Starter Motor 1986 XR4Ti

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
John R. Rowlands
Level 5
Level 5

Post by John R. Rowlands »

anglin wrote:
BTW, I get excited about saving 20% of that amount. You underestimate the motivation to reduce the weight of my race car. I haven't completed my carbon fiber hood installation because I can't find a good supplier for carbon angle stock, and I don't want use aluminum if I don't have to. That deserves a :!: .
Chris,

You can build Carbon Fiber angles over aluminim angle for patterns and melt it out with swimming pool acid, or use styrofoam for a pattern and melt the styrofoam with lacquer thinner.

John
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

The thing is, if you ever get a dent in an aluminum hood, few body shops know what to do with aluminum, from what I hear.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Wait a minute... are you retarded? :?
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

The one thing that nobody mentioned so far is that the "mini starter" is better from a functional standpoint. It doesn't start spinning until it reaches the engagement point, thus, wear on the gears is much less.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

John Brennan wrote:... and if it is torquier as well, and therefore better at being a starter, then it must be the better choice, and worth the small bother of modding the car to use it.
The hell you say! :shock:
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Specktor
Level 2
Level 2

Starter

Post by Specktor »

hello all. Question as a former chevy hotrodder I used to use the remote ford solenoid. Because the chevy starters with the internal solenoid
were prone to problems from heat . With all I'm finding out about my xr4 does anyone have any info on how hot the mini starter is getting ? Which could lead to the internal solenoid failing prematurely?
88 maroon xr4ti,
88 xr4ti now blue.
88 xr4ti black,
88 xr4ti red,
88 xr4ti white.
Can I stop now I'm broke.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

That might have to do with whether or not you saved the heat shield, and/or if it can be used with the mini-starter or not. If not, then I would fabricate a replacement.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
merkurmaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by merkurmaniac »

This is a very easy swop, btw. I made a page on it. I like the modern sound of the mini starter. I have never had a fattie go bad on me either, and I threw them away. I bought a used one from www.car-parts.com for around $20. Locally. They are super common.

http://www.merkurxr4ti.com/ref/mini-starter.pdf

Wiring is easy too, just take the old "little wire" off the starter terminal and head down to the mini starter with it. I added a foot or two of wire to make it happen. Simple.

R.T.
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

Colin wrote:Wait a minute... are you retarded? :?
Is that in response to me? I don't know $#!* about body work, that's why I included the "from what I hear". :roll: :roll: :roll:
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

MerkXRTurbo wrote:
Colin wrote:Wait a minute... are you retarded? :?
Is that in response to me? I don't know $#!* about body work, that's why I included the "from what I hear". :roll: :roll: :roll:
From what I hear, your girlfriend's been sleeping around with everyone in town. :wink:
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Whatever. The way I read it, it seemed that Anglin was using some alumiunum angle stock to mount his hood to the hinges... maybe Luke thought he was using an aluminum hood skin...? :?

Colin
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

turbofan wrote:Punch in the mouth!! aluminum would look sweet! and would still be featherlight...
Uh, I'm choosing carbon fiber over aluminum. If aluminum would look sweet, then carbon would look sweeter. I think a w00t is in order!
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

Yeah, I thought he meant an all aluminum hood... like the WRX has.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

John Brennan wrote:To me, it was not about the weight, although we are forgetting that in terms of shipping costs to the other side of the world, that will make a more noticeable difference than just the loss of five pounds once it's on the car. My main point was that if this starter is of a type that is readily available vs. obsolete, and if it is torquier as well, and therefore better at being a starter, then it must be the better choice, and worth the small bother of modding the car to use it.
Well, lest thee forget, early on I asked the cognoscenti to explain why and how the mini-me was "all that" per the post above. No one responded. The challenge remains: How, and by how much, is it alleged to be torquier?

As for the weight difference, you can get that by just driving with one less gallon of gas in your tank: http://www.santacruzpl.org/readyref/fil ... line.shtml

Oh, and the non-mini-me won't be obsolete in our lifetimes, including that young SOB [cuz he's so friggin young and good, Turbofan's]. :lol: :wink:

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
turbofan
Level 7
Level 7

Post by turbofan »

Ed Lijewski wrote:
John Brennan wrote:To me, it was not about the weight, although we are forgetting that in terms of shipping costs to the other side of the world, that will make a more noticeable difference than just the loss of five pounds once it's on the car. My main point was that if this starter is of a type that is readily available vs. obsolete, and if it is torquier as well, and therefore better at being a starter, then it must be the better choice, and worth the small bother of modding the car to use it.
Well, lest thee forget, early on I asked the cognoscenti to explain why and how the mini-me was "all that" per the post above. No one responded. The challenge remains: How, and by how much, is it alleged to be torquier?

As for the weight difference, you can get that by just driving with one less gallon of gas in your tank: http://www.santacruzpl.org/readyref/fil ... line.shtml

Oh, and the non-mini-me won't be obsolete in our lifetimes, including that young SOB [cuz he's so friggin young and good, Turbofan's]. :lol: :wink:

YMMV 8)
whaaat?!@?!?! :? :?
Ed (yep, another Ed....)

THEY ALL (except partsie) RUN!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/turbofan