Fuel fill & Smell

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
JimG
Level 5
Level 5

Fuel fill & Smell

Post by JimG »

Lately when gassing up I find that unless I fill very slowly gas will out from under. Also when on the highway opeing the sundroof causes a gasoline smell inside the car. I looked at the shop manual but there was no picture or description of how the filler pipe connect to the tank.
Suggestions and pics would be appreciated.
Jim Gosses
86 XR4TI, 165K, T-5, IC, RR, PBR Fronts, T-bird Rear Discs
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Fuel fill & Smell

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I suspect the line that runs from the gas tank to the charcoal canister in the engine bay has cracked.
Brad
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

As mentioned, evap line to canister is broken, or came off at either end.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

The filler tube between the gas cap and the tank could also be an issue, along with the evap canister/line. Recently someone else was talking about the slow fill-up syndrome. Most cars I've seen have that extra smaller tube that runs parallel with the main tube that functions as an air vent while adding fuel. On the xr it is just the one main tube with a divider inside the upper half, that allows fuel to flow into the tank quickly. So see if there is some type of blockage in that section. Once the gas cap is back on the filler tube or neck is sealed so you shouldn't smell fuel. I would bet there's an additional fuel line leak someplace, either by the fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel rail or injectors.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
JimG
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JimG »

Thanks all for your input!
The fuel spill tends to lead me to the connection between the filler pipe and the gas tank. But i hope to be able to chack out both soon.
Jim Gosses
86 XR4TI, 165K, T-5, IC, RR, PBR Fronts, T-bird Rear Discs
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I looked at my 89 yesterday since the tank is currently out, and it doesn't seem to have that metal divider inside the filler tube like I saw on my old 86 XR. The 89 has a plastic hose (inside) that runs the length of the filler tube helping to vent air while fueling. So possibly another difference between older and newer XRs. Could that hose come loose and drop down into the tank causing slow fueling syndrome?
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.