AC Receiver Dryer Sourcing

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
alexob53
Level 1
Level 1

AC Receiver Dryer Sourcing

Post by alexob53 »

Hello Merkurites,

A little backstory: I am delving into getting my A/C working again, the previous owner had the system converted to R134a. After vacuuming the system I began to fill it with freon and found a huge leak out of the high pressure hose routed above the turbo. After using a sketchy splice kit, I went to fill the system, the compressor kicked on but the belt was slipping and squealing, then the splice kit came loose (I was asking for it). I now have the elongated high pressure hose and I'm almost ready to try again, but since the system has been open I will need to replace the receiver/dryer.

So, the current dryer is a stock-looking unit mounted in the stock location. I know I need a dryer specific to R134a, so does anyone know of a direct fit with a desiccant that will work with R134a and mount with ease on the stock fittings and in the stock location? Thanks everyone and have a good week!

Alex
88 Merkur XR4Ti manual
90 Chrysler TC by Maserati 16V
00 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 5-speed
01 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins 5-speed
08 Smart Fortwo
08 BMW 135i Cabriolet
mopman93
Level 2
Level 2

Re: AC Receiver Dryer Sourcing

Post by mopman93 »

I doubt such a thing exists. There is a NOS unit on ebay right now.

I would contact Vintage Air, tell them what you're trying to do and they can help you out.

Probably cheapest way out would be to purchase a r134 drier from vintage air and get one or two hoses made to adapt it to the condenser.

the vintage air stuff works, I've used it on a number of projects.

btw, 80's 911 driers look similar to xrs.
Merkurfast
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Merkurfast »

Arizona Mobile Air is what I recommend. Website is ackits.com. They have everything when comes to fittings, elbows, condensers. Think about swapping out the Merkur condenser with a aftermarket crossflow condenser, which are more effecient and are used in newer cars. They will save space. AMA prices aren't bad. I made a custom condenser set up with my own brackets for my BMW which is still r12, and it works better than the old stock. Blugg can help you with receiver dryer
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

You can use an oem dryer and the kit from http://es-refrigerants.com/?site=dom has the fittings.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Envirosafe may not be uh envirosafe: it contains propane and butane.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

What is different about dessicant for use with R12 and with R134a?

YMMV
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Ed wrote
"Envirosafe may not be uh envirosafe: it contains propane and butane."

Ed
:roll: I read the instructions, therefore I don' have a cige hanging from mouth nor betwix fingers when screwing up my Scorpio's AC. It worked great until condenser started leaking. I have parts, just have to decide to R&R or sell Scorpio.

"dessicant" U remind me of an adv. client I had. He had Masters from Wharton. After I returned from every meeting, Col would ask me "what new word did you learn today"?

See u @ Carlisle...
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

The potential danger is more if an underhood issue occurred while operating, an oil leak fire, gas line leak fire..., causing a/c hoses to burn releasing propane/butane, accelerants (another new word... ;) ).

In receiver driers, refrigerant enters in liquid (high pressure form) at the upper section and drops and pools at the bottom, then is picked up by a dip tube and exits towards the expansion valve. Dessicant absorbs any moisture iin the peocess.

R1343a is a larger molecule than R12; but does that after dessicant effectiveness/efficiency?

Hi, Col! :)

YMMV
alexob53
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alexob53 »

Ed Lijewski wrote:What is different about dessicant for use with R12 and with R134a?

YMMV
I've heard that some R12 receiver/drier dessicants can turn to gel if R134a is used, I think that might apply to the mineral oil mixing with the PAG oil if you don't use Ester and don't change the receiver/drier right after doing the conversion.

I also think I might just try vacuuming and charging the system since my low pressure side was open, the compressor and expansion valve should block too much moisture from getting into the high pressure size and filling up the receiver/dryer. On the other hand, I don't want to ruin my compressor. Anyways, those are my developments so far.
88 Merkur XR4Ti manual
90 Chrysler TC by Maserati 16V
00 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 5-speed
01 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins 5-speed
08 Smart Fortwo
08 BMW 135i Cabriolet
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

A long vacuum pull (overnight) on a closed system would seem sufficient to evacuate all buy minor amounts of whatever lubricant was in the system along with refrigerant and moisture (even from the dessicant I assume). But, my comment was principally that a new OEM Merkur receiver drier should work as well with R134a as with R12.

IYMMV
XR4Matt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by XR4Matt »

the dryers are different on 85s verse 86 and up and so is the skinny hi side hose. i bought a new dryer for an 85 i had. It either came from rockauto or ebay but i had to buy a used high side hose for a later car to make it work.

I also used the es12 stuff.. it works okay i followed the instructions and didnt vacuum the system before charging.

When i get into the AC on my current car im going to use the envirosafe industrial stuff which says it gets colder.