Newer spare tire/wheel option - Ford Fiesta

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Newer spare tire/wheel option - Ford Fiesta

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

By now most of the original spare tires have cracked and split and died. Many of us have replaced them with Saab 900 and 9000 spares, but even those are getting old now, the newest being over 20 years old now. While looking for something else on eBay this morning, I stumbled across a 2011 - '16 Fiesta spare tire. Bonus points for it being an Aluminum wheel; negative points for it being only a 15" wheel, so it may not clear the typical big brake upgrades.

Has anyone tried one?
Brad
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Newer spare tire/wheel option - Ford Fiesta

Post by jkxr4ti »

We just bought a steel fiesta spare this summer for Joe's car.
It has Stock brakes so no experience with it on a large rotor car.
It did fit as expected and as I recall it was closer to the diameter
of the factory tire OD than the original mini spare was.
Plus it did fit the factory spare tire well and was hubcentric.
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

If you have the wheel, why not just replace the tire? Tirerack sells them, I'm sure others do as well.

Personally, I dumped the spare and switched a "mobility kit" from a... Hyundai? Compressor, goop, bag. Saves weight, saves space, and it's nice having a compressor in the car. I have low tires way more often than flat tires. Last flat I had was maybe 14 years ago.
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

thesameguy wrote:If you have the wheel, why not just replace the tire? Tirerack sells them, I'm sure others do as well.

Personally, I dumped the spare and switched a "mobility kit" from a... Hyundai? Compressor, goop, bag. Saves weight, saves space, and it's nice having a compressor in the car. I have low tires way more often than flat tires. Last flat I had was maybe 14 years ago.
Because you can always replace a flat with a spare. You can't always fix a tire.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:By now most of the original spare tires have cracked and split and died. Many of us have replaced them with Saab 900 and 9000 spares, but even those are getting old now, the newest being over 20 years old now. While looking for something else on eBay this morning, I stumbled across a 2011 - '16 Fiesta spare tire. Bonus points for it being an Aluminum wheel; negative points for it being only a 15" wheel, so it may not clear the typical big brake upgrades.

Has anyone tried one?
My understanding is the spare will fit on the rear tire even with the disc upgrade. That just means with a front flat you need to change two tires, back to front and spare on the back.
David Reese

thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

DAReese wrote:Because you can always replace a flat with a spare. You can't always fix a tire.
I guess... but with one exception I have never damaged a tire to the point it was undrivable. Every other flat I've had would have been solvable with air if I'd had it. If I ever get there again, I've got a cell phone. Given that most new cars don't even have spares, sure seems my experience is more the norm than the exception. :shrug:
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

thesameguy wrote:
DAReese wrote:Because you can always replace a flat with a spare. You can't always fix a tire.
I guess... but with one exception I have never damaged a tire to the point it was undrivable. Every other flat I've had would have been solvable with air if I'd had it. If I ever get there again, I've got a cell phone. Given that most new cars don't even have spares, sure seems my experience is more the norm than the exception. :shrug:
The issue is when you are in an area with no cell reception. They still exist. But same here, short of sidewall splits or blowouts, most flats can be fixed at least temporarily with a can and air, sometimes with just the can itself.
David Reese

merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

DAReese wrote:
DPDISXR4Ti wrote:By now most of the original spare tires have cracked and split and died. Many of us have replaced them with Saab 900 and 9000 spares, but even those are getting old now, the newest being over 20 years old now. While looking for something else on eBay this morning, I stumbled across a 2011 - '16 Fiesta spare tire. Bonus points for it being an Aluminum wheel; negative points for it being only a 15" wheel, so it may not clear the typical big brake upgrades.

Has anyone tried one?
My understanding is the spare will fit on the rear tire even with the disc upgrade. That just means with a front flat you need to change two tires, back to front and spare on the back.
The stock spare fits over the Merkur Depot rear disc brake kit...I'm not sure it will fit over the other (bigger) real brake kits