New Scorpio owner

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
brmcandy
Level 1
Level 1

New Scorpio owner

Post by brmcandy »

I have to be honest, :? I did not know what I bought. :oops: I fell in love with the car. It purrs like a kitten. I somehow felt secure when I sat behind the wheel. I had so much cash and all the others in my price range were junk. Yep, I bought a Scorpio. It is a 1989 hatchback, red with those leather seats. Any other car with 99,000 miles and good tires would have cost me a bundle. I made sure I could fix the supposedly rear U-joint. I only paid $675.00 for the car. Then the nightmare at DMV. It was a tow lein title from auction, no plates and Oregon DMV had a terrible time finding the make and model code for the trip permit. Finally got it straight (they call it a FORD MERK) So I am off with papers in hand to the shop, I need the U-joint fixed, found the part in Seattle. Mechanic calls............not the U-joint! It was the coupler (you probably know the one....rubber) I will have the car Monday, but ...............He says the other 2 joints are okay, but the drivesahft is so rusty I better baby it. He also said he was sure I would want to sell it sometime. It has the manual in the glove box so I might be able to figure out what all these crazy buttons do and how to work the seats. It shows that it is getting 30 miles to the gallon of gas (a big plus right now) I LOVE THE CAR! With my bill of sale, the guy handed me a phone number of a guy who came on my heels to buy it (a previous Merkur owner) and want to pay me more than I paid for the car. I am in a dilemma. Tell me it is worth it....only rust beside the driveline is a very small amount on the top of the rear wheel fenders, anything I can do about this? Otherwise beautiful body. Interior leather looking cracked and torn in one spot. I am very glad you all are here :!: ......Candy
MarioP3_XR4Ti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MarioP3_XR4Ti »

Welcome to Merkur ownership. If you are anywhere near Portland there is a meet this Sunday near Vancouver for the PNWMON group. Which is the Pacific North West Merkur Owners Network. If you can make it you'll get to meet a few of the folks who have these cars AND meet a at least one great source for parts for your car - perhaps more than one, Oregon has the original souce for Merkur parts, RAPIDO.

Want to know more? Click below or PM me!

http://www.merkurclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4149
Mario Perez
88 XR4Ti 4.6 AODE
01 320d Touring
brmcandy
Level 1
Level 1

club meet

Post by brmcandy »

I am near Portland. I would love to meet others and learn about this car more. The scorpio will be ready from the shop Monday. Somehow I have a feeling when others get to see this car, they will probably have seen it around here. It was towed and resold with a lein on it. It apparently did not have Oregon plates, but the plates were stolen off it so we do not know where it came from. I bet this car could tell some stories!
Candy
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

Candy, I'll plan on meeting you tomorrow. :D
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

Welcome :!:
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."
sniper

Hello

Post by sniper »

Hy
I like Ford..............
:lol: :lol:
My car: 1990 2,0 Dohc Scorpio :D
wilky
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wilky »

Welcome aboard Candy - wish I could pick up a Scorp for that price. I love my XR's but the Scorp would make a great (and comfortable) cruiser.

Wilky
Seeking relationship with sexy lady Merkur owner (send pic of Merkur).
brmcandy
Level 1
Level 1

Update

Post by brmcandy »

Thanks for all the wonderful welcomes :). Since I posted this thread, the original Scorpio turned out to be a rust bucket underneath and went to Yacolt Wa. as a parts car. I then became the owner of a mono white 88 XR May 1st. Now as of last week, We have added an 89 black on black Scorpio. We are working on it and plan to have the best of both worlds so to speak......but I do love my XR!

Candy
Candy
1988 mono white XR4Ti

phild765
Level 6
Level 6

Re: New Scorpio owner

Post by phild765 »

[.only rust beside the driveline is a very small amount on the top of the rear wheel fenders, anything I can do about this?
Yes, it is a common problem, that is why we sell the following items:
http://www.opmd.com/main.cfm?tpl=product.cfm&pid=148

Phil Dorsey
opmd.com
Check out our new Groove oriented web radio station: http://www.thebocx.com