Rear disc brake kit 11" NEW DESIGN

XR4Ti cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, Merkur

Merkur Club web site
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Rear disc brake kit 11" NEW DESIGN

Post by cmouta »

:cheers

lookin good so far! these are with Tim's brake line kit.

Some notes:

-I pulled the parking brake cable end past the "Ball end" retainer on the caliper and gave the retainer a good squeeze with pliers until I was comfortable it couldn't twist and slide out.

-I had to shave my own flats in the brake line body connector to get it to pass through the "D" hole.

-As routed, I plan to add a section of thick rubber hose as an insulator where the hydraulic hose "meets" the swaybar to prevent wear. Routing it this way keeps it away from the coil. I'll make sure to double check all this when its on the ground. I will also add some thick rubber hose to the parking brake cable where it passes through the control arm. Not sure what kind of value that dinky blue stuff provides in this scenario.

-Brake fluid containers with a built in check valve in the hose are awesome.

Last edited by cmouta on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

cmouta wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:22 pm...I had to shave my own flats in the brake line body connector to get it to pass through the "D" hole...
I'm confused by this as I tested it on my own chassis. They all had the flat portion on them. Unfortunately I was unable to see your picture. Are you a registered member? If not, then you must use a 3rd party. I'd just like to see what the issue was with the chassis connection.
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta »

Hey Tim, I am hosting the photos on google photos but maybe it doesn't like forum linking? I updated the post with an imgBB photo link instead.

They rear lines did come with flats but when I installed them, I couldn't get them to line up properly without twisting the hose in a weird way. I installed them with the caliper removed until the fitting bottomed out, popped the brakes back and check for fit, one was 180deg off and another was about 90deg off. The fronts installed smoothly since they don't have any flats.
Chris
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

Ah, makes sense. The photos work. I need to switch my stuff to google photos.
Tim Spencer
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta »

I've probably put 120 miles on this rear brake upgrade. Has anyone had issues with pad contact? Running EBC Redstuff pads. Maybe I need to bleed the rears more or do some emergency braking? Ball valve was deleted for a brake union.
Chris
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

Is it the same on both sides, left and right, inside and outside of each rotor? The pad engagement should be pretty much from one edge of the machined portion of the rotor to the other edge. I had ~1mm of play total to get it aligned correctly, height wise. So it should be making contact along the entire face. Seeing that there is about 6mm towards the center that are not touched, I would suspect the pad has some irregularities. 120 miles, depending on the style of driving, may not be enough to fix it.
Tim Spencer
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta »

Yeah, they other side is like that but not as severe:

I pulled everything off, regreased the sliders. Insides don't look as dramatic. I know EBC puts that "brake in" layer on the pad so maybe I need to put a few more miles on it. I Noticed the passenger side ebrake was too taut and cocking the caliper with that piece of rubber hose I put so I removed that and installed it in the ebrake retainer area of the control arm to alleviate that tension. Got a few more bubbles out of the lines, pedal feels more firm and the calipers are confirmed squeezing/releasing properly. I guess I'll keep an eye on it.

Emailed EBC and they said give a few hundred more miles and then see what it looks like.
Chris
popimpracer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by popimpracer »

I'm interested in the escape set up. I'm running 18s so clearance should not be an issue. are there any of those brackets left and if so what was the rotors needed for that?
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

popimpracer wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:22 am I'm interested in the escape set up. I'm running 18s so clearance should not be an issue. are there any of those brackets left and if so what was the rotors needed for that?
Not on here as much as I used to be, but finally making some head way. I'll use this as a little update as well. Brackets are getting water jetted right now and will be sent out for plating as soon as I pick them up...hopefully tomorrow.

As for the parts:

2012+ Ford Focus Calipers (all styles use the same) Make sure you get actual Focus, NOT from a C-Max or Escape as they use different sized rotors for the most part and I have no clue which versions had the right caliper bracket.

Rotors are from the 2002-2004 Focus SVT (11"/280mm diameter).

If you are looking to upgrade the fronts, PM me as I do have a solution to match...basically using the 2013+ Focus ST 335mm front brakes since I make a "kit" to fit most of that stuff. Only requires drilling 3 "extra" holes in the rotor, which I have a jig to accomplish.
Tim Spencer
popimpracer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by popimpracer »

I have pbrs up front but I thought you where making brackets to use the escape rotors at one time because they where bigger.
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

popimpracer wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:07 am I have pbrs up front but I thought you where making brackets to use the escape rotors at one time because they where bigger.
For the rear, this is the only bolt-on option. For the front, you can do multiple things as the Focus uses the same mounting height, just need to use some spacers and other bits, but I have a full solution for nearly all the options. Bolt-in is really just the 11"/278mm Fronts from the 2005-2007 Focus and calipers from the 2012+ Base Focus. You can do the ST brakes, but need to use those specific rotors and drill 3 extra holes...I have a "jig" to accomplish that.
Tim Spencer
popimpracer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by popimpracer »

hmm so any brackets for the rear
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

Quick update. Rear Brackets are out getting plated. Looking at about a week and then everything will be ready to ship out. Thank you everyone for their patience. I'll put out another post when they are in with pictures of everything as there are 2 options for hoses.
Tim Spencer
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

Brackets are back in stock. $160 for brackets and hoses (add $5 for swivel fittings at caliper). $55 for parking brake cable. If interested in a front mounting kit for the Focus brakes, PM me as well.
Tim Spencer
Merkurfast
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Merkurfast »

Any news on the SS brake lines?