How many motorcycle riders on here?

The Club Water Cooler - Discussion of just about anything on your mind not Merkur related.

Merkur Club web site
Sburke

Re: How many motorcycle riders on here?

Post by Sburke »

I've had countless bikes over the years. Just scaled back to one bike a month or so ago. Have a new Ural, that I use as my daily when it's working.

My V8 project Xr4ti is about finished, which has been a few month project. Started the project as cheap way to get back into cars, and road race it. Starting to realize I'm more of a motorcycle guy these days, debating listing it for trade, for another bike before I even put seat time into it....

We shall see
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta »

Sburke wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:47 pm Have a new Ural, that I use as my daily when it's working.
Do you tend to have alot of problems with it? My space consolidation goals are to sell the scooter/sidecar and cb650 and pick up a 2wd ural when I've got some extra play money. I've read plenty of back and forth reviews on advrider but for the price of a new car I'd hope it was reliable!
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!
Sburke

Post by Sburke »

cmouta wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:05 am
Sburke wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:47 pm Have a new Ural, that I use as my daily when it's working.
Do you tend to have alot of problems with it? My space consolidation goals are to sell the scooter/sidecar and cb650 and pick up a 2wd ural when I've got some extra play money. I've read plenty of back and forth reviews on advrider but for the price of a new car I'd hope it was reliable!

It's not reliable.

I'm almost certain, the die hard folks that will argue otherwise only ride them to the coffee shop and back home.

If you're trying to use it as a daily driver, it's going to leave you stranded. Also, they constantly need service attention. Fluids have very short intervals, valves need adjusted basically every oil change. Quality isn't that great. Mine is 6 months old, and has paint issues on almost every panel, and rusting on the tank and some areas of the frame......

Total blast when it works though, just know what you're getting into beforehand
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta »

Sburke wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:29 am

It's not reliable.

I'm almost certain, the die hard folks that will argue otherwise only ride them to the coffee shop and back home.

If you're trying to use it as a daily driver, it's going to leave you stranded. Also, they constantly need service attention. Fluids have very short intervals, valves need adjusted basically every oil change. Quality isn't that great. Mine is 6 months old, and has paint issues on almost every panel, and rusting on the tank and some areas of the frame......

I tried to ride 2up on my cb650 and I didn't like it nor did my gf but I don't really want huge bike. The scooter/sidecar has been awesome for us but I'd like to eventually outgrow it. the 2wd is probably completely unnecessary for anything we'd ever do but reverse sounds nice. I just saw an R1100GS with a dnepr sidecar on craigslist that looks awesome. Its a good reminder that Ural isn't the only path out there despite all those beautiful instagram photos of people in nature having a good time!
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!
Sburke

Post by Sburke »

cmouta wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:04 pm
Sburke wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:29 am

It's not reliable.

I tried to ride 2up on my cb650 and I didn't like it nor did my gf but I don't really want huge bike. The scooter/sidecar has been awesome for us but I'd like to eventually outgrow it. the 2wd is probably completely unnecessary for anything we'd ever do but reverse sounds nice. I just saw an R1100GS with a dnepr sidecar on craigslist that looks awesome. Its a good reminder that Ural isn't the only path out there despite all those beautiful instagram photos of people in nature having a good time!

I don't think 2wd is really needed, if anything you would just get stuck a little bit down the road anyways....

I have a CT, and it's been in plenty of gravel, mud, and sand without issues. When it works, I head off with the gf and dog on camping adventures.

If you're buying new, make sure you have a good dealer near-by, as they do come with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty..... Which you will be using more than riding. Ha ha :cheers
ford.scorpio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ford.scorpio »

Only true masochists goes for Dnepr or Ural...... :notworthy
A man meets another addict and says "oh yeah, I have a Merkur too!" and the other man says "no way!!!!! ............how many?"
trueblue1968
Level 2
Level 2

Post by trueblue1968 »

I ride, Sadly alot more now without BUTCH ..But I Love it.
TOO MUCH IS NEVER ENOUGH!........
....More to come :twisted:
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal »

I ride motorcycles and scooters as secondary/pleasure vehicles. I currently have a Yamaha Riva 125. I take my wife out for cruises and we sometimes use it for errand running. 90MPG is pretty nice.
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

On the Ural bike, it is an updated version of a 1937 BMW and the foreign market models are better than the home market ones since they have better bearings in them. I believe the US importer changes them before sale. I would love to have a side car on a 500cc dual purpose bike or something of the sort. I am a long time rider and had British or Euro only stuff (Rickman, CZ, BSA, Norton, Triumph) until the mid 90's when I bought a couple of Kawasaki sport bikes and was warped by the complete reliability of them vs the Brit bikes I had. I currently have a 600cc in storage and am thinking of getting it out.

Cheers.
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
morlynon

Post by morlynon »

I still have my 1985 VF500C Magna, though I use it very seldom.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I'm scared to even be in a car now yet alone a bike. Everybody is looking at their fn phone and not the road. Maybe someday I will have another bike, maybe just track it or something. That would be cool.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.