New to Merkurs - Where is this oil coming from?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
oemoilleaks

New to Merkurs - Where is this oil coming from?

Post by oemoilleaks »

I just bought my first XR. It's an 85 slick top that I picked up in Vegas.

I had to replace the BMC before I could actually give it a good test drive. And once I did, I noticed a couple of things. After it got up to temp, when it hit boost it would pull until the boost gauge was in the red and then it would stop pulling. It felt like the boost got weaker as the car came up to temp.

I was just driving it around town, running back and forth to my garage. That is to say, I wasn't really beating on it as I'm just trying to get a baseline and figure out what needs doing, and in what order it needs to be done.

So after about 40 min of driving around I popped the hood and found a massive amount of oil on the drivers side. The BMC is covered, the shock tower, on the hood and the back of the firewall in that area.

As I said in the title, I'm new to Merkurs. I honestly don't know where that oil could be coming from.

Pictures below.

Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: New to Merkurs - Where is this oil coming from?

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Possibly being blown up and out of the oil fill tube under boost because of a faulty PCV.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
oemoilleaks

Post by oemoilleaks »

Is that common? The dipstick and the oil filter are the only two oil related things I can see in that area.
I've already ordered the PCV valve, hopefully it'll get here soon!

Any other possible culprits?
JimG
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JimG »

Its a good chance that you have a bad oil pressure sender, a common thing to fail. Its at the rear of the engine on the drivers side. Also where did you order the PCV valve from, Motorcraft are best.
Jim Gosses
86 XR4TI, 165K, T-5, IC, RR, PBR Fronts, T-bird Rear Discs
oemoilleaks

Post by oemoilleaks »

I ordered the motorcraft one from Rockauto.

How would I even check the sending unit?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

oemoilleaks wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:55 pm I ordered the motorcraft one from Rockauto.
Are you sure it's the CORRECT Motorcraft one? What is the part#?
oemoilleaks wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:55 pm How would I even check the sending unit?
If it's wet with oil it's a good chance it's leaking. I would be blipping the throttle and see if you see any oil leaking. With as much as you've got leaking it should be easy to track down.
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

EV127A is Motorcraft PCV PN.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

( x 100 on both suggestions.)

The correct plastic Motorcraft PCV should be the only PCV that ever goes on the car. With any luck that will fix the problem... to me the pictures look like oil is coming out of the dipstick tube when under boost.

The gauge sending unit on the head would be the next place to look, but that usually is really easy to spot as it will (typically) drip to the ground like a faucet just sitting at idle.

Best news is that the PCV and the gauge sending unit are really inexpensive ( $10 ea.), easy to source, and easy to replace.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Yes, as mentioned, check the oil pressure sender, or even the line may be cracked and leaking.

The PCV valve may have been blown out of the tubing, so the one end of the line is hanging open out there spewing.

Make sure also, EV127A is what you get, critical.

Oh, I also had an issue where my dipstick tube broke off the mount, so the two little holes where is was spot welded on the tube were open. You can replace the tube or put a rubber hose over the holes, tightly.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

my8950 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:35 am Oh, I also had an issue where my dipstick tube broke off the mount, so the two little holes where is was spot welded on the tube were open. You can replace the tube or put a rubber hose over the holes, tightly.
This happened to me as well. Drove me crazy 'til I figured it out. A piece of hose over the pinholes sealed it up nicely; no issues since, several years ago.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
oemoilleaks

Post by oemoilleaks »

I've confirmed that it is indeed to correct EV127A PCV valve.

I've checked to make sure the dipstick tube is still attached and not giving me that famous "Snakebite" leak

I haven't had a moment to check the Oil Pressure sender but I will probably order a new one just to be safe.

I'll report back once I get the PCV valve in and installed.

Thank you all for your help!
oemoilleaks

Post by oemoilleaks »

Also, sprayed the crud out of the oil separator with carb cleaner until everything came out clear and tasted great.

As this is an 85 car, is there anything that should go into the valve cover where the oil separator goes? It feels like it's metal on metal.

DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

oemoilleaks wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:38 pm Also, sprayed the crud out of the oil separator with carb cleaner until everything came out clear and tasted great.

As this is an 85 car, is there anything that should go into the valve cover where the oil separator goes? It feels like it's metal on metal.

Nope. The early ones are metal on metal. They sometimes leak out the top of the dipstick. A rubber boot from a spark plug wire can cure that.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
oemoilleaks

Post by oemoilleaks »

Ah is that why everyone switches to the later valve cover?
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

oemoilleaks wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:52 am Ah is that why everyone switches to the later valve cover?
Everyone doesn't, but it is an improved design. In addition to the improved breather, you get a screw-on oil cap as well. Many prefer the looks of the earlier style.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost