Accidentally shortened Steering Shaft - Bearing Installation Tips

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Accidentally shortened Steering Shaft - Bearing Installation Tips

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

reddy2300 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:52 pm Great. Another mod. What's the advantage of the Scorpio column?
First, keep in mind that the thru-the-firewall bearing is the same for XR or Scorpio, so NO need to install the Scorpio column in the XR to be able to use this bearing.

Myself and "Taps" are the only ones I know of who have swapped the Scorpio steering column into the XR. It is a pretty big project, requiring a Scorpio donor for the mounting sheet metal, which is entirely different from the XR. It's documented in here with pics, so probably best to seek out that thread for details.

Here's the thread - Rob's RHD w/ Scorpio dash - and then mine - LHD w/ XR dash...
http://forums.merkurclub.net/forum/view ... =19&t=5594
Brad
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I'm having trouble finding the devil chip. Can you post a link? Thanks
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Ah, ok, I'm not cutting off the front half of the car to swap the column. I need to get this one back together so I can actually drive it. I've got so much taken apart now I'm a bit concerned.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

my8950 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:08 pm Ah, ok, I'm not cutting off the front half of the car to swap the column.
I presume that's an exaggeration, yes? No cutting required, just some drilling out of the spot-welds for the steering column mounting sheet metal - both the XR and donor Scorpio. I don't want to suggest it's simple and fast, it's not. But no need to cut the car in half. :)
Brad
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:15 am
my8950 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:08 pm Ah, ok, I'm not cutting off the front half of the car to swap the column.
I presume that's an exaggeration, yes? No cutting required, just some drilling out of the spot-welds for the steering column mounting sheet metal - both the XR and donor Scorpio. I don't want to suggest it's simple and fast, it's not. But no need to cut the car in half. :)
Maybe not in half, but quartered then... :)
It's a little of both, maybe something I will do down the road. Right now I've got the engine out so I can clean up engine bay and swap to manual trans. Just pulled the entire rear beam out to do the Supra Diff swap. I think if I take much more apart, the car will never go back together again.