Greetings - New Member here

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
John Brennan
Level 8

Re: Greetings - New Member here

Post by John Brennan »

Mike McCreight wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:33 am Depending on tire manufacturer, (sizes vary more than women's clothing...) and offset, (millimeters count) a 215 50 16 may fit, but I wouldn't count on it. I'd imagine there would be spring perch issues. Probably body interference as well. Coil-overs will help, spring perches and inner fenders can be sliced and diced.
I had a set of TSW Hockenheim R that were made by TSW specifically for the Sierra, (no offset stamped, sorry...) and a set of Yokos in 225-45-16 were a PERFECT fit. Sadly, that size is gone, except for a few examples, mostly Auto-X oriented. https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/225%2045%2016
and some street tires by brands you've likely never heard of.
All very true, and in fact I also had probably the same 225/45 Yomama tire on my old car once... another size is 215/45, which probably survives here and there as a replacement tire for the front of the old Acura NSX (!)-- for me, I try to stick with widely available tire sizes, just so if I have, say, a road hazard issue, I can get the tire replaced quickly. I've used 205/45 16, and it worked very well, on my old '85-- right now, I'm using 205/50 16 on my '89-- a curiosity about the XR is that they went from a 14" wheel and a ~23" diameter setup to a 15" wheel and a ~24" setup without changing anything else. Kind of weird. But if you stay somewhere close to that range, with something that fits the wheel well, and a wheel with the right offset, you will be OK. There just isn't much room unless you do some flaring and/or use coilovers up front. The rear is more forgiving. I have staggered the tire sizes F/R, and it looks good, but unless you tune that out with maybe a larger rear anti-roll bar, the car will push. I understand why people go to 17" wheels, as there are scads of tires in that size, but don't forget that wheel camber varies with suspension movement, so if you go towards rubber bands, your chances of lifting the edges of the tread increase. I try not to go much below 100mm of sidewall.

The Cossies worked well with 205/50 15, and although we've come a long way in 30 years, the suspension design remains the same, so whatever choice you make should take that into consideration.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
GT350RS

Post by GT350RS »

My son found some wheels he wanted that are 16X7 with a 40mm offset and I found a pretty good deal on some Falken Ziex 950s in 215/45/16. Sounds like that should fit good. This will be the 'street set'. I'm still looking for an autocross set and so far looking to stay in a stock size or go wider on a 15...(still very much interested, John!)

I could always use the pie wheels with some race tires. Looks like Hooser makes the SM7 (spec Miata race tire) and it's in a 215/60/15 or the A7 in a 205/60/15. That should do the trick to keep me in a street class. The other option is to go wider on a 15X7" with maybe a 225...Of course at that point I might as well mess with other things, like suspension and power adders.
'87 XR4Ti - Blue Grey Metallic - Moonroof - All Original - 98K mi
'16 GT350 - Triple Yellow - Black OTS - Lund Tuned
'17 Focus RS - Stealth Grey - FR Tuned
'05 S2000 - Suzuka Blue - All Original - 34k mi
'02 A4 3.0 Quattro - Light Silver - All Original - 68K mi
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

All stock XR wheels are 5.5", so it doesn't really accomplish anything to go much wider than the stock, 195mm tire width, even if they "fit." You won't be putting any more rubber on the road.
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
GT350RS

Post by GT350RS »

Sounds like I've just got to get out there and see what she does in stock form before choosing a path. The 16's should help the look some, that's for sure.
Ersatz36

Post by Ersatz36 »

Another Oklahoma Merkur? Welcome! If the parts car is the one from Collinsville then I'd be interested in the front grille if you wanted to part with it. I met the previous owner of that car at mid america last year and almost bought that one as a parts car after it got side swiped.
GT350RS

Post by GT350RS »

Ersatz36 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:58 pm Another Oklahoma Merkur? Welcome! If the parts car is the one from Collinsville then I'd be interested in the front grille if you wanted to part with it. I met the previous owner of that car at mid america last year and almost bought that one as a parts car after it got side swiped.
Yep, that's the one...and those parts are destined for the new one :headbang
There's a titling issue with it based on that accident that the previous owner is trying to rectify, as I was hoping to put whatever comes off the "new" car onto it and be able to sell it as a complete running car (or keep it as a racer, we'll see). The motor/trans in that car seems to be ok...

From the looks of it, we'll have to replace the passenger side rear wheel arch and side skirt only from the Cossie stuff on there now...
GT350RS

Post by GT350RS »

Speaking of Oklahoma Merkurs....

I was at AutoZone buying some cleaner on Sunday and the guy behind the counter said he knew of a gent in town (This was in Mustang) who collects/works on these cars...By chance do you know who that is?
Ersatz36

Post by Ersatz36 »

I do not, the previous owner of your car is really the only other Merkur guy I've met in Oklahoma. It would be nice to find somebody that is somewhat local and possibly has a trove of parts for these things, I'd love to get a bi-plane spoiler/hatch and some interior parts. It might be worthwhile to check the Oklahoma Deadhorse forums, though that place is probably dead these days.
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

Welcome aboard! Just read some of the previous posts. I was running the 215/50/16 tires on countour SVT rims and spacers. They did fit and performance was much improved. The issue now is little to no choice in tires in this size. These were only offered I believe on 2 cars factory; the PT cruiser and the contour SVT. Compare that to the plethora of choices in a 205/55/16. I've moved on to 17's mainly due to the lack of decent choices in a 16 wider than a 205.
If I were going with a 16" tire now I would just stick with a 205 width and your choices will be many.
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

I seem to have no problem finding good tires in 205/50 or 205/45 16.
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
GT350RS

Post by GT350RS »

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

My son found a set he liked, it's on the car now. They're 16X7 Drag DR19s. Black with a polished lip. Offset it 40. The tires are Falken Ziex 950s - 205/45/16. They really look good, but the car could use a little drop. Once I get my membership updated here or whatever is needed I'll post a few pics.

The rear fitment is fine, but the front looks really close to the shock tube. I didn't hear any rubbing on the way home and never got any time to check, so I'll leave the car as-is for now and order some 5mm spacers. I don't think I'll need anything thicker than that.

I'm still looking for an autocross set, and those Sparcos (15X6 in size) I mentioned earlier are high on the list. I really like the light weight. 14 pounds per wheel is nice. The tires I'm looking at are Toyo R888s in 205/50/15.