does the xr have heated side mirrors?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
mangostick
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mangostick »

Damn John! with every post Im likin more and more the way you think!! :lol: and I didnt see any stripes on Colins car either...hmm... See Alex, you shoulda showed up man. It was a great time. My 86 was bought in bostom ma. and HAS heated seats. Even here in fl ..I still use em.. lately its been chilly here in the mornings.
where'd I put that damned hammer?? :-D

Shawn Mangan
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

mangostick wrote:Even here in fl ..I still use em.. lately its been chilly here in the mornings.
Weather.com forecasts a low of 61°F and a high of 82°F. You poor thing. :lol:
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Thank you, Mangostick-- I'll try to deserve that. 8)
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

My XR is an Arizona car with heated seats. Really does not make sense, does it?

However, somebody changed the interior from brown to black, so it's possible that it didn't originally have them. Never thought about it.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

It seems to me that it's unlikely that the car was not so equipped originally, as adding all the necessary switches and wiring would be more trouble than it's worth. I suppose there's a way to check using the VIN, but I sure don't know how if there is.
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
logic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by logic »

John Brennan wrote:It seems to me that it's unlikely that the car was not so equipped originally, as adding all the necessary switches and wiring would be more trouble than it's worth. I suppose there's a way to check using the VIN, but I sure don't know how if there is.
JB -- I wouldn't be surprised if the wiring harnesses were all the same -- heated seats or not. IMO, it would have been much cheaper for Ford to produce one standard harness for all models, and only add the switches and the actual heater elements in the seats. In fact, in my shop manual, I came across a wiring schematic that includes a connector for a REMOTE TRUNK RELEASE under the center console. Now, I've never seen one in there, but it could be tucked away under the carpet. I'm assuming it could be a hold-over from the euro-spec cars.

On a related note: the guy I bought my 88 from (w/heated seats), said he removed some of the padding from the cushion in the driver's seat (dumb) cause he was too tall, and wanted to sit lower. Go figure. Anyway, the d/s heated seat doesn't work, and I was wondering if that means he yanked the heater element with the padding? If so, I guess I'm SOL on getting it to work, huh? Unless I get another seat. Which I don't want to do.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

That does make a lot of sense.

Does that tall person know about the seat height-adjustment crank? I'll bet not. With the head room being what it is, he'd have to be NBA material to run out of it in the XR!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

logic wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the wiring harnesses were all the same -- heated seats or not. IMO, it would have been much cheaper for Ford to produce one standard harness for all models, and only add the switches and the actual heater elements in the seats.
My 87 XR, which does not have heated seats, also does not have the wiring for the heated seats- neither the switch plug or the seat plugs (two per seat). This is just one data point, so it doesn't blow your theory, but in the handsfull of XRs I've torn into, I've never found miscellaneous unused connectors.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
Turbopit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Turbopit »

anglin wrote:
logic wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the wiring harnesses were all the same -- heated seats or not. IMO, it would have been much cheaper for Ford to produce one standard harness for all models, and only add the switches and the actual heater elements in the seats.
My 87 XR, which does not have heated seats, also does not have the wiring for the heated seats- neither the switch plug or the seat plugs (two per seat). This is just one data point, so it doesn't blow your theory, but in the handsfull of XRs I've torn into, I've never found miscellaneous unused connectors.
Yeah, it seams like some models/brands do and some don't. I think all/most of the Mustangs I have had were equipped with the connectors for power seats, though I don't think any of them had power seats.
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

John Brennan wrote:That does make a lot of sense.

Does that tall person know about the seat height-adjustment crank? I'll bet not. With the head room being what it is, he'd have to be NBA material to run out of it in the XR!
And they swapped the ENTIRE interior, from dash to hatch and everything in between. If the donor car had heated seats then it would have made sense just to hook it all back up again.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
logic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by logic »

Anglin -- I'll take your word for it, since I've never gotten under the carpet of any XR. It could also be that there are different areas of the harness that are/aren't trim level specific. Did Euro-spec XR4i's ever have heated seats? If not -- then the standard wiring loom would NOT have the harness for that, and so Ford would have had to ADD that in for the US-spec cars who chose that option. But there might be other features that were standard on Euro-spec cars that were an option/unavailable for US ones, and so the wiring would be there already, just unused. I need to dig into that center console to see if I can locate the trunk release plug like the manual says. If I do, it'll make my life easier when I de-lock my hatch.
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

logic wrote:I need to dig into that center console to see if I can locate the trunk release plug like the manual says. If I do, it'll make my life easier when I de-lock my hatch.
I wouldn't expect it to be there. In fact, I would be quite shocked if it was in the car, especially if your car is an 86 or later. Heck, I don't think there is even a wiring plug for the gear indicator light for the automatic transmission in manual transmission cars. Seems like they did a pretty specific job getting the chassis wiring to match the features of the car. Perhaps that's because the car was assembled by Karmann, not a regular Ford factory.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
logic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by logic »

This brings me to another question I've been meaning to ask (sorry if I'm off-topic here).

Did the early XR's (85) have a trunk release switch? If so -- why? Is it because that wasn't part of the central locking? My shop manual covers all model years, so maybe that's why it's shown in the diagram there. I've never seen an XR with the switch, but I think I might have heard something about it.

Any info is appreciated.
John R. Rowlands
Level 5
Level 5

Post by John R. Rowlands »

anglin
Heck, I don't think there is even a wiring plug for the gear indicator light for the automatic transmission in manual transmission cars.
Yep! I have an 85 and there is a plug there! Hot when the lights are on.

logic
Did the early XR's (85) have a trunk release switch?
Nope! They had the lock/unlock feature! UNLESS you add a remote entry then you can add it, at least I did.

John
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

logic wrote:This brings me to another question I've been meaning to ask (sorry if I'm off-topic here).

Did the early XR's (85) have a trunk release switch? If so -- why? Is it because that wasn't part of the central locking? My shop manual covers all model years, so maybe that's why it's shown in the diagram there. I've never seen an XR with the switch, but I think I might have heard something about it.

Any info is appreciated.
Yes, the VERY, VERY, VERY early ones did.