Source for brake booster grommet?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Source for brake booster grommet?

Post by thesameguy »

Is there? :)
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Source for brake booster grommet?

Post by thesameguy »

The answer to this question, for those playing at home, is Yes. It's exactly the same as the grommet in a Saab 9-3 1999-03, 9-5 1999-09, and 900 1994-98. Part #4836680.

I'm betting like so many ATE products there is a LOT of interchangeability. In fact, I'd wager the calipers from a Saab will bolt onto an XR4Ti too. I know earlier 900 calipers were (tried that) and I'm betting later ones will too.

Anywho, very excited about this. Solves a huge problem for me.
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

Good find! Were you getting a vacuum leak around that grommet or noticing some wierd brake behavior?
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Actually, neither. It was a rabbit hole. :) My check valve seemed odd - very restrictive to suck through. Since the check valve is connected to the booster with plastic tube, the only real way to replace the valve is to damage that tube - yeah, I have had some luck with heat guns but what a chore. Since the valve was being replaced and the tube was being replaced, I wanted a simpler replacement than 1/4" tube, a 1/4" to 5/16" (IIRC) check valve, and then 5/16" to 3/8" hose to the intake manifold (disregarding the vacuum tree). I didn't want to remove the nipple from the booster without knowing I could replace the grommet if something went bad - it is quite hard from age. In the end I caved, used a heat gun to soften the grommet, then removed the nipple and the grommet. I happen to have a 2002 9-3 parts car, so I compared.

I replaced the grommet with a new one, the nipple with one from a 9-3, the check valve from a Volvo all connect straight across to the intake manifold with 3/8" silicone hose. I will deal with the vacuum tree next, but not having to change hose sizes multiple times was the key to the operation. ;)