Head-liner Replacement <headliner replacement>

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Head-liner Replacement <headliner replacement>

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Thought someone might find this link helpful...

http://www.geocities.com/novamog/Headliner.html
wilky
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wilky »

Ha ha, thanks - you must have noticed my drooping headliner at Carlisle!

Wilky
Seeking relationship with sexy lady Merkur owner (send pic of Merkur).
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

i was sitting in my merk yesterday, looking at the head liner, which would be in pristine condition if a mouse or three didn't decide to make a nest out of the backing. and piss on the liner. so in the back it droops with mouse bedding and is discolored. :(

thanks tho this link helps and i think i might just recover the headliner with crushed black velvet type carpeting. or regular.

whatever ;)
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Be careful any time you're working around mouse droppings and/or nesting. The Hunta virus is transmitted this way, and it can kill you. Put a mask on.
Shigma
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Shigma »

demonfire wrote:i was sitting in my merk yesterday, looking at the head liner, which would be in pristine condition if a mouse or three didn't decide to make a nest out of the backing. and piss on the liner. so in the back it droops with mouse bedding and is discolored. :(

thanks tho this link helps and i think i might just recover the headliner with crushed black velvet type carpeting. or regular.

whatever ;)
Hey you want to do a CT headliner replacement day? IM me on AIM
01 Cavalier - it still runs!
08 Evo X GSR - Stock.. for now
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

This is extremely useful, and thanks for sharing it with us! Funny-- one day I was driving along and the headliner just kind of fell off the ceiling and draped itself on my head! Glad I wasn't merging onto the freeway at the time...so I went to the modern equivalent of the local "five and dime,", and got myself a box of chromed tumbtacks, which, to my eternal disgrace, are still in use. Nevertheless...

Call me lazy, but a local shop here has given me an estimate of $100 to replace the whole enchilada, board and everything, plus he'll redo my leather inserts in the door 'cards.' Since this sounds like a boring, fussy job where if you have no experience it might turn out looking like crap, fill your nose with itchy stuff, and generally be a literal pain in the neck, that's the road I'm taking. To me, it's a different kettle of fish when it comes to stuff like this. I'll do mechanical work all day long (and boy, haven't I!), but this kind of thing I just leave to the pros. Really more of a matter of personal preference; I know what I'm good at and what I'm not, and since this is my hobby, I want to pick and choose what things I do or don't do myself.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
quirkymerk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by quirkymerk »

I planned on doing this before carlisle, jsut one of many things i planned on doing:( Oh well... i still haven't even put my rearview mirror back on, I am THAT lazy.

I hang my apt. hang tag from the moonroof crank that i pull down :lol:
'87 auto xr4ti sti wannabee going to Carlisle 2010!)
'90 5.0 LX stang
*Sarah*
richardcurtis
Level 6
Level 6

Post by richardcurtis »

John: if you get it done for $100 absolutely go for it. It's a job I've done a number of times and there's no way I'd do it for $100. Probably not even for $200. Materials alone cost me somewhere around $50 or more.
Richard Curtis
Fairfax Station, Va. '89XR (gone to a new home but not forgotten)
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

J.B. , I'd almost be leery of a a low-balled job like that..... Then again he could just be hurting for work...
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

shigma, what is your AIM addy? my car isn't on the road so i cant exactly go anywhere.

DPDISXR4Ti, are you serious? Hunta Virus? Eek, i'll look it up and be careful. I do have a respirator.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

demonfire wrote:DPDISXR4Ti, are you serious? Hunta Virus? Eek, i'll look it up and be careful. I do have a respirator.
Quite serious unfortunately. Except I spelled it wrong!

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hanta/hps/
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Chuck W wrote:J.B. , I'd almost be leery of a a low-balled job like that..... Then again he could just be hurting for work...
Thanks, but this is a highly reputable shop here in Scottsdale, who's been around for many years.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost