valve cover gasket

Merkur Scorpio / XR4Ti Technical Library - Check here for answers to common questions, problems and modifications.

Moderator: John Brennan

Merkur Club web site
SVT Driver627
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SVT Driver627 »

How hard will this be? Will i need to replace any other gaskets because i have to remove other things or jsut this gasket? Here's a couple pics of my engine bay if it'll help.

Also should i just use normal gasket seal for this gasket then?
~Alex

2000 SVT Contour
For Sale:
KD-AR5000 JVC HU
18" RS5's with tires
2 dish recievers
Local only please
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

You will have to remove one of two things to remove the VC. Either the upper intake, or the throttlebody. Either way be prepared to damage the gasket, because sometimes it can tear when you're taking it apart. Other than that, make sure that you seal it up the VC with the RTV sealant that doesn't harden.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

MerkXRTurbo wrote:Always seal the hell out of Merkur VC gaskets. It can't hurt, and will likely save you time later.
Or, buy the Ranger gasket, never use sealer it and never spend the time to clean the sealer off the gasket and the valve cover. Getting a substandard gasket and sealing IS a waste of time.

I'm going to throw out some speculation here that the folks who aren't busy touting how kicka** the Ranger gasket is have never seen/used the Ranger gasket.
xrian wrote:known inferior gasket
No kidding! Why get garbage when there are good parts available? I'll sell you a used Ranger gasket I've got and it's going to be WAY better than any other new gasket out there.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

I have the Ranger gasket and I've had to seal it. It never has stopped leaking completely, and I'm going to get a new one when I drop in my new shortblock in a couple of weeks here.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

MerkXRTurbo wrote:I have the Ranger gasket and I've had to seal it. It never has stopped leaking completely, and I'm going to get a new one when I drop in my new shortblock in a couple of weeks here.
Then something else is wrong. Was a FelPro used on there previous with those damned little grommets that get stuck in the v/c?

Install the Ford one dry....seriously. Every one I have used has been installed dry and never leaked..even after being reused. I have one on two of the old style v/c's and one on the XR v/c....no leaks. Didn't leak on the old steel one on the Pace Car either....

You can probably get by with taking the throttle body off and leaving the upper intake intact. Also, you may have to take the I/c tubes loose to get some working room.

You will need to unbolt the brackets holding the coolant lines to the v/c as well. Take the hose off the breather at the back of the v/c. After that it is just removing the bolts and fishing it up out of there. It is tight back at the "firewall" trying to clear the cam tower at the rear of the head.
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."
Turbopit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Turbopit »

Cozz wrote:There is nothing wrong with the Felpro gasket. The problem is the valve cover. Felpro's have a groove on the center of the gasket that points upwards. XR's don't have this channel on the cover thus it's not meant for XR valve covers.

Work with me people. 8)
So is he suppose to go out and find a new valve cover just to use a crappy gasket? :)

Another thing if it hasn't been mentioned, be careful how and how much you tighten down the valve cover.
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

Chuck W wrote:Then something else is wrong. Was a FelPro used on there previous with those damned little grommets that get stuck in the v/c?

Install the Ford one dry....seriously. Every one I have used has been installed dry and never leaked..even after being reused. I have one on two of the old style v/c's and one on the XR v/c....no leaks. Didn't leak on the old steel one on the Pace Car either....
The blue rubber one was on it before. I'm not sure what grommets your are talking about, but there are no protrusions from the holes in my VC like I've seen on others.
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

Chuck W wrote:Then something else is wrong.
I read his post and said exactly the same words out loud. I've reused the Ranger gasket several times and always installed it dry.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
Cozz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Cozz »

Turbopit wrote:
Cozz wrote:There is nothing wrong with the Felpro gasket. The problem is the valve cover. Felpro's have a groove on the center of the gasket that points upwards. XR's don't have this channel on the cover thus it's not meant for XR valve covers.

Work with me people. 8)
So is he suppose to go out and find a new valve cover just to use a crappy gasket? :)
That would be my second choice. My first choice would be to relpace the whole motor that would take the Felpro. My last option would be to simply use the correct gasket such as an OEM piece... that's a big no-no. :mrgreen:
60-1, ATR manifold, modded Conquest IC, 3.5" custom upper, fully gutted lower, Crower rods with all the goodies, Dimond ash strays, 3" exhuast, 30 PSI+ baby!
rat_n_a_cage
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rat_n_a_cage »

I used the Ranger gasket dry, and have had no problems. If you still can't get a good seal, then you have no choice but to install the Esslinger crate engine...and bring it to Carlisle. :lol:
jbuffethed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jbuffethed »

Any one see this site before. Its got a few things http://www.500ms.net/2.3Ford.htm
'03 Accord LX
'85 XR4Ti
'02 Grand Caravan
jasonty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jasonty »

well if thats the correct part for the valve cover gasket ill take 10.same for the aux. shaft

jbuffethed wrote:Any one see this site before. Its got a few things http://www.500ms.net/2.3Ford.htm
jason yancey
stephens city va
87XR-88XR
NOVAMOG

"as long as you keep picking on me I will tend to mad post about me getting mad......"
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

jbuffethed wrote:Any one see this site before. Its got a few things http://www.500ms.net/2.3Ford.htm
THAT is a smoking price on that v/c gasket :!:
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."
mangostick
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mangostick »

anglin wrote:
Chuck W wrote:Then something else is wrong.
I read his post and said exactly the same words out loud. I've reused the Ranger gasket several times and always installed it dry.
I've had the joy of all 3 types of gasket on my valve cover..cork...GARBAGE.... blue from aftermarket...GARBAGE... then, I happened upon the ranger gasket :shock: it was a thing of beauty! went on dry and has been since. I've had it on and off a few times now...no leaks. Other stuff leaks...but thats another story :lol: :wink: Go with the advice and the ranger gasket from the dealer, it costs more but well worth it!
where'd I put that damned hammer?? :-D

Shawn Mangan
jbuffethed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jbuffethed »

So are those gaskets in that link the right ones?
'03 Accord LX
'85 XR4Ti
'02 Grand Caravan