List of priorities: modifications

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

List of priorities: modifications

Post by markwemple »

Ok, first, I always do fluids and filters. Once a baseline is set, it seems cooling would be first, intercooler, radiator, high performance water pump and cosworth front fascia. Then brakes next?

What would be your list in order of priorities?
LITTELHAWK
Level 1
Level 1

Re: List of priorities: modifications

Post by LITTELHAWK »

Is this all after you do the necessary repairs you mentioned before?
Do the Walbro fuel pump upgrade when you do the tank so you don't have to drop it later.

I would do a full tune-up and replace all maintenance type stuff first unless you know for certain it has been done recently. (Plugs/wires, O2 Sensor, and belts in addition to the fluids and filters you mentioned). You'll likely need a new valve cover gasket and oil cap if they haven't already been done.

As far as upgrades, the radiator and intercooler could be one piece if you order through Merkur Depot. and I would do the hoses, pump, thermostat and flush the crap out of the heater core all at the same time.

Many people say the brakes need upgraded but I haven't really noticed them being bad other than when the master cylinder went out, so that is really up to you and your driving style I guess. Plus, I don't like the phenolic pistons we upgrade to. I'd say a full bushing and spring restoration would be more important. I'm also a fan of upgrading things as the old stuff wears out or breaks.

Here is my recommended upgrade order as of right now (Remember it really depends on your cars condition and your driving style and desires/budget):
Steering and Suspension (Tires, Springs, Bushings, tie rods, etc.)
Run a couple extra ground cables through your engine bay
Intercooler/Cooling System
Exhaust and examine turbo assembly for wear
Computer/Intake (LA3/Big VAM or Megasquirt/PIMP system)
Whatever else you're looking into (Brakes/Wheels, Porting, Cam, LSD, etc.)

I would really suggest driving it for a while and doing what it needs to stay on the road before you start down the upgrade path unless you have unlimited funds available. Your car is old and likely needs some love.
'85 Mineral Blue & '87 White Barn Find parked in '92
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

Is there an inherent problem with the engine management system? I'm Leary of aftermarket systems
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

markwemple wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:36 am Is there an inherent problem with the engine management system? I'm Leary of aftermarket systems
Au contraire, the EEC-IV is one of the best the industry ever produced, way ahead of its time. Stock ignition hardware took Rick Byrnes to over 200 mph at Bonneville. That said, some people don't want to stay stock, but have a system they can tune. VAMs can be troublesome and are restrictive, and distributors have moving parts and are not as good as newer, solid state systems.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

What is the best system to upgrade to? Or maybe I should say easiest.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

3" downpipe and exhaust is going to be the best bang for the buck once an XR is up and running properly.

Stock water pump is fine, no need to look there to upgrade for quite sometime. Radiator upgrade can improve cooling and
Cosworth grille will help also with additional airflow to the radiator.

Stock EEC-IV engine management is just fine for a while. You can swap in a different ECU from a Turbo Coupe or Mustang SVO and the matching big air meter as an easy upgrade. Even easier is a chip for the stock computer and the bigger air meter.
Still not enough? Simple chip for the stock computer with bigger air meter and larger fuel injectors adds 50 more HP over stock. This paired with a a 35 HP gain from a 3" downpipe and exhaust just added 85 HP over stock with some very simple bolt on items.*

* Walbro fuel pump upgrade and an intercooler of some sort would be a must to support the above mentioned 85 HP gain.
LITTELHAWK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LITTELHAWK »

Sorry, I should have thrown the computer in with the "whatever else you're looking into" category. It isn't necessary, but is an easy upgrade.
'85 Mineral Blue & '87 White Barn Find parked in '92
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

Since there is no exhaust, literally, I want to do a full 3", but Inwant to fab it up. I don't need a $500 stainless system on a car that needs a ton of work.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

markwemple wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:30 am Since there is no exhaust, literally, I want to do a full 3", but Inwant to fab it up. I don't need a $500 stainless system on a car that needs a ton of work.
I would suggest that in fact, it is a good investment, since a good exhaust is fundamental to anything else you do (most would agree that if you only did one thing, do exhaust). Since you need some kind of system anyway, you might as well "do it once, do it right."
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

The issue is that If I buy it, I will be spending a lot in a lot of areas
To save 2 or 3 hundred now is a real thing.
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

You don't need a high performance water pump for this car. The Esslinger ones are meant for circle track cars that spin over 8k RPM. They will cause cooling issues at lower RPMs. Stick with the current pump or a new replacement.
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

What are your long term goals? Is this your first turbo car? LA3 / large VAM / IC is kinda like "stage 1" and gives you a NICE noticeable bump over stock but if you get bit by the bug, you'll be looking for more very soon! The bolt-ons get you to about 250-300 TQ very easily.