Advantage from TC intake?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Advantage from TC intake?

Post by Longitudinal »

My car has a TC intake manifold for some reason, so I am contemplating what to do.

Does the TC intake flow better/have potential to flow better than the XR4 arrangement?

Since the TC intake is already there, I am contemplating removing the upper portion, welding a piece of plate to the lower to form a plenum base, grinding out the plenum base to make smooth transitions, and welding up a plenum with front facing TB.

Is there a good reason to work with the TC intake? There is a nasty looking notch for distributor clearance. It has been too long since I looked at an XR4 intake to see if it has the same notch; there is a chance that the XR4 doesn't have the notch since the ports are arranged 2 by 2 instead of four in a line.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Advantage from TC intake?

Post by thesameguy »

Eh? TC like TurboCoupe? They are essentially the same as the XR4Ti - a couple minor differences due to changes in EEC depending on the year.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

The XR4Ti and late Turbo Coupe, SVO "4 in a square" intake manifold is an improved design over the earlier " 4 inline " intake manifold.
Same with the exhaust manifolds, the later exhaust manifolds flow WAY better than the early exhaust manifolds.
However...most forward facing plenum manifolds are built upon the inline set up, so if thats what you want to do then the inline lower will be helpful.
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal »

thesameguy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:52 pm Eh? TC like TurboCoupe? They are essentially the same as the XR4Ti - a couple minor differences due to changes in EEC depending on the year.
TC as in TurboCoupe. Four intake runners in a row on my lower. It's very much a different intake.
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal »

merkurdriver wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:22 pmSame with the exhaust manifolds, the later exhaust manifolds flow WAY better than the early exhaust manifolds...
E3 vs. E6, yes of course.

Has anybody flowed the TC lower I have against the 2 by 2 lower?
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

You may want to check out turboford for flow information.
I seem to remember someone flow bench testing the later style inline intake but I'm not sure on the early version.
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Would the base user notice much different between intakes?
meaning difference between the thunderbird short intake vs the XR long runner?
Both 4 in a square style, not inline.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

my8950 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:33 am Would the base user notice much different between intakes?
meaning difference between the thunderbird short intake vs the XR long runner?
Both 4 in a square style, not inline.
If you mean the longer, XR "butt" upper versus the shorter, "scripted" upper, I can't imagine one would.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
dunhamr1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dunhamr1 »

I believe the consensus from Turboford was that there are *slight* differences but nothing major, unless you're starting to build big power. The "4 in a square" setup is usually what is used for a rotated upper (90 or 120 degrees) if you're going with a front mount intercooler and want simpler piping.
-Ryan Dunham
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - nickname: "SheaXR4"
Daily: 2016 VW Golf R "Matti"
E-Street Autocross car: 2001 Mazda Miata
Old daily: 2003 VW Golf MkIV TDI, 200k+ mi

"Racing is Life. Anything else is just waiting." -Steve McQueen
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Pics are stuck in P-bucket (turns head, and spits...) of my 40-Bob BIG plenum. There were 2, a smaller one, and one that appears to be about 2 litres in volume. I suspect the googler could find a pic of one. Like this: http://www.stinger-performance.com/Pics/RotatedNPR2.jpg
If you have time, and welding skills, build one.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Mike McCreight wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:30 pm Pics are stuck in P-bucket (turns head, and spits...) of my 40-Bob BIG plenum. There were 2, a smaller one, and one that appears to be about 2 litres in volume. I suspect the googler could find a pic of one. Like this: http://www.stinger-performance.com/Pics/RotatedNPR2.jpg
Pretty much a straight pipe with a TB flange and manifold mating flange it seems...
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

With a bunch of porting. Bob's work was legendary.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal »

Mike McCreight wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:30 pm Pics are stuck in P-bucket (turns head, and spits...) of my 40-Bob BIG plenum. There were 2, a smaller one, and one that appears to be about 2 litres in volume. I suspect the googler could find a pic of one. Like this: http://www.stinger-performance.com/Pics/RotatedNPR2.jpg
I saw that manifold. I have something similar but more elegant planned if I stick with the Lima engine long enough to intercool.