1985 XR4ti rebuild/restore project Phase 1

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
grampy666
Level 2
Level 2

1985 XR4ti rebuild/restore project Phase 1

Post by grampy666 »

The story.

One owner car damaged in a highway slide-off @65MPH into the median during an ice storm. Missed the guard rail and rock outcrops, but plowed into some small trees. Mostly sheet metal damage and some suspension damage. When the car was repaired and returned to me, the body shop said their alignment contractor "couldn't align to specs" and the car had serious "wander"issues. Here's the alignment specs...toe is toe-tally out of whack.

specs from the body shop alignment:
FRONT TOE TOTAL LEFT RIGHT
minimum +0.03”
maximum +0.12”
before -0.15” -0.06” -0.08”
after -0.39” -0.20” -0.19”

FRONT CAMBER
LEFT RIGHT
minimum -1.50 deg -1.50 deg
maximum +0.50 deg +0.50 deg
before -1.10 deg +0.10 deg
after -2.00 deg -0.70 deg

Took it to a few alignment shops and local mechanics, but as soon as the words "it was in an accident" came out of my mouth, they shook their heads and said "bent frame". I didn't believe it, because I didn't hit anything really hard, but finally took the car off the road and put it inside in my heated garage in 1999, because it failed safety inspections.

Fast forward to 2014. My girlfriend's been giving me grief for years about when I'm going to work on the car and I finally decide to tear down the suspension, steering and cross member to look for unrepaired damage. No obvious damage to TCAs, struts, sway bar, power steering rack or cross member. No apparent frame damage, but I still need to do some measuring to make sure.

Here's the likely culprit. Look at that crusty driver's side tie rod. Adjusting nut was frozen and has been broken loose in the pic.

The passenger side by comparison. It had been replaced by the body shop.

Pile o' suspension parts. All original equipment w/136K miles. Plan to replace TCAs, struts, springs and bushings.

Crusty oil pan is next for R&R

Front view. I'm better at wood fabrication than metal. chains wrap around motor mounts

-Michael-

1985 XR4TI - one owner - off the road since 1999, finally starting to work on it!
grampy666
Level 2
Level 2

Re: 1985 XR4ti rebuild/restore project Phase 1

Post by grampy666 »

Not much progress this month. I blew my August budget on new TCAs and bushings and the bushings turned out to be not what I wanted. But the budget fairy stopped by last night and replenished my funds, so I placed an order for new PowerFlex bushings and nylon steering rack bushings from MC2. In the meantime, I've been picking up odds & ends, R&R'ing the oil pan, crossmember and PS rack and getting ready to put the front end back together.

The daily drivers also need attention. My GF's Subaru broke a hose clamp, popped an AT cooler line and left her stranded 50 miles away, so I had to rent a tow dolly, bring the car home, diagnose, repair and do routine maintenance. The Sable has an intermittent "check engine" light and needs an oil change and so does the F250.

Not to mention winter is coming to New England and I need to get 3 cords of wood in so I can stay warm. That project got complicated when I misjudged the lean and weight of an oak tree and dropped it on the roof of the house. :oops: Fortunately, it fell gently and I was able to call on a neighbor to help me get it off the roof with minimal damage.
-Michael-

1985 XR4TI - one owner - off the road since 1999, finally starting to work on it!
MercMike
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MercMike »

I hoping you get it going and well.
Most of us are natural lurkers, but I think to see one saved is great.
'85 XR
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

( x 2 ) Keep the progress ball rolling :cheers
grampy666
Level 2
Level 2

Post by grampy666 »

well, it's been over 2 years since I made any real progress...severe monthly cash flow issues and my truck ate up 5K in repairs (tires, brakes, ball joints, etc.)...and technology has passed me by in the meantime...I can't e-mail pics from my dumb flip phone anymore...

But things are looking brighter and new KYB front struts with 200lb-in springs from MC2 are installed. next steps - tie rods and the infamous sway bar bushing captive nut fix (at least on the passenger side for now)...then unfreeze the rear drums and take the car off the jack stands so I can ballpark the toe-in alignment and have some confidence that I fixed the original problem that made me take the car off the road almost 20 years ago...
-Michael-

dunhamr1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dunhamr1 »

Keep it going. Good to see progress to be made!
-Ryan Dunham
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - nickname: "SheaXR4"
Daily: 2016 VW Golf R "Matti"
E-Street Autocross car: 2001 Mazda Miata
Old daily: 2003 VW Golf MkIV TDI, 200k+ mi

"Racing is Life. Anything else is just waiting." -Steve McQueen
grampy666
Level 2
Level 2

Post by grampy666 »

Things are looking very encouraging. New struts and springs up front and new shocks in the rear. I installed studs in the swaybar bushing captive nuts and did a redneck fix on the one broken captive nut. Studs make it so much easier to install the sway bar, I can see why many XRs strip or cross-thread those nuts. Took it off the jack stands, loaded the suspension and torqued up the sway bar with no problems, then I torqued up the LCAs. Lo and behold, with the free'd up tie rod jamb nuts, and using a 2x6 aluminum beam from my chainsaw lumber mill and a couple of rafter squares, I was able to ballpark the toe-in on each wheel to 0.032"!

Next steps, flush radiator and heater core, grab a water pump, thermostat and all new coolant hoses and I should be ready to try to start her up after 18 years of sitting!
-Michael-

grampy666
Level 2
Level 2

Post by grampy666 »

New timing belt and tensioner installed. I broke the cam timing pointer off the inner cover, but was able to "r&r" a metal one from my '79 Turbo Mustang motor. I re-installed the stock plastic outer cover because it's got the ignition timing scale, but I will probably get one of those CNC machined timing scales and run with the metal outer cover from the same Turbo mustang motor

New water pump and thermostat installed. Pulleys all "r&r"'ed and installed. Installed a power steering cooler in the driver's side wheel well. Ordered every replacement cooling hose that BAT carries. I will probably go with the stock radiator in order to get the car running and that will be the end of Phase 1!

Sorry for no pics - my dumb flip phone has a lousy camera and my service provider doesn't support e-mailing from a flip phone anyway.
-Michael-

dunhamr1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dunhamr1 »

Almost there!

If you need a different way to do it, look up the "String method" for setting the timing, that could help you if you're missing the rear timing cover and think it might be a bit out.

Hopefully you can get 'er on the road soon. Tip that someone gave me getting started (still getting started really):

-Use straight water in the cooling system for first fill and start-up.

There's always something that'll be leaking, and this way you're not dripping slimy coolant all over everything because of the one hose clamp you forgot to tighten. When you've verified no leaks, drain and then fill with std Green coolant/distilled water mix.
-Ryan Dunham

grampy666
Level 2
Level 2

Post by grampy666 »

Almost there, indeed! :cheers

I had read about the string method for cam timing on TF (I think). This might be useful as a double-check, but the salvaged inner cover has a single pointer which appears to be in the same location as the middle of the three-pointer original. If it's slightly off, it would only be off by a portion of a tooth.

Good tip about straight water for fire-up. I think I read on this forum about a member who ran straight vinegar in the cooling system during fire-up to get it all nice and clean and I will probably do that. The original radiator is serviceable and it is an all-metal replacement that I bought from Rapido 20+ years ago. I really want one of Mike's new IC/Rad combos, but money will be tight this summer.

When I am able to move the car under its own power, it will be time to sell the other project car, an '88 Thunderbird LX with a 5.0. Even though I love the performance potential of the small-block Ford, restoring a car is expensive and I'd rather spend the time and money on the Merkur.
-Michael-

dunhamr1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dunhamr1 »

Vinegar is probably a good idea... I might need to do that and stop letting an already rusty cooling system sit with tap water...
-Ryan Dunham

grampy666
Level 2
Level 2

Post by grampy666 »

no progress this month. budget got shot due to $400 worth of work to the GF's Subaru (brakes, ball joint) so it can pass state inspection and new hoses from BAT are still sitting in a box waiting to be installed on the Merkur. then my step-daughter had to move out of a rented house by 6/23 and waited until 6/20 to start looking for a place to live. needless to say, she moved in with me and her mother and is still here...wassamatta w/kids these days?
-Michael-