regarding the T9 strenght issues

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Peter88

regarding the T9 strenght issues

Post by Peter88 »

Just wondering if the input shaft bearing in the t9 was replaced with a stronger one would it help in the longevity. That's if there is such a thing. My car is growing roots in the garage and the t5 right now is not possible. I have a new centerforce clutch in the tranny now and so I hope there is some sort of solution that will help me out not just replace tranny. Hope you guys can help out a bro in need. :cry:
Peter88

Post by Peter88 »

forgot to mention some upgrades in power will come as well :)
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

I've always asked about strengthening the T9's weak point(s) to allow for at least a modicum of ability to deal with more power, but responses all seem to be negative...
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Peter88

Post by Peter88 »

My father works as a mechanic and he has had the opportunity to work on many different cars here and in europe so I'm hoping he will have some ideas, like he always does, to this problem. Old man still has that tuning bug......thank god.
xrian
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrian »

Quaif used to sell an uprated gear set with different ratios for the T9 but haven't seen anything for quite some time. I do remember it being VERY expensive!
Ian G-J
Ontario, Canada
iammsp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by iammsp »

Hey Brad if you are out there to chime in on this one...Ricky swears on the T9 to about 400hp (maybe he can verify that by watching his recently acquired boost gauge!)...another guy here in Winchester with a pretty nicely modded XR4 says that the only modification that he didn't end up too happy with was the T5 upgrade. I think he said he thought the T9 was a lot smoother. I dunno too much about the T9 though...I just bought and my car and parked it for the SLOW rebuild so I don't have too much behind the wheel experience with the T9.
My Ex-Girlfriend would be a lot easier to get over if I was in my 4x4.
www.akarally.com
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

xrian wrote:Quaif used to sell an uprated gear set with different ratios for the T9 but haven't seen anything for quite some time.
The T9 can't be the worst transmission on the planet because Quaife bases some of their billybada** transmissions on the T9. The "Rocketbox" and the "Bullet" are 4-speed versions and the "26Z Sierra Sequential 4/5/6-Speed Gearbox" has some out of control options. Here's a link to a page (from a table, so it won't have any navigation).

http://www.quaifeamerica.com/transmissi ... rraseq.htm

The full version of the page can be found by:

- http://www.quaifeamerica.com/
- click "transmissions"
- scroll down and click "26Z Sierra Sequential..."

This is a real-deal Holyfield racing transmission. Straight cut gears, dog engagement (no synchros) and sequential shift (click back for upgear, click forward for downgear) and a price tag of about $9500 (for a six speed).
xrian wrote:I do remember it being VERY expensive!
Yeah, Quaife = premium price. However, Quaife makes premium quality parts. You don't get the impression that corners were cut. I guess the point of my post is to say that there are good T9 parts out there. How compatible Quaife parts are with stock parts, I dunno.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
wilky
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wilky »

IMHO the T-9 is a POC and not worth the effort - FastFord87 broke mine with 175HP and 15 sec 1/4.

Wilky
Seeking relationship with sexy lady Merkur owner (send pic of Merkur).
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

I took out one T9 by cracking the case when my guibo blew at 120+ mph... then I took out the replacement after about 6 months, when the input shaft bearing wore out after I had a reputable local shop do a complete once-over on the internals and repair/replace worn parts. :?

I decided the T9 wasn't for me, so I bought a T5 from the junkyard and never looked back. I just wish I hadn't got the 3.97 first gear.. though it does do some nice burnouts. :lol:

Colin
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
XR4Timan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by XR4Timan »

A built T9 is better IMO than a Mustang T5 in a Merkur. It zaps less power and is quieter without the mechanical shifter feel of the T5.
1986 Sierra Cosworth
http://www.geocities.com/merouby
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

I like the mechanical feel.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

XR4Timan wrote:A built T9 is better IMO than a Mustang T5 in a Merkur. It zaps less power and is quieter without the mechanical shifter feel of the T5.
Good golly. I'm about enter the opinion-zone here, so this is everybody's fair warning. The T9 has been one of the worst shiftng transmissions I've ever driven. I've operated a variety of examples of T9s (probably 10 different transmissions) and they are consistently balky transmissions. I developed my habit of double clutching in cold weather because of the T9. I'm used to them, certainly, since I have close to 100,000 miles of T9 operating experience, but that doesn't mean I like it. I always appreciate being behind the wheel of my racer because it has the T5 (among other reasons).

I didn't realize the T9 was a more efficient transmission than the T5. Could you send me a link, or information, about the power consumption of both the T9 and the T5 so I can look over the data?

Finally, there's certainly nothing pleasant about the T9's shifter feel. Adjectives like; rubbery, resistant, and non-positive engagement come to mind.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

My XR was MUCH faster after the T5 swap. Lower gears, yes, but I think it also puts the power to the ground more efficiently.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
XR4Timan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by XR4Timan »

I didn't realize the T9 was a more efficient transmission than the T5. Could you send me a link, or information, about the power consumption of both the T9 and the T5 so I can look over the data?
I remember it from a post from the Roland Zuk-IMON days. I couldn't prove it now, however I definately remember reading it - but I believe it.
1986 Sierra Cosworth
http://www.geocities.com/merouby
jasonty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jasonty »

burton power has it
xrian wrote:Quaif used to sell an uprated gear set with different ratios for the T9 but haven't seen anything for quite some time. I do remember it being VERY expensive!
jason yancey
stephens city va
87XR-88XR
NOVAMOG

"as long as you keep picking on me I will tend to mad post about me getting mad......"