Question installing AEM wide band 30-4110...

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
pvan

Question installing AEM wide band 30-4110...

Post by pvan »

Looking at adding an AEM wide band O2 kit to my modified '85 XR4Ti and was wondering if this will work with the stock computer? I have read opinions stating both yes and no. I'd like it mainly for the gauge and to keep an eye on my AFR, but I want to replace the stock sensor rather than run a second O2 if possible.

So, can I replace my stock O2 sensor with the AFR and not mess up my reading to the computer? In photos/instrutions, I saw there is a switch on the back to change the signal and was wondering if that is what I would use.

Thanks for any help.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Question installing AEM wide band 30-4110...

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I have always seen the wideband stuff added on as a second O2 and all it's wiring. Not sure what would happen if you replaced the stock O2 with a wideband version. There's probably a way to run just a single O2 as long as the computer gets the same input it did before.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
pvan

Post by pvan »

I had read something about some have both a wide band signal for a gauge, but also had a standard (narrow) band for the stock ECU. Hoping someone knows of such a beast.
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta »

I've never personally used one but it sounds like you're talking about something like this:

https://www.plxdevices.com/Wideband-O2- ... 002726.htm
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!
JimG
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JimG »

Its my understanding that to get an accurate reading on a wideband, the sensor needs to be further away from the Turbo. Check the mfr or maybe stinger
Jim Gosses
86 XR4TI, 165K, T-5, IC, RR, PBR Fronts, T-bird Rear Discs
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

If the wideband has a simulated narrowband output this can be fed to the factory ecu. The main issue with the wideband too close to the turbo is longevity. They recommend 18” down stream of the turbo to make it last. I have mine 1/2 way through the downpipe. I’ve replaced a couple sensors in the 10 or so years I’ve been running mine. I can’t say for certain if the failures were from heat or what but I don’t think 5 years is bad for an O2 sensor. They also make heatsinks to install between the sensor and downpipe if you wanted to try one of those.
Here is just one example:
https://www.verociousmotorsports.com/Sh ... -Heat-Sink
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I never heard of doing this before, but I guess you can connect the analog outputs to your engines computer. This one seems cool, and not super expensive. But if any part ever broke you'd lose the signal, so maybe leave an old fashion O2 sensor installed to use as a backup.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/inn- ... gJsZfD_BwE
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Air:Fuel sensors ("WBO2") work differently than conventional O2 sensors, and while many AFR sensors will simulate O2 sensor readings, they aren't exactly analogous. On primitive engine management like EEC IV it may be fine, but it also might not work as expected. That, coupled with the need to mount the AFR sensor further downstream gives little reason to use the emulation IMHO. Leave the factory sensor where it is, put the AFR further down in the downpipe where it belongs, & run them both.