Thunderbird turbo coupe?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
PiMpIn SmUrF
Level 2
Level 2

Thunderbird turbo coupe?

Post by PiMpIn SmUrF »

hey well there is a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe at a local junk yard here, it looks like its the same engine but with a intercooler like my merk, is there n e thing i should take from it that will perform better?
Black94 5.0
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Black94 5.0 »

What year is it?...87-88?

An LA3 EEC/big VAM is worth while.....
*Bilsteins, MC2 250# coil overs front, 600# rear, BAT sway bars, full 3" exh, Gillis valve, K&N, MC2 Diff mount and bushings, 17x7 Team Dynamics Monza's, 225/45-17's, Eaton Posi, RS500 (clone) intercooler/radiator, Forge BOV and LA computer and big VAM...
PiMpIn SmUrF
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PiMpIn SmUrF »

ya its a 88
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

'Ya might as well snag the IC while you're at it. Get the bracket for it, as well as the couplers.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
wilky
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wilky »

T-5
Seeking relationship with sexy lady Merkur owner (send pic of Merkur).
vchipeur
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vchipeur »

nap the tranny, driveshaft, la3, big vam, intercooler, shifter boot, and knob. Also grab the diff and rear axle assembly if you want posi down the road.I wouldn't use the intercooler though, just sell it. But they never hurt to have another one around i guess. Half the battle of your t5 swap is from that car right there.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Some people like the IHI turbo, too, for a torquey, down-low power curve.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
PiMpIn SmUrF
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PiMpIn SmUrF »

damn i should just snag the whole damn car, the engine is MINT, just the side got smoked
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

I didn't know that the AC was different.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrattiracer »

the a/c is different between pretty much all turbofords.
the ic is a good unit, its just in a bad location.
86 Silver XR4Ti. 'squirted. 12.7@111
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6
EastcoastXR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EastcoastXR »

if you put that engine in, use the TC wiring harness, it would be easier. The O2 sensor is different, the knock sensor, and I beleive some coolant sensor in/below the intake is moved to the back, or vise/versa. I had a hell of a time with that swap
Merkenstein
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Merkenstein »

I am fixing to put in my TC enigine too. I was wondering if the pilot bearing from the TC is different since it has the T5 or is it the same as the XR? I am not doing the T5 swap right now and I wanna make sure the TC's pilot bearing will work on the T9. [/quote]

EastcoastXR said previously that the O2 sensor is different, the knock sensor, and I beleive some coolant sensor in/below the intake is moved to the back, or vise/versa.

I guess that means I need to put the XR's O2, Knock, and Coolant sensors in the TC block, right?
xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrattiracer »

EastcoastXR wrote:if you put that engine in, use the TC wiring harness, it would be easier. The O2 sensor is different, the knock sensor, and I beleive some coolant sensor in/below the intake is moved to the back, or vise/versa. I had a hell of a time with that swap
NO! the tc harness is hell compared to the stock xr harness. has all sorts of body wiring in it for lights and such, abs, etc. it gets real ugly real fast. if a couple sensors is all you are worried about, use the stock xr intake, or do a bit of splicing in the harness. dont bother with the knock sensor in any case.
and yes, the pilot bearing is the same.
86 Silver XR4Ti. 'squirted. 12.7@111
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

EastcoastXR wrote:if you put that engine in, use the TC wiring harness, it would be easier. The O2 sensor is different, the knock sensor, and I beleive some coolant sensor in/below the intake is moved to the back, or vise/versa. I had a hell of a time with that swap
Nah....just use the XR harness. It's not hard to add/lengthen leads if you need to.
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."