Cupholder Rant

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

Ed Lijewski wrote:
lots of factors are involved and must be considered in assessing highway speed cruising comfort and interior decibel levels. My XRs have stock exhausts; I bet yours' isn't. Custom exhausts invariably result in higher interior noise levels. Some modified engines aren't always smooth running at verious rpms; that can contribute to interior bother/discomfort. Larger tires ALWAYS generate more noise, in some cases particularly on certain types of surfaces. Etc. My rides have none of those things about which there is a trade-off wiht the cost to paid in some higher level of interior noise particularly at highway speeds. In my rides, only by looking at the tach would you know or think the engine's rpms are high compared to a 5-speed.
So in other words what ed is saying....at my age you need comfort more than performance. Hahahahahaha :P :P
Erik AKA MerkurSport's Bill payer. www.Merkursport.com The virtual Garage. Bring your own nudie calendar. You can now find MerkurSport on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MerkurSpo ... 5756984607
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

I look at my XR as a way to get to work everyday that's fun, for sporty driving on scenic local roads, and for the occasional session on the track. 20 minutes is only 20 minutes-- when driving my auto XR from Phoenix to LA or San Diego, where you're talking six or so hours, then the 1:1 top gear begins to reveal its shortcomings. I once dive-bombed my auto '88 from the San Fernando Valley to North County San Diego in under two (intense!) hours, in a little formation with a 3-series Bimmer and a 300-series Mercedes (none of us knew each other, we just "hooked up" on the road), but the tach was always north of 4,000 rpm, and that will eventually get tiring. That was with a new, bone-stock car. These days, I'm willing to trade some long-distance and creature comforts for a more sporting car, as I have other vehicles for family and long-distance travel, but I'm only willing to go so far with it-- it's still not a racer, and I want a substantial degree of civility left. That's one great thing about the XR; like old VW Beetles, no two are alike, and each will conform to the hand of its owner.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

fastmaul wrote:
Ed Lijewski wrote:
lots of factors are involved and must be considered in assessing highway speed cruising comfort and interior decibel levels. My XRs have stock exhausts; I bet yours' isn't. Custom exhausts invariably result in higher interior noise levels. Some modified engines aren't always smooth running at verious rpms; that can contribute to interior bother/discomfort. Larger tires ALWAYS generate more noise, in some cases particularly on certain types of surfaces. Etc. My rides have none of those things about which there is a trade-off wiht the cost to paid in some higher level of interior noise particularly at highway speeds. In my rides, only by looking at the tach would you know or think the engine's rpms are high compared to a 5-speed.
So in other words what ed is saying....at my age you need comfort more than performance. Hahahahahaha :P :P

A bias on so-called performance is highly overrated and when done past a tipping point becomes a drag on the useability and versatility one expects in an all around car---and gets in the XR.

Yup. Count me not among the Nintendo/Play Station/manic sorts but among those who've BTDT, and see and know where the sweet spot is. How schweeeeeeeet , indeeeeeed it is! :lol: :wink:

Oh, and there's this: you're not adjusting, fixing or tuning--or afraid to drive--the Effing thing because its set-up isn't right for any/every kind of driving. :P

YMMV 8)
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

Ed Lijewski wrote:
fastmaul wrote:
Ed Lijewski wrote: So in other words what ed is saying....at my age you need comfort more than performance. Hahahahahaha :P :P

A bias on so-called performance is highly overrated and when done past a tipping point becomes a drag on the useability and versatility one expects in an all around car---and gets in the XR.

Yup. Count me not among the Nintendo/Play Station/manic sorts but among those who've BTDT, and see and know where the sweet spot is. How schweeeeeeeet , indeeeeeed it is! :lol: :wink:

Oh, and there's this: you're not adjusting, fixing or tuning--or afraid to drive--the Effing thing because its set-up isn't right for any/every kind of driving. :P

YMMV 8)
yeap, you probably still listen to 8 tracks. LOL. :lol: Oh and BTW the "Sweet Spot" for you may be sour for others and vice versa. :wink:
Erik AKA MerkurSport's Bill payer. www.Merkursport.com The virtual Garage. Bring your own nudie calendar. You can now find MerkurSport on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MerkurSpo ... 5756984607
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

yeap, you probably still listen to 8 tracks. LOL. Oh and BTW the "Sweet Spot" for you may be sour for others and vice versa.
No argument; I agree. But you started this! :P :P :twisted: :evil: :lol: :lol: :wink:
wilky
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Cupholder Rant

Post by wilky »

demonfire wrote:Today was the first day i took the XR4Ti to work... and i had no place to put my travel mug of coffee. :(

i ended up putting saran wrap over the top to seal it then wedge it in the passenger seat by the seat belt. is there a cupholder in this damned thing?

lol
So, after 5 pages do you have your answer!!

Wilky :D :D
Seeking relationship with sexy lady Merkur owner (send pic of Merkur).
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: Cupholder Rant

Post by Ed Lijewski »

[/quote] So, after 5 pages do you have your answer!! Wilky :D :D[/quote]

The weenie :P :lol:

You stick it in your crotch, hold it between your legs, and do your damnedest to drive smoothly and not burn your boys with hot java spill--like a real man. :P :wink:

YMMV 8)
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

Ed Lijewski wrote:
yeap, you probably still listen to 8 tracks. LOL. Oh and BTW the "Sweet Spot" for you may be sour for others and vice versa.
No argument; I agree. But you started this! :P :P :twisted: :evil: :lol: :lol: :wink:
But Ed, there's nothing but love there. :D

Ok, what I did a long time ago, bought this screw cup holder thingy (gotta love that word) put it in top of my arm rest.
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Ed, there's nothing wrong with automatics. My wife's corolla is an automatic.
:lol:
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

So is my Glock. :P :lol: :lol: :wink:

YMMV 8)
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

Ed, so you're one of those guys who's into plastic guns huh? :P

I almost bought an H&K USP, but I didn't like the way it felt... like a Glock, IMO.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Think of the H&K USP as like the new Pontiac GTO, and the Glock as like the XR4Ti. The GTO is newer engineering, newer features, heavier, costs more; the XR4Ti is as effective, more versatile, lighter, and more affordable. Plus, it fits easily into the hand and feels right. :lol: :wink:

YMMV 8)
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

glocks are fun. what model?
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Maybe a Glock 25. :idea:

I don't own one--yet, except in my mind, but the aftereffects of the disaster in N.O. keeps pushing the urge to buy one closer and closer to the point of irresistibility. :wink: :D

YMMV 8)
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

All good American citizens who are able should be armed and proficient in the use of same; this includes knowing when and why to shoot, not just how. Violent crime in this country would be very insignificant if this were so.

Oh, and Ed-- with apologies to Kris Kristofferson, Burt Reynolds, and Jill Clayburg, you're only Semi-Right! :P
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost