New Merkur owner and the journey so far

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
4EyedTurd

New Merkur owner and the journey so far

Post by 4EyedTurd »

Hello, I’m the proud new owner of a 1985 XR4TI that’s been sitting since roughly 1997. While I’ve owned a 88 Turbocoupe, couple of SVO’s and did a turbo ranger this is my first Merkur. I’ve never paid attention to how different the interior is on these cars until now. Here it is on the way home

The task of seeing if it would run started at the fuel tank. It was obvious as I loaded it on the trailer it was leaking and smelled of old fuel. After pulling it, I found it was rotten at the seam and from searching found the Foxbody tank was a doable swap. So, a new tank, 255 pump, an attempt at a sending unit and fabbed filler neck got that problem fixed. I removed the second fuel pump. A fresh battery confirmed we had fuel pumping with no leaks.

With the fresh battery I tried cranking it and found the next issue. I had starter noises but the motor wasn’t moving. So, I pulled the starter and found the spinning but was trashed and not engaging the flywheel. I believe was the reason it was parked. A new starter on got me a motor that spun over nicely, to nice actually. The timing belt was split. It’s been 10years since I played with a 2.3t but I remember how to do a timing belt.

New timing belt on it and I had spark and fuel pressure, it would crank over but not start so I went over all the grounds and hots. With starting fluid it would run for a minute so I pulled the brown tops and with berrymans cleaner I flushed all 4. Put them back in and it fired off and ran like it had been running the day before. Someone had cut the exhaust where it crosses under the transmission so I got full tractor/turbo noises. It had been a long time since I heard that and I kinda missed it.

Well, let’s see if it’ll move, put in gear, little gas and it moved. Yes! Clutch seems good, trans didn’t make any funny noises and rear end didn’t either. I let it run and get some heat in it. Afterwards I changed the oil and filter and topped the coolant off. I noticed most of the gauges don’t move in the dash so I can’t confirm is my attempt at a fuel gauge works, the vacuum/boost gauge works and the tach is low and temp gauge is dead. I confirmed the fan works by jumpering the fan switch but have yet to see if come on.

I noticed a miss and decided the plug wires have seen better days as some mice made a snack out of them. I’ve never seen wires labeled with a date and by number. I’m guessing they were factory.

We’re up to date, I ordered some 195/60/14 tires for the stock wheels. Going to put some fresh paint on the wheels when I put them on. I’m still not sure if I’m gonna connect the exhaust back or leave open down pipe and keep sorting thru the issues of a car that’s been sitting.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Re: New Merkur owner and the journey so far

Post by my8950 »

Nice!
Surprised you can still get 14" tires.
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Welcome to the club. You now have been infected with Merkuritise. Use the XR Forum. You'll appreciate the "Search" function especially compared to FB.
4EyedTurd

Post by 4EyedTurd »

I kinda looked for atleast some 15’s but I’m still not sure what fits so I couldn’t go wrong with just new tires. I took the time to sandblast the wheels and put some fresh paint on them before I put tires on and it looks better. Even drove it around the yard a bit and my todo list gained a few items. The power steering needs some attention as it doesn’t provide must assist, the clutch engages close to the floor and the blinkers don’t work. Thanks to the search I’ve got some direction on those.
salukixr4ti
Level 3
Level 3

Post by salukixr4ti »

Congratulations on what looks like a really solid project car. Your approach and tactics are spot on. Definitely get acquainted with the vendors that support our community. Where are you located?
This ain't no disco...It's Wichita.
4EyedTurd

Post by 4EyedTurd »

Thanks, I’m in central Texas. Speaking of vendors, is there an updated list of good vendors? I’m trying to find steering rack boots at the moment.
salukixr4ti
Level 3
Level 3

Post by salukixr4ti »

Jeff Herson-Merkur Parts Midwest. 847-688-1234
This ain't no disco...It's Wichita.
4EyedTurd

Post by 4EyedTurd »

Knocking out some things. Pulled the cluster to reflow the joints and fix the lazy tach, figured I’d pull the anti slosh board to see if my fuel gauge would work but it’s still dead. Jumpered some wires in the turn signal switch to get my blinkers working and somehow lost the screw to the top steering column cover.

I pulled the carpet and seats out to clean and defunk the interior. I was suprised how easy it all came out. The carpet was nasty and it cleaned up a little bit it smells much better. The Texas sun hasn’t been kind to the seats.

Next on the list is fix the clutch that engages right off the floor, steering rack boots, fix rear passenger marker lense that’a wedged between the bumper and lense housing and see if I can fix the rear wing and keep it from crumbling more.

my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Dang, how does a carpet even get that nasty?
4EyedTurd

Post by 4EyedTurd »

Looked like a a few sodas have been spilt in it
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Congrats on the purchase and welcome!
So many bi wing spoilers are looking just like yours.
I have a few that will crack if you just look at them.

If you find you need a new clutch quadrant and pawl to fix the issue at the pedal I have them in stock FYI:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204309476915
4EyedTurd

Post by 4EyedTurd »

Thanks, I’m gonna talk to a buddy that does auto body repair and see if he want to mess with the spoiler before it gets worse.

I did find a spring in the console that I didn’t think anything of until I ran across a picture of what looks like the same one labeled as a clutch return spring. I’m trying to find a picture of where it’s supposed to be
Chesterfield

Post by Chesterfield »

4EyedTurd wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:28 pm
I did find a spring in the console that I didn’t think anything of until I ran across a picture of what looks like the same one labeled as a clutch return spring. I’m trying to find a picture of where it’s supposed to be
Page 16-02-12 in the workshop manual
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

You can find all the links you need here for the shop manuals. There are a few errors in them here or there. But those types of things are also covered here as well. I would go with what Jeff or Mike tell you (and get parts from them when possible) over what 420racerpimp or the like says.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
4EyedTurd

Post by 4EyedTurd »

What is a Merkur rolling chassis worth? I acquired my mom’s old 88 Ranger and it needs a 2.3t swap. As much as I don’t want to part out a running driving car but having parts that I know are good sitting in my backyard makes financial sense to me.