LA3 question

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: LA3 question

Post by merkurdriver »

my8950 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:15 pm
Regarding ECU swap to the LA3/8UA types, I've read that the benefit is the 16MHz clock speed among other things improves the performance. As mentioned it also gives more "headroom" for modifications.
Agreed x 100. Its like getting a new desktop computer thats twice as fast as your old one was.
Mass air meter conversions fumble all over the place on any of the 8 bit ECUs, but LA2 LA3 8UA 16 bit ECUs manage to convert the information fast enough to actually work properly. Thats my biggest reason for going to a 16 bit ECU.
FYI
(We are working on a plug and play piggyback chip for mass air conversions that only work with the LA ECU...
so far put down 325 HP, 360 ft.lbs at the wheels with an LA3, chip, mass air conversion, plus some other stuff )
Spaldino
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spaldino »

what about timing after you install the LA3? didn't the Turbo Coupes run a different timing than our XRs?
88 Mono-white XR: Side exhaust, Walbro, MC2 Front Adjustable Coilovers, Rear Bilsteins, Full Poly bushings, MC2 Diff Mount, Rapido intercooler, Some sort of mild cam(?), Rear Disc conversion, 225s on 17x8 wheels.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Spaldino wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:48 am what about timing after you install the LA3? didn't the Turbo Coupes run a different timing than our XRs?
Yes, static timing (with SPOUT out) is 10* BTDC, just like every other Lima EEC except the PF-Series for the XR 5-speeds.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta »

merkurdriver wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:16 am (We are working on a plug and play piggyback chip for mass air conversions that only work with the LA ECU...
so far put down 325 HP, 360 ft.lbs at the wheels with an LA3, chip, mass air conversion, plus some other stuff )
That's a bit of interesting info nonchalantly slipped in there. When can we expect to hear more about this?
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

cmouta wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:34 am
merkurdriver wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:16 am (We are working on a plug and play piggyback chip for mass air conversions that only work with the LA ECU...
That's a bit of interesting info nonchalantly slipped in there. When can we expect to hear more about this?
Its in the works...we'll technically its been working for a long time, just need to make a plug and play user-friendly version.
popimpracer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by popimpracer »

TIME FRAME ON AVAILABILITY? WILL IT WORK ON A REPINNED LA3?
oemoilleaks

Post by oemoilleaks »

popimpracer wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:28 pm TIME FRAME ON AVAILABILITY? WILL IT WORK ON A REPINNED LA3?
Very interested on if it will work with a repinned LA3
reddy2300
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddy2300 »

thesameguy wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:27 am The 190hp '87/'88 TurboCoupes were intercooled... that's where the power came from. :) You're not gonna see any useful increase with just the ECM. Drivability and probably emissions? Sure. But not power.
Actually, those were just about the worst intercoolers ever devised. Sitting right over the hot turbo with (really) very little airflow. I ran a PE computer with no intercooler in my XR for a long time. I made a huge difference as the timing tables are more aggressive than the PF3 that came out of it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Adding the intercooler made it so I was comfortable raising the boost with the Gillis valve for a few more ponies.
1987 XR4ti--Mustang Cobra 5.0/T5 transmission, AFR heads, fake BBS wheels, Koni Yellows, Rapido sway bars, poly/aluminum bushes, Eurolights, Sierra rear/Focus front discs,
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

oemoilleaks wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:55 am
popimpracer wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:28 pm TIME FRAME ON AVAILABILITY? WILL IT WORK ON A REPINNED LA3?
Very interested on if it will work with a repinned LA3
Yes, it will work on a regular LA3 / LA2 as well as re-pinned LA3's
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

So I removed the PE and big vam from my intercooled car, and put them into my non intercooled car. Both cars have the knock sensor wire removed since both have been intercooled at some point. I saw the wire that someone else soldered on to the harness (grounding pin 30) and I left it disconnected for now. So I'm in regular gas mode not premium gas mode. The car feels like it has more power everywhere, and feels more responsive and alive. Base timing is still set at 13. Boost is set pretty low about 15 and it has 93 octane in it. This all makes me think the stock computer is super super conservative. Ford wanted the car to work fine in all conditions and not toast too many motors. So if all you can buy is 91 octane, you have the car filled up with 4 adults and luggage, the gas is kinda stale, and your on the interstate going up a hill in 5th gear you should be ok. If not the knock sensor is there to pull some timing until you notice the car has no power and you finally downshift. So get a better computer, tune the car the best you can with some fresh fuel, keep boost low until you have an intercooler, and just listen for any knocking. You can always sell the parts later if you go a different route. It should be one of the first mods along with exhaust system. Definitely worth the price of admission.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.