Best Front Brake Setup for 14-inch Wheels?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
patentgeek

Best Front Brake Setup for 14-inch Wheels?

Post by patentgeek »

Per the post linked below, I'm installing XR4Ti spindles as part of a coil-over + rack-and-pinion conversion on a 1966 Ford Cortina Mk1 GT.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=33880

I've read through numerous posts on this forum about front brake upgrades, but it's not always clear as to which of those care compatible with the 14-inch wheels on my Cortina. The Cortina weighs less than 2000lbs, or about 1000lbs less than an XR4Ti, so stock XR4Ti brakes would be fine - - - but I'd like to see what other front brake options are out there.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: Best Front Brake Setup for 14-inch Wheels?

Post by merkurdriver »

www.merkurdepot.com big front brake kit will clear (most) 15" wheels, but not 14".
Stock XR4Ti front brakes might be your best bet and indeed and upgrade for such a small car.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

merkurdriver wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:07 am www.merkurdepot.com big front brake kit will clear (most) 15" wheels, but not 14".
Stock XR4Ti front brakes might be your best bet and indeed and upgrade for such a small car.
I have a set I'm not using if you want them. Just need rotors and pads. Mintex and EBC make good pads for these brakes.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

merkurdriver wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:07 am www.merkurdepot.com big front brake kit will clear (most) 15" wheels, but not 14".
And the fact that many people are removing the stock XR brakes and putting them in the bin will make them cheap.
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Drop me a line for some Greenstuf pads.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Mike McCreight wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:22 am Drop me a line for some Greenstuf pads.
I've used those to good effect. :thumb Their rotors are nice, too, if still available, and if they fit your car.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
reddy2300
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddy2300 »

As the guys said, stock XR rotors with Greenstuff pads worked pretty well on my XR for a long time. Would be better on your lil Capri.

Not sure where you're located but, I have a complete front brake setup with vented rotors and "unknown" pads. Almost new. Came off a rolled-over car I bought. I have the knuckles too, if you don't' have those yet. Dirt cheap. Shipping might kill it, though.
1987 XR4ti--Mustang Cobra 5.0/T5 transmission, AFR heads, fake BBS wheels, Koni Yellows, Rapido sway bars, poly/aluminum bushes, Eurolights, Sierra rear/Focus front discs,
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

If you have some cash to spend, reach out to the guys at TCE:

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/

Todd has the measurements for the stock XR knuckle and can make a custom adapter for any Wilwood caliper you want. You could work with him to find a setup that works with you wheels, and will be much better than the OEM XR stuff.