boost valve size

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
xr4tiguy
Level 4
Level 4

boost valve size

Post by xr4tiguy »

I'm picking up a boost control valve and am not sure of the size of the hoses that run to it, you have to specify so you get the right size connections on the valve. they're either 1/4 inch or 3/16 (although you would think you could make them both work) does anyone know which is on the xr's? I'm not gonna be at home for awhile, and so I can't measure. thanks guys.
Merkenstein
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Merkenstein »

I dont know what size the XR's have stock, but I think on Ric Gillis' site it says to use a 1/4''. Where did you get your BV, and what kind is it?
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Re: boost valve size

Post by anglin »

xr4tiguy wrote:I'm picking up a boost control valve and am not sure of the size of the hoses that run to it, you have to specify so you get the right size connections on the valve. they're either 1/4 inch or 3/16
The last Gillis valve I purchased had the 3/16" sized hose nipples on it. I'm pretty sure the other three Gillis valves I have are equipped with the 3/16" fittings too.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
xr4tiguy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xr4tiguy »

I'm getting one off of ebay, it's a voodoo II or something. anyway, with shipping it's only 16 bucks and he has excellent feedback (perfect I believe), it actually looks pretty good, and the price will be going up quite a bit in november. Hell, I can deal with a boost control valve for $16.
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

xr4tiguy wrote:Hell, I can deal with a boost control valve for $16.
Hopefully you won't have to deal with boost spiking or wavering with the VooDoo. If so, we might have to call it VooDooDoo. I hope it's a good quality piece!
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Voodoo make a great ale, but with economics and car parts, I'm not so sure... as Chris says, hope it works. I've had my tried-and-true Gillis in for years, and it's never wavered.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
xr4tiguy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xr4tiguy »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Voodoo-I ... dZViewItem

it's a little long but I wasn't sure how else to make the link work. It looks ok, uses stainless and brass pieces, for an extra 3 bucks you can get an anodized look.
mangostick
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mangostick »

dunno about that thing man...looks like something put together from the leftovers in a plumbing Isle clearance bin. Its more expensive to go with Ric's valve..but its a very very nice MACHINED piece ... no cob job bolt together stuff. I'll go as far as to say that its been the best merk mod I've ever bought.
where'd I put that damned hammer?? :-D

Shawn Mangan
xr4tiguy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xr4tiguy »

i hear where you're coming from guys. but i like to think of myself as a guy who buys a POS and then bitches about what a POS it is and then buys the real deal and bitches about the fact that he spent more money then he would have if he just bought a quality product first.
I'll give it a shot. I already bought the damn thing. it was only 19 bucks for the anodized one. if it's a piece of crap i'll just resell it on ebay and probably get most of my money back. hopefully it'll work. in theory it's a pretty simple set up. I mean it's a spring and a ball, how complicated can it be? short of corrosion or a super crappy spring not a whole lot can go wrong. or at least I woudn't think so. :? I'll tell you guys how it works when i get her installed.
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

mangostick wrote:dunno about that thing man...looks like something put together from the leftovers in a plumbing Isle clearance bin. Its more expensive to go with Ric's valve..but its a very very nice MACHINED piece ... no cob job bolt together stuff. I'll go as far as to say that its been the best merk mod I've ever bought.
Actually... the Gillis valve is just a control valve from McMaster Carr with two nipples brazed onto it.. no machining involved. Still worth the $40, in my opinion. ;)

Colin
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.