Cupholder Rant

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

wilky wrote:
Maybe you should switch to an auto DemonFire - you only need one hand and half a brain to drive those. :wink:

Wilky
:evil: :evil:

I will not own an automatic at the present time. And like i said, i enjoy coffee @ the office, not while im driving.
:wink:
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
bw_krupp
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bw_krupp »

tannehilln wrote:Cup holder --

I do not know if they still have them but Rapido had a cup holder that attached to the top of the console and a holder for TWO cups slides out.
I have one and it is fairly good except with 2 cups it can interfere with shifting

Norm
My merk came with that one. It is fairly nice, and serves well as an arm rest too. However, when you do use it to hold something it tends to annoyingly rattle something fierce.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

bw_krupp wrote:
tannehilln wrote:Cup holder --

I do not know if they still have them but Rapido had a cup holder that attached to the top of the console and a holder for TWO cups slides out.
I have one and it is fairly good except with 2 cups it can interfere with shifting

Norm
My merk came with that one. It is fairly nice, and serves well as an arm rest too. However, when you do use it to hold something it tends to annoyingly rattle something fierce.
Could using it as an arm rest have anything to do with it rattling? LOL :P :lol: :wink:

YMMV 8)
ShaneXR4Ti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ShaneXR4Ti »

Sometimes my cup just stays in my hand and I use the bottom to shift. Works okay unless you try to powershift and its a styrofoam cup. Then you end up cleaning things up for the next half an hour. Stupid styrofoam!!
1988 Merkur XR4Ti 5-speed
Gillis adj. boost reg. - Forge BOV
Adj. fuel pressure regulator - TC intercooler
Autometer boost/vac. guage & Stoich meter
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

demonfire wrote:
wilky wrote:
Maybe you should switch to an auto DemonFire - you only need one hand and half a brain to drive those. :wink:

Wilky

I will not own an automatic at the present time. And like i said, i enjoy coffee @ the office, not while im driving.
Hah! Now it's our time--we auto tranny drivers--to lord it over all you shifty 5-speeders who've been haughty, arrogant, supercilious, disdainful, and more....at we who had the vision see that 3-speeds requiring no input from us is the preferred approach to driving and enjoying the XR, anywhere and everywhere. We doan neeed no stankin cupholder; we can drive with ONE HAND--even in NYC and CA traffic!

Or, we can scratch our boys or our butt with that free hand if we prefer, from stoplight to stoplight, and give up next to nothing in performance ! :P :P :P :lol: :wink:

YMMV 8)
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

Ed Lijewski wrote:
demonfire wrote:
wilky wrote:

Wilky

Hah! Now it's our time--we auto tranny drivers--to lord it over all you shifty 5-speeders who've been haughty, arrogant, supercilious, disdainful, and more....at we who had the vision see that 3-speeds requiring no input from us is the preferred approach to driving and enjoying the XR, anywhere and everywhere. We doan neeed no stankin cupholder; we can drive with ONE HAND--even in NYC and CA traffic!

Or, we can scratch our boys or our butt with that free hand if we prefer, from stoplight to stoplight, and give up next to nothing in performance ! :P :P :P :lol: :wink:

YMMV 8)
Hence the "Half a brain to drive one" :lol: :lol:
Erik AKA MerkurSport's Bill payer. www.Merkursport.com The virtual Garage. Bring your own nudie calendar. You can now find MerkurSport on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MerkurSpo ... 5756984607
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

fastmaul wrote:
Ed Lijewski wrote:
demonfire wrote: :evil: :evil:

YMMV 8)
Hence the "Half a brain to drive one" :lol: :lol:
Actually, it's a no-brainer :twisted: :lol:

With doses of caffeination always at hand, and able to think and carry on intellectual conversations while driving, we're more than equal to the task at hand and superior to those always thinking/worrying about replacing that T-5/T-9. clutch, clutch cable, unbalanced driveshaft, diff, etc. :lol: :wink:

Besides, our calf muscles are equally developed, rather than one being freakishly larger than the other. :P

YMMV 8)
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Ed Lijewski wrote:
Besides, our calf muscles are equally developed, rather than one being freakishly larger than the other. :P

YMMV 8)
Okay, THAT'S funny :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

demonfire wrote:
Ed Lijewski wrote:

YMMV 8)
What's funny is that unless you're doing left-foot braking (not recommended for this kind of driving), you're only exercising your RIGHT leg, whereas we shifty types not only get to tone the matching appendage, but have more desired involvement and resulting driving performance and experiences from our mounts... :wink:
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

?

Post by Mike McCreight »

So, Ed,
do you alternate your :oops: "scratching" :oops: hand to offset the development of your arm muscles????? :o :o
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

John Brennan wrote:
What's funny is that unless you're doing left-foot braking (not recommended for this kind of driving), you're only exercising your RIGHT leg, whereas we shifty types not only get to tone the matching appendage, but have more desired involvement and resulting driving performance and experiences from our mounts... :wink:
I also found the XR4Ti to be easier to heel/ toe shift than my focus.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

John Brennan wrote:
demonfire wrote:
Ed Lijewski wrote:

YMMV 8)
Hah! I've driven each automatic I've owned over the years (Methuselah would be jealous) using left-foot braking, having long ago determined that right foot braking leaves one disadvantaged both in reaction time to the brake pedal and if need be complementary/supplementary actuating of the accelerator. Can I prove it to you? No. But my observations of any/every other driver in cars/taxis/buses I've ridden in is that exclusive use of the right foot for braking may mean less ability to both brake and control the vehicle, depending on circumstances. Plus, most right footers are jerks-- they lift off the accelerator, causing abrupt forward movement of passengers and cargo, then overapply the brakes because they're late and they know it getting to the sweet braking friction spot causing even more abrupt changing of inertia to be absorbed by the passengers and cargo. Left foot braking doesn't eliminate this, but it does reduce and modulate those changes to become less abrupt in most instances.

As for it "not being recommended", well, that's why I'm a leader and not a follower--I think for myself. :P

So, my calves are equally toned. Alwasy have been; always will be. :lol:

YMMV 8)
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

I always drive with one hand... except when I go on one of my 110 - 140mph runs... then it's just too dangerous to only use one hand. :twisted:
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
logic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by logic »

How could I have been so blind? :shock: The advantages of an automatic trans are so clear to me now!!! Who needs the extra weight and rotating mass of FIVE gears, when you can obviously get by with THREE!! 4000RPM @ 75MPH? No problem!! I can still have my coffee!!! YAAY!!! And why have a complicated setup like a clutch and pressure plate and linkages of all sorts, when all you need is a MUSHY, FLUID-FILLED, washing machine drum to couple your engine and drivetrain!!! And when it finally breaks, I can have the satisfaction of spending $1600 just to get it to be all mushy and slow, AGAIN!!!! WHEEEEE!!!!!!

I think I'm gonna go yank that T9 outta my car and replace it with some belts and pulleys RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!

:roll: :roll: :roll:
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

Not to mention that I have only driven a couple of C3s, but both shifted relatively harsh.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.