Cupholder Rant

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Cupholder Rant

Post by Ray »

Today was the first day i took the XR4Ti to work... and i had no place to put my travel mug of coffee. :(

i ended up putting saran wrap over the top to seal it then wedge it in the passenger seat by the seat belt. is there a cupholder in this damned thing?

lol
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

No. Our cars were built by people who were not obsessed with the American tradition of doing anything but driving while driving.
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

I dont drink coffee while i drive (hence the saran wrap) but i do like coffee at my office and office coffee SUCKS so i bring my own in :)

on a fun note, i blew one of the hoses off (intercooler) while pulling on the major road (luckily i live where there is almost no traffic and carry tools with me in this car)
lol @ me for laying on the ground at 6:30 in the morning on the side of the road fixing the car...
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Cupholder? Pick up a weight-challenged or unpretty chick needing a ride to hold your cup. Better yet, pick up a svelte, fashionable, exotic car loving Looker who'll exchange holding your, er, cup while you, er, drive. :wink:

YMMV
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

?

Post by Mike McCreight »

Thermos!!
Seriously, the 20 oz. Aladdin brand travel mug jams nicely between the inside passenger seat bolster and the E-brake handle.... Never lost a drop, even en-route to a rally event or two...
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
ronarnold
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ronarnold »

Just pick the right size travel mug and stick it in the cassette storage space under the armrest...open armrest first, natch. :lol:

Yes, you will need to ride around with the armrest open, but pick the right sized covered mug and you will have to roll over to spill a drop.
Ron in Royal Oak
Merkur days past...
Scooters now
jaredaseltzer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jaredaseltzer »

I just broke off all of the "fins" in the center console cassette tape holder except two in the center, opposite of each other. All of the cups that I ever used fit nicely in there with the arm rest up, and if you have cans or marginally sized cups, you can fit two in there.
tannehilln
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tannehilln »

Cup holder --

I do not know if they still have them but Rapido had a cup holder that attached to the top of the console and a holder for TWO cups slides out.
I have one and it is fairly good except with 2 cups it can interfere with shifting

Norm
Every day above ground is a good day!

Norm Tannehill

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.
Joseph Heller
logic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by logic »

There's a cheapo "accessory" maker out there called "Type-S" that make a decent A/C vent-mounted cup holder. You can get 'em @ Pep Boys or Autozone or what have you. I've got two in my XR and they work ok for soda cans or Lipton Iced Tea bottles and Mountain Dew bottles. A cup of coffe fits, too. But not a Snapple bottle. I like Snapple. It doesn't fit. I get angry. :x
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

I just drink from a 20 oz pop bottle.. it crams into that useless dash cubby perfectly. I guess you're screwed if you have an RS ecu cover... or if you call it "soda." ;)
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
wilky
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wilky »

Colin wrote:No. Our cars were built by people who were not obsessed with the American tradition of doing anything but driving while driving.
Spoken like a real man Colin (although probably one with coffee stains on his upholstery). :D

I use Mikes idea of a thermos wedged between the seat & handbrake - it keeps my G&T cold for hours!! 8)

Maybe you should switch to an auto DemonFire - you only need one hand and half a brain to drive those. :wink:

Wilky
Seeking relationship with sexy lady Merkur owner (send pic of Merkur).
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

I like Ed's idea best, though those types of cupholders tend to be unreliable. Plus, they tend to make squeaky noises while driving con brio...
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
KingpinCEO
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Cupholder Rant

Post by KingpinCEO »

demonfire wrote:Today was the first day i took the XR4Ti to work... and i had no place to put my travel mug of coffee. :(

i ended up putting saran wrap over the top to seal it then wedge it in the passenger seat by the seat belt. is there a cupholder in this damned thing?

lol
:D :lol: i do the same thing!.. i wedge my drink between the passenger seat and the center console thing.... i have racing seats though.

sometimes when i get supersized drinks, i put it in the seat, and put the seatbelt on it...

people in the drive thru always look at me like i'm a nut when i do that.
1985 Merkur XR4Ti - 2.5 ranger block greyhound bus turbo
1988 Mercedes Benz 190e - awaiting airbag suspension
2005 Dodge Magnum - 336,000 Mile Daily driver
2008 Subaru Legacy GT - crazy loud boxer rumble
2009 Suzuki GSX650F - crotch rocket

ig: @DJ_Kingpin
vcallaway
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vcallaway »

I did a website for a company a few years ago that made a bunch of aluminum things for racecars.

The number one selling item was a roll bar mount water bottle holder.
Vince Callaway
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

Here is my cupholder solution. I took a piece of 1/8" abs plastic and fabricated a plate to go where the cassette holder under the armrest is. Two spots that fit even those pesky snapple bottles. I'll try and post a few pics when i get back home.
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI