merkur-sierra winter photos

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
duncan1437
Level 2
Level 2

merkur-sierra winter photos

Post by duncan1437 »

a few winter photos, some real, some not:

some more very nice rafa cosworth photos for idle time viewing over the holidays:

http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewt ... hilit=rafa

http://www.imgrum.net/user/rafacosworth/559068083

merry xmas/happy holidays everyone. i'm outta here, gotta get back to peeling potatoes for xmas dinner :)
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Re: merkur-sierra winter photos

Post by DAReese »

They're a blast to drive in the winter, assuming they haven't been lowered so that a snowflake or two bottoms you out. I won't drive mine more because of salt on the roads than because of the way it handles in the snow. Some good tires for winter and it handles so differently. Still would have a ground clearance problem though.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I tried to move my red car out of its parking spot and it only went a couple feet. Learned about 2.5 inches of snow is the limit. Nicer one doesn't go around in the winter time. Plus I took out the heater/ac stuff to discourage future owners after I'm dead.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
duncan1437
Level 2
Level 2

Post by duncan1437 »

my last RWD winter daily driver was a 1973 datsun 510. looked similar to this, but with cosmic wheels

went to the scrap yard about 1981. all my subsequent RWD cars have been garaged from mid november to mid april.
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matt01 »

I tried to take it around the block in the snow. it has summer tires, full suspension, it was useless, The rear tires just spun, I couldnt accelerate in the snow.

I would have to try it with snow tires, but Im really not interested in doing that.

In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 »

Matt01 wrote:I tried to take it around the block in the snow. it has summer tires, full suspension, it was useless, The rear tires just spun, I couldnt accelerate in the snow.

I would have to try it with snow tires, but Im really not interested in doing that.

Do you have an LSD or a stock open differential? Mine was like that with the stock differential but after I put the Eaton limited slip differential from mc2racing it can go on a heavy snow street with no problems at all and that with summer tires.
Miguel.
89 XR4Ti Monique; Waking up a real "Night/Mare-Coor".
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matt01 »

In XS 7 wrote:
Matt01 wrote:I tried to take it around the block in the snow. it has summer tires, full suspension, it was useless, The rear tires just spun, I couldnt accelerate in the snow.

[/url]
Do you have an LSD or a stock open differential? Mine was like that with the stock differential but after I put the Eaton limited slip differential from mc2racing it can go on a heavy snow street with no problems at all and that with summer tires.
I also have the Eaton. Do you have performance tires?
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 »

No, just cheap set of tires. :cheers
Miguel.
89 XR4Ti Monique; Waking up a real "Night/Mare-Coor".
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matt01 »

In XS 7 wrote:No, just cheap set of tires. :cheers
i have 215 performance tires, i could drive sideways down the street after a snowfall, but actually getting up to 50-60 km/h and stopping, not down.
$KRILLA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by $KRILLA »

Moar pics
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

I'm amazed you don't get stuck, but the weather lately has been more like Seattle than Kewanee.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

eaton53 wrote:
I'm amazed you don't get stuck, but the weather lately has been more like Seattle than Kewanee.
When I left Seattle a couple of weeks ago, it was covered in snow! Big winter in the PNW.

Solar Minimum FTW.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost