Spoke to the Original Owner of my XR4Ti Yesterday

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
R Code
Level 1
Level 1

Spoke to the Original Owner of my XR4Ti Yesterday

Post by R Code »

I had his name from the warranty card, and (luckily) I have every receipt and scrap of paper associated with my car's history, so I just dialed him up at his home in NJ.

Interesting conversation, he was happy to hear the car has been lovingly cared for since he sold it in '96, and that it still looks like new w/just 37.5k on the odo. He talked about how he'd take it for a 1/2 hour drive & then spend 2 hours detailing it, told me about his "new" car: a T bird he bought in '04 & is maintaining the same way. I told him about my plans for the car, recent parts acquisitions, and the upcoming divestment of the "69 R Code, which will free up time & $ to fulfill the XR's promise.

Neat for me to have access to the original owner, and that he's a nice guy/enthusiast. We exchanged #s, and made a loose plan to meet up at a car show (TBD) in NJ next summer. It shouldn't be too much of a struggle to arrange something that works.

My kids roll their eyes that the old man is such a car nerd :roll: :egeek , but I figured you guys would understand.
- Chris

'89 XR4Ti (5 speed) - sold
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Spoke to the Original Owner of my XR4Ti Yesterday

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I took some pics of my 89 today for the previous previous owner. Ya we understand.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

I've run into my car's previous owner several times at car shows.
Nice fella... he says the car's been kicked up a notch or two since he owned it.

He's got a T-Bird now.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
R Code
Level 1
Level 1

Post by R Code »

eaton53 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:17 pm I've run into my car's previous owner several times at car shows.
Nice fella... he says the car's been kicked up a notch or two since he owned it.

He's got a T-Bird now.
That's cool, he must get a kick of seeing the car so well preserved. Funny that both our OOs drive later model T Birds now.
- Chris

Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

As time passes we reflect on cars we had, and some we regret selling. We wonder what happened to it and what condition it's in. A few years ago, while wondering the Radisson [Camp Hill] parking lot scanning the Merkurs an "IMON" sticker caught my eye. There are very few "IMON" stickers, especially in the rear window of an XR I regretted selling years before.
87 xr4ti Right side Rob.jpg
87 xr4ti Right side Rob.jpg (93.55 KiB) Viewed 5333 times
No, the current owner didn't want to sell it to me.
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

R Code wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:34 pm
eaton53 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:17 pm I've run into my car's previous owner several times at car shows.

He's got a T-Bird now.
That's cool, he must get a kick of seeing the car so well preserved. Funny that both our OOs drive later model T Birds now.
We voted for each other.
That's how ridiculous "participant judging" works. Everyone votes for their buds or the homies.
It often has little to do with how good the cars are so I usually abstain from such events.
I go to a lot of cruise ins, which have no judging. I'll go to a "judged" event if it's free.

'89 XR4Ti
'89 Scorpio
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
R Code
Level 1
Level 1

Post by R Code »

eaton53 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:09 pm

He's got a T-Bird now.
We voted for each other.
That's how ridiculous "participant judging" works. Everyone votes for their buds or the homies.
It often has little to do with how good the cars are so I usually abstain from such events.
I go to a lot of cruise ins, which have no judging. I'll go to a "judged" event if it's free.
Agreed. I'm more of a cruise night guy: low key, short duration, come/go as you please.
- Chris

eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

R Code wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:51 pm
eaton53 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:09 pm

We voted for each other.
Agreed. I'm more of a cruise night guy: low key, short duration, come/go as you please.
Yeah, there is the part about it taking up the whole day on Saturday, especially when it's hot.
3 hrs max is good, later in the day when the weather is cooler is even better. Our club cruise-ins are 5pm to 8pm, which is perfect.

'89 XR4Ti
'89 Scorpio