Trailer Hitch Installed on XR

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Trailer Hitch Installed on XR

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I had no idea this would be as simple and easy as it was. I didn't tighten anything up - no need, as it was just
a test fitment on the parts-mobile - but I had it done in 5 minutes. Removing the bumper and cover is NOT
required - I just already had it off, which made fitment only slightly quicker. This is a Reese Omni II MultiFit
Trailer Hitch #88002, as seen in the following auction. The one I got on eBay a couple weeks ago came with a
complete "fits-all" parts kit - 98% of it I didn't use.

NOT recommended for cars as rusty as this hulk!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT

jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

Nice work brad. I was thinking about this a while back but i wanted to keep it hidden and make a removeable notch in the bumper cover. Would that hitch allow you to raise the receiver up to hide it in the bumper cover?
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

jkxr4ti wrote:Nice work brad. I was thinking about this a while back but i wanted to keep it hidden and make a
removeable notch in the bumper cover. Would that hitch allow you to raise the receiver up to hide it in the bumper cover?
Maybe? :? I suppose you could put the leg over the top of the bumper mounts, with the u-bolt point upward.
You'd need to cut both the cover and the bumper bar itself. to provide clearance for the hitch.
There' a gazillion ways to use this thing. I'm sure I could make it work on most any vehicle.
wilky
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wilky »

Brad - it looks as though the only thing holding it on are a couple of exhaust pipe "U" hangers?? If that's true I don't think it's going to be very strong - particularly as they are subject to a twisting load and not a straight pull. Make sure it's safe mon amis.

Wilky
Seeking relationship with sexy lady Merkur owner (send pic of Merkur).
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

Why would you use an XR to pull a trailer? :?
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

wilky wrote:Brad - it looks as though the only thing holding it on are a couple of exhaust pipe "U" hangers?? If that's true I don't think
it's going to be very strong - particularly as they are subject to a twisting load and not a straight pull. Make sure it's safe mon amis.
Wilky
I had the same concerns David, and still do to some extent, even though these are "graded" U-bolts, and not just cheapie exhaust hangers.
But given the relatively light loads I'd be pulling, I'm not terribly concerned. It's not as if I'm going to be towing a boat or car
with this thing! (hope that answers Luke's question too).
smoke3006
Level 4
Level 4

Post by smoke3006 »

What are you planning on towing with it?
sam
'86 Regency Red Metallic XR4Ti -Blood Monkey

Cure your fever:
http://www.morecowbell.dj/
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

smoke3006 wrote:What are you planning on towing with it?
Go here and you'll see the 6x4 utility trailer I built:
http://www.merkurclub.com/forum/viewtop ... c&start=60

I might also use it for a hitch-mounted bike rack.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Conventional Wisdom says you never tow anything with an XR-- you'll be under boost constantly, like always going uphill-- unless it were extremely light... :?
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I trust you're not suggesting that I am conventional John! :wink:
Greenturbo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Greenturbo »

John Brennan wrote:Conventional Wisdom says you never tow anything with an XR-- you'll be under boost constantly, like always going uphill-- unless it were extremely light... :?
thats what i thought too
MEMBER OF FAST COMPANY
*86 XR4TI*82 Mustang TT351*65 Mercury Comet*
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Greenturbo wrote:
John Brennan wrote:Conventional Wisdom says you never tow anything with an XR-- you'll be under
boost constantly, like always going uphill-- unless it were extremely light... :?
thats what i thought too
Y'all are over-reacting. People put 2.3T motors in Rangers, don't they? Those things weigh almost 1000 lbs more than an XR
before anything even gets thrown in the bed or attached to the hitch. Haven't you ever had three fat people in the car with
you? Okay, I haven't either, but you get the point, don't you? I'm not suggesting that I'll be towing a 2-ton boat with this thing,
just a lightweight utility trailer or some even lighter weight bicycles!

Of course, I'd eventually like to put a 2L BMW diesel engine in this thing; do smoke-stacks and the whole deal. Then watch
me pull tree trunks!!! :twisted:
vcallaway
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vcallaway »

There is no reason you can't tow a light load with an XR. Just about every vehicle out there that is made to pull uses a turbo.

I bought a hitch for mine to pull a small tent trailer. I figure if my motorcycle can pull it across country the XR should be able to handle it just as well.
Vince Callaway
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

I'd think that a trailer would kill the fun of your motorcycle ride.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
vcallaway
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vcallaway »

Not at all.

In fact one of the best rides I've had was crossing death valley. The hills going in and out are a great twisty ride. I was riding two up and pulling the trailer. The guys riding solo had a real hard time keeping up.

BTW. Pulling a trailer teaches you straight line breaking REAL quick :lol:
Vince Callaway