installed HALLMAN Boost Controller but...

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
R1S1

installed HALLMAN Boost Controller but...

Post by R1S1 »

So i installed this boost controller just for fun, set the lowest setting possible (Screw counter clockwise out) but no luck it wants to give full boost, you think its toast or maybe needs repair, i do hear the check valve is loose inside as it should be :?:
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: installed HALLMAN Boost Controller but...

Post by thesameguy »

A manual boost controller can't lower boost, it can only raise boost. Minimum boost will always be controlled by the wastegate actuator.
R1S1

Post by R1S1 »

thank you sir, im still learning as much as possible this being my first Turbo car. :notworthy
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Maybe post a pic of it and how you have it mounted/connected. As sameguy said, minimum boost is set by the Waste Gate Actuator (WGA) and is nominally ten PSI. What is the level you are seeing on the gauge?
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

R1S1 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:52 pm So i installed this boost controller just for fun, set the lowest setting possible (Screw counter clockwise out) but no luck it wants to give full boost, you think its toast or maybe needs repair, i do hear the check valve is loose inside as it should be :?:
If the diaphragm on the turbo is bad you will have no control and just boost to the moon all the time. Do you have one from boost valve dot com? If it's an ebay cheapie I wouldn't even use it. I unscrewed my boost valve all the way out (older brass gillis type) and the ball got lost. Zero boost. I was able to go on their site and just order the spring and ball which was pretty cool. Is the ball or spring just rattling around inside? That doesn't sound right it should have some tension.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Just noticed you said it was a Hallman. Just remember the name brand stuff like turbosmart or forge is expensive, so if it was 19.99 or something I would be suspect that it is real. Not sure if there are Hallman fakes out there but I wouldn't be surprised.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Hallman is very reputable - they have been around literally forever... probably one of the first modern MBCs out there.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Should be a good one then if it's genuine. Here's a pic of a fake (sometimes they will print (not lazer etch) forge turbosmart etc. So if it ships from asia and is 20-30 bucks I'd be suspicious.