Interior Work

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Interior Work

Post by my8950 »

It would be cool to see how the dynamat goes in as you move through the process...I'd be interested to see.
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

Didn't take any pics of mine as I put it in, but it was super easy. Just put it down and roll the installation tool over it a few times. I peeled the backing off a little at a time in case I wanted to cut the piece and move what was left.

The areas I had issues with was past the wiring behind the dash, I just stopped once it got too difficult to install it. Ideally, the wiring is out first.

The other are I cheated on was the doors. I did as much as I could without pulling anything out. I also put it on the backs of the door cards after scraping off the deteriorated foam that looked like rust on the door sills.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
LITTELHAWK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LITTELHAWK »

All right, I also didn't take any pictures of me actually doing it, but as DAReese said, you just cut it, lay it, and roll it. I also didn't go very far up the firewall and only did what I could through the bottom holes in the doors. The Dynamat was significantly easier to install than the Noico. I didn't take any pictures of the foam after I got it all done, I thought I did but I can't find them but there is one piece in the Passenger's side photo over the Dynamat, but basically just cut it into four rectangles and set it over the dynamat. I will post links to everything I used.

Album: https://imgur.com/a/oWiOxeh

Noico 80mil Sound Dampener:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Dynamat:

Roller Tool I used: (Don't use a cheap plastic one, I broke one on the first mat)
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Foam: (This was not what I expected and I'm not sure I would recommend using this exact product, it's just craft foam but at least it won't hold water)

Rubber: (Really liked this stuff, easy to work with and much lighter than MLV)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Technoflex- ... /300870285
'85 Mineral Blue & '87 White Barn Find parked in '92
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I used that stuff that is just like dynamat except thinner and doesn't say dynamat a bunch of times all over. Guess it's for roofs and chimneys etc. I got a roll for free. I put it in my daily (a civic) when I had the door panels off and was putting in coaxials to make them fit tightly all the way around, and block any holes or openings. Now it sounds less like a yugo when I close the door, and the speakers sound better. You can double up the layers if you want it thicker. Heres a tip: download a series of test tones or sweep from 20-200hz from realm of excursion or someplace. Then play it and see what areas resonate.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

I got the tool from Dynamat. Pretty sturdy. I also re-used the mat that came with the car, but probably would look for something different if I ever pull the carpet again.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Did you get the aluminum from home depot also? I'm curious about how that Liquid nail would hold up against heat? I took my battery box this weekend because I have hold under it that leaks when it rains. I'm thinking I could use some trim coil an liquid nail to make a new plate to seal it up better than I have in the past.
LITTELHAWK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LITTELHAWK »

I did get the aluminum angle from Home Depot, I'm sure I paid more that way but it was convenient.

There are a lot of different types of adhesives available in that aisle from Liquid Nails, Loctite, Gorilla, etc. I'm sure one of them would work. I will try to look at my tube tomorrow and see if it says anything. I didn't see anything on the website.
'85 Mineral Blue & '87 White Barn Find parked in '92
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

I don't think the cost was all that much. I was at Lowes last night and found a piece of steel I could use to make 5 of what I need, it was only about $10. So yeah it might be higher than a metal supply location, it wasn't bad. I ended up getting a 10' long piece of trim coil, it will do for what I'm after and also is easier to work with.
I'm going to look into 3M panel bond to stick the piece I have down.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

The stuff I'm talking about already has sticky tar layer on it, just like dynamat. But I didn't use any on a Merkur. On the 89 XR I covered the large holes left over from the hvac delete. I got aluminum from hardware store since steel is heavy and will rust out. Drilled holes to rivet it into place and used silicone caulk under it to seal it up.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.