Scorpio Euro Headlight Wiring

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Scorpio Euro Headlight Wiring

Post by john keefe »

So, I'm finally getting around to installing a nice set of Euro Scorpio headlights I got from Jeff Herson... very nice stuff, as usual. I've converted a couple XR's to the Cossie lights, so I expected that the inner lamps were real driving lights, like the Cossies, which is also very nice to have.

I thought it was just some British crossover of language that they kept referring to these lights as "Fog" lights. Now it seems these really are just fog lights... True?

Dual fog lamp pairs, high and low? Both going on at the same time? Was that standard in Euro?

Though the lamps are H3's, it looks like they're powered off the low beam circuit, and only uses tiny 18g wires for power, and has 18g for ground shared with the parking lamp. I'm sure that's sufficient for H3's at lower current, but not large enough for "driving lights. These lights in the Cossie use 14g., and power is taken off the hi-beams (IIRC).

Not sure I like/need the idea of simultaneous hi-and-low fog lights, after being able to use real driving lights. But, it would make wiring simpler just tapping into the existing under-bumper fog light wiring. On the other hand, it's not that much work to swap the internal wiring to the "fog" light from 18g. to 14g., and then build a dedicated relayed circuit to convert this to "driving lights."

But, this brings up the question whether the design of these reflectors even make for decent driving lights. Light pattern is necessarily different. Yeah, they look similar to the Cossie reflectors, but not the same.

What have you guys done? If you converted to driving lights, was it worth the effort? And no, if I do convert it over, I won't be going to 100W H3's. :)
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: Scorpio Euro Headlight Wiring

Post by Ed Lijewski »

You may be overthinking this (or not...).

On my Scorpio Euros the driving light function powers both the outer high beams and the inner lights. That, along with the tight focus of the inner reflectors, is what makes the Euro "driving lights" feature illuminate as well it does.

YMMV
Last edited by Ed Lijewski on Wed May 29, 2019 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Don't the lights found on cars from Germany and France aim over the one way, and the other euro lights aim in the opposite direction?
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I have the low end Euro lights. So my "inner lights" are not present. They are just reflectors.
I installed some high performance H4 bulbs. The city lights I just connected to the running lights.
I have also since installed clear corner lights.

I have considered installing 100w fog lamp bulbs - in the actual fog lamps. Not sure the assembly/wiring can handle that.

Specialization is for Insects
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Yeah, overthinking it again. Looks like plug and go. So, white wire is HI, yellow is LOW (easy to remember, as yellow has "low" in it, duh. Except evidently for me). Got them mixed up. Lesson is don't start trying to decipher wiring at the end of a long week, and a couple beers, just because you finally have a little "free" time to use before you don't have it anymore. Cheers!

So Ed, do you find the combo of H3 and Hi-beams too much for city/highway driving? Or just right? Lot of traffic out here, and lot's leaving their Hi's on in bumper-to-bumper traffic is almost the norm, and irritating as hell. And a lot of new SUV types seems to have ultra bright lights at just about mirror height. Don't wanna be one of those. The Cossie H4 high beam is sufficient around here... the combo with the H3 is great late at night, or out on the open road, but is probably a distraction/hazard otherwise. Then again, the Cossie H3 is wired with 14ga. and the Scorpio is only 18ga. so maybe the latter doesn't throw out as much light?

Brokencase... Car still looks good, can't tell the difference.

Still have no idea why they call them "Fog" lights in the U.K. Fog lights go below, so you can illuminate UNDER the fog/sleet/snow.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

brokencase wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:22 pm
I have considered installing 100w fog lamp bulbs - in the actual fog lamps. Not sure the assembly/wiring can handle that.

It can't. Tried it. Did a nose check of wiring afterward; pee-ewww. Reinstalled OEM wattage bulbs.

YMMV
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I activate the high beam switch on open roads/highways and occasionally on neighborhood roads, and of course signaling approaching high beam boors. It's just nice to have that boosted illumination at hand.

But overall I prefer the look of the OEM Scorpio lenses than the Euros. I gave up something I value to get something else I value. If I did a lot of night driving I might feel differently. I actually thought of going back to stock lights. I might have done that--but my really clean OEM set on Ebay sold while I was mulling that over.

YMMV
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Yeah, same thing happens every time I clean up my garage. I have to look at stuff and seriously ask, "Am I really going to use this, or need it to fabricate something anytime soon?" And as soon as the answer is, "No" and I've tossed it out, I'll be looking for exactly that item a week later for some other use. Never fails. That's why I try to salvage everything when I'm remodeling... you never know when you can use some original piece to match something.

I actually think both styles look good, but with the hatchback version only. Makes the sedan versions look like the bland late- '80's Taurus. But it also depends on the color of the car, and the clarity of the stock lenses. Stock ones definitely throwback to 80's, and SVO Mustangs. Might date the car, but it was also a neat aero solution for front cosmetics theme which a lot of other cars piggy-backed on later. On the other hand, the OEM parking lenses don't do much of anything, especially when cloudy, so at least from a pragmatic standpoint, better to have more functionality than less.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

100W H3's will fry the stock wiring, and while it won't melt the metal brackets, probably melt or distort the plastic reflectors around the bulb holder. When I surfed for info on the H3 wiring, came across a lot of forums for other vehicles where people had done just that.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

So, ease of installation aside, do you think the H4 hi-beams are enough by themselves for most situations?
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Years ago I installed Sylvania Silverstars which seemed to be an improvement in city use (didn't drive much outside of city roads). Today H4 manufacturers claim greater improvement than I recall for my earlier Silverstars. I think I'd be satisfied with their latest upgrade of H4s.

YMMV
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

None of the cleverly marketed bulbs like Silverstars, etc offer any improvement. They might have a color temperature that is different but that is about it. The reason anybody claims that they are brighter than what they had previously is because halogen bulbs degrade over time.
So a fresh standard set would have appeared brighter.

The manufacturers can't legally make them brighter than spec. Which is there to protect the eyes of the oncoming drivers.

But I do believe the Euro style reflectors are better focused than the USA stock headlights. Plus they are glass, so they won't yellow or haze over.
Specialization is for Insects
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Have you guys found a cross-referenced turn signal socket that fits the Euro Scorpio? My new turn signal lenses/housings use a 2-tab locking system, while the Merkur Scorpio has the typical 3-tab 1157 socket.

Don't want to notch out the new lens housings to make 3 tabs in order to reuse the Merkur socket. But, can't find anything remotely close on eBay, or various parts stores on-line.

What have you guys used, or were you lucky enough to have Euro harnesses/sockets come with yours?
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Never mind... I loath hacking new parts for something like this, but I don't want to spend anymore on this swap. So I taped-over and cut-traced the old socket cup notch pattern with an exacto knife, transferred the jig to the new light, and filed two new notches. Works fine.

For a "simple" swap, this is getting PD annoying. Difficult? No. But annoying. Now on to making 4 brackets. But, I'm sure the illumination will be a LOT better than the stock headlights. Polishing UV damaged plastic w/ mag polish, and clear coating only works for so long. KInda' like trying to keep a fiberglass hull clean... once you've cut into that microscopic top layer of gloss on gel coat, you're just polishing softer resin.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

brokencase wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:36 pm None of the cleverly marketed bulbs like Silverstars, etc offer any improvement. They might have a color temperature that is different but that is about it. The reason anybody claims that they are brighter than what they had previously is because halogen bulbs degrade over time.
So a fresh standard set would have appeared brighter.

The manufacturers can't legally make them brighter than spec. Which is there to protect the eyes of the oncoming drivers.

But I do believe the Euro style reflectors are better focused than the USA stoc3k headlights. Plus they are glass, so they won't yellow or haze over.
Since when have government regulations prevented enterprising firms here from pushing the limits?

Can you point to where federal gummint slapped wrists on manufacturers pushing limits on aftermarket H4/H3 products?

YMMV