New to Merkurs - Where is this oil coming from?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Re: New to Merkurs - Where is this oil coming from?

Post by DAReese »

John Brennan wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:12 pm
oemoilleaks wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:52 am Ah is that why everyone switches to the later valve cover?
Everyone doesn't, but it is an improved design. In addition to the improved breather, you get a screw-on oil cap as well. Many prefer the looks of the earlier style.
I do like the looks of the earlier one, which was fine when it was new and no one enhanced their engine. To get away from my oil leaks I went with a pretty Essie valve cover and a catch can. No more oil leaks. Still have the power steering pump blowing out fluid though. Somewhere I saw a fix from Russ, but I can't find it now.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
oemoilleaks

Post by oemoilleaks »

I'm sure mine isn't far behind
oemoilleaks

Post by oemoilleaks »

oookaayyy... I know the Motorcraft EV127a is the PCV valve to get. But low and behold FedEx lacks the ability to deliver on time or take responsibility for a lost package. I'm still waiting for the PCV valve to arrive (even ordered another one from Amazon just to see who wins) but in the mean time...,

I got the dipstick situation sorted with a plug wire boot. But then I blew the oil separator out of the valve cover. Like blew it completely out.
I'm wondering what, if anything, can be done to maybe snug up the connection between the oil separator and the valve cover.

Short of tapping it for an AN fitting and just running a catch can, anyone have any solutions for the early design VC?
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Sounds like you have really high blow-by if you're:
having this massive oil leak
blowing the oil separator out of the valve cover
blowing out the oil dipstick

You should probably do a compression/leak down test and see what's going on with the engine.
Meanwhile, you could also just go to the local parts store and pick up a PCV, I know you ordered one as well, but the waiting is ridiculous. Your call...if you go that route and get one at the store, let me know and I'll buy the rock auto one when it shows up from you if you don't want to be stuck with a spare.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Same thing happened to me. Old non-motorcraft pcv went out and I kept pressurizing my crankcase. Breather pops off, oil all over the place.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Wait...your screen name is oil leaks? What are you going to do after you fix it? You will need a new name.
oemoilleaks

Post by oemoilleaks »

So it turned out to be the PCV valve.

The car had a motorcraft EV127a in there already. But it was old. And grey. And when I went to pull it out I had to do so piece by piece... it had completely disintegrated/disassembled itself in the hose.

The new one seems to have solve that issue. But now after it gets warmed up, it likes to die when rolling to a stop.

Met and talked with WhiteLX at RADWOOD yesterday and he gave me some helpful advice that I ended up forgetting when the day got away from me and became night. I think it was adjusting idle speed so it would idle with the plug on the IACV unplugged.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

See if you can't get the full workshop manual on pdf. When you are doing all those tune-up steps also clean out the IACV. Just spray carb cleaner into it until the runoff is clear.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:54 am See if you can't get the full workshop manual on pdf. When you are doing all those tune-up steps also clean out the IACV. Just spray carb cleaner into it until the runoff is clear.
If you still have the fold-up instructions on the underside of the hood, it tells you how to set the idle.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:54 am See if you can't get the full workshop manual on pdf. When you are doing all those tune-up steps also clean out the IACV. Just spray carb cleaner into it until the runoff is clear.
Better is to remove the solenoid from the valve; that way you can wiggle the pintle valve to better clean it w/carb cleaner.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
oemoilleaks

Post by oemoilleaks »

I have the full workshop manual in binder form I just haven't had a minute to go through it. I had surgery yesterday so I was pre-occupied. Have the day off now to do some light reading!