all the things you don't know about cars and turbos and working on cars, thank them.
d) Show some respect for the experienced guys who work on these cars and make parts for them for a living---not junk wanking over them.

Because actually, in the end, it is guys like you, who explode and cry when their brilliant ideas are not adored, who drive experienced, helpful, optimistic guys away from forums and what remains is a little isolated band of guys doing a 20 year circle jerk..over and over and over, just fap fap fap fap.
Hey, you like giving guys a reach-around? fine.. But I don't swing that way.. And I have engines to build so whatever Chew chew..
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

In short, the IHI is very small and not well-suited to the 2.3, at all.

If you want something fun for a street car:

- Get a real tune or standalone ECU
- Proper intercooler
- 3" downpipe and exhaust
- Hug it out with John V and get a Cossie turbine housing from him
Choochoochoo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Choochoochoo »

What's the difference between the cossie housing and the stock one that I have? I was thinking maybe a .50 ar housing in place of the stocker...
1985 Merkur XR4Ti
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Choochoochoo wrote:What's the difference between the cossie housing and the stock one that I have? I was thinking maybe a .50 ar housing in place of the stocker...
Big, big difference. This is for the exhaust side though.

Ton of pics here that show that turbo and the same hot side combined with a T4 50trim compressor:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=17035
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

You know the whole center section, the CHRA, is same between Xratty and 4x4 Cosworth, only the housings and the wastegate actuator and associated mounts are different.
And 4x4 is bigger compressor swheel than 2wd--
And 4x4 is safe up to about 300 hp---and so nice on the pull.
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA