Bolting block to an engine stand

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
fdt93
Level 2
Level 2

Bolting block to an engine stand

Post by fdt93 »

Here's a stupid newbie question...

I'm pulling the motor for the first time. I have the hoist and the stand. But I've found that the transmission bolts aren't long enough to go all the way through the engine stand mounting arms. What kind of bolts have y'all used to get the engine block bolted to the engine stand?

Is it just a matter of taking one of the bolts to a hardware store and finding 4 of them with the same diameter and thread pitch but about 1/2 an inch longer?
On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
-Charles Babbage
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: Bolting block to an engine stand

Post by merkurdriver »

fdt93 wrote:
Is it just a matter of taking one of the bolts to a hardware store and finding 4 of them with the same diameter and thread pitch but about 1/2 an inch longer?
Yes :)

I'm looking at one on a stand here now and it looks like I'm using the top 2 bellhousing (trans) locations and bolts, and the bottom sides I have some random long bolts through the (non-threaded) holes on the block with washers and nuts on the other side.
fdt93
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fdt93 »

I found some bolts and washers at Ace Hardware that I think will work. I'll find out this Saturday.

Thanks for the input, Mike.
On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
-Charles Babbage
dunhamr1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dunhamr1 »

I had to get some extra-long bolts to get mine to attach to the engine stand, worked great after that.
-Ryan Dunham
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - nickname: "SheaXR4"
Daily: 2016 VW Golf R "Matti"
E-Street Autocross car: 2001 Mazda Miata
Old daily: 2003 VW Golf MkIV TDI, 200k+ mi

"Racing is Life. Anything else is just waiting." -Steve McQueen
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

Long term a couple plates of steel and a length of tube and you can do what I did and assemble the entire engine including the flywheel an clutch pressure plate in the stand..

Zap zap. easy...
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/
sabre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sabre »

That is an EXCELLENT idea! Thanks