On the hunt

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Re: On the hunt

Post by DAReese »

markwemple wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:09 pm Runs, but not too well above idle
Could be as simple as needing new plugs, wire, rotor, and distributor. These beasts are finicky about that.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
Flash517

Post by Flash517 »

Hey bud, I'm in Dundalk. Just bought a running Red 87 for $600 about 2 months ago. Decent shape with the Intercooler/Radiator combo and tons of spare parts(and 3 shop manuals for whatever reason). I've only ever seen one other around Towson driving and I know we have 2 locally for sale on Facebook Marketplace for over $3k. So that shows the deal at hand. Also be nice to have another Local XR enthusiast
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

Based on your comment, this one should be almost free. Lol
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

markwempie,

How to get a FREE 1 year MCA Membership

http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewt ... 19&t=30034
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

Ok, additional issues with it, he has to jump the fuel pump, the key is broken off in the ignition, the clear boat is peeling. On the plus, the trunk area is rust free. This is very close to junkyard territory.
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

Also, it has a blue stamped steel valve cover.
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

Why would the group think it has the wrong valve cover.
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matt01 »

I probably bought the rougest of rough XR out there. Not TERRIBLE, but the overall package was acceptable.
I want to build a track car with it (not a hardcore racer, just a weekend track day car) so the little rust didnt bother me.

I got new rockers from fixmyrust and got rid of the cladding dents in the lower rocker at the same time.
When I pulled the cladding off, it was Horrible, the rockers were pierced, and the pinch welds were a little rusted, and do still need a little love.

My car needed everything, exhaust, springs, tune up, bushings.. look at my build thread if you want to know. Alot of the little problems were never mentioned, 1 day Ill put up a list of stuff I touched since I had it. 1 headlight didnt work, the hatch was stuck shut, the wires/cap/rotor/plugs were ORIGINAL, it ran horrible.
I offered the seller 500$ when i saw the condition of the car.
http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewt ... 37&t=32316

It ran, kind of. no radio, no temp/fuel or RPM gauges. tires were finished, brakes were shot. I say if you have the time for a project. doooo it! If you fenders are rusty like mine were, no problem GO BIGGER! (more on that one day when my car is out of the body shop)
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

This body isn't as bad rust wise. It can't really be driven, though. Has a small hole in a hard brake line and can't do much past idle plus the turbo piping is goobered. Wrong hoses and aftermarket blow off valve.
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

Feel a bit nuts even thinking about it.
Flash517

Post by Flash517 »

Well if you don't get it send the info my way
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

Will do!
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

markwemple wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:37 pm Why would the group think it has the wrong valve cover.
No idea. Any pics of the car / engine?
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

Not sure how to post. It's a plain blue stamped steel cover like a pinto would have. Plus the buggered up turbo hoses suck.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

markwemple wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:41 pm This body isn't as bad rust wise. It can't really be driven, though. Has a small hole in a hard brake line and can't do much past idle plus the turbo piping is goobered. Wrong hoses and aftermarket blow off valve.
If you clamp off a bad brake line with small vise grips, stop every mile or so to top off all fluids and/or let her cool down, have your friend tailgate you so others don't rear end you, and open door slightly (to get rid of fumes) while going down the road then you will be one of us.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.