Pics of our progess.

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

turbofan wrote:brad, i cannot believe you saw that just by looking at the pics. i was FINALLY able to see what you were talking about after a couple minutes staring at the screen.
Yea, I'm gonna have to check into the clinic for help soon. :oops: :lol:

But thanks for confirming that I'm not insane. Uhhhh, or did you actually confirm that I AM insane??? :shock: Hmmmmm....... :?
ClayM

Post by ClayM »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:See that area of the floor pan behind where the driver would sit, just in front of the retainer bar for the seat belt? That should be nice and flat. Looks kinda like Wavy Lays Potato Chips from here. You should be able to work in back into shape, but as I mentioned, you'll want to get some rust encapsulator paint on it, preferable both sides.
I see what you're saying now, nice work. Why would this area just because its bent be more likely to rust though?
________
Two and a half men dicussion
Last edited by ClayM on Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Because most people who would jack a car up by its floor probably wouldn't think to pad the jack with a piece of wood or carpet.. so it might have small chips out of the paint or cracked paint from the metal flexing.

Colin
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
NickW

Post by NickW »

Well i still couldnt see it from the pics so went and looked for myself...damn, lol. We'll have to check that out...thanks for pointing it out.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Colin wrote:Because most people who would jack a car up by its floor probably wouldn't think to pad the jack with a piece of wood or carpet.. so it might have small chips out of the paint or cracked paint from the metal flexing.
Where's that "I'm with stupid" smiley??? :evil:

Furthermore, when you work it back into shape, you're going to increase the odds of the paint/undercoating giving up it's adhesion to the metal it's supposed to be protecting.
NickW

Post by NickW »

WE're not sure what we'll do. We will check for rust and go from there. either way it will be getting covered with something both top and bottom ro help prevent any more rust issues.

Thanks again for pointing that out..i'm still in amazement that we have been over every inch of that floor and never realised that.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

NickW wrote:Does anyone the reasoning for all of the vents that were covered in tar? There are 15 or so of those vents all over the car...some you can see the ground through, some you can not. Any idea's?
Yeah; to promote ventilation of footweels, pillars, etc,--IOW, air drying of moisture that typically accumulates from daily use and otherwise has no place to go. Obviously the vents don't do this all on their own if the car sits in place most of the time. But when underway, the vents work, IMO.
Credit the genius of the Karmann Krew. :wink:

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ed Lijewski wrote:
NickW wrote:Does anyone the reasoning for all of the vents that were covered in tar? There are 15 or so of those vents all over the car...some you can see the ground through, some you can not. Any idea's?
Yeah; to promote ventilation of footweels, pillars, etc,--IOW, air drying of moisture that typically accumulates from daily use and otherwise has no place to go. Obviously the vents don't do this all on their own if the car sits in place most of the time. But when underway, the vents work, IMO.
Credit the genius of the Karmann Krew. :wink:
Where's the "BS Flag"? I need to wave it. :twisted:

Those vents are totally sealed by the tar mat until wackos like us go stripping the tar mat out. No ventilation going on there for a stock car.
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

Yeah, the most plausible theory I've heard is DG's... but then wouldn't many cars have them? :?
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
Damn, you zoomed right ahead of me in the tar-mat removal race! :twisted: Yea, you're asking the $64,000 question that all of us ask when we find all of those damn louvers in the pan! :evil: David Godfrey's guess is that they were put in there as drains for the painting process. Feel free to add your own guesses. :?
Above is nominated by acclamation for most lame-assed attempt at explaining what common sense and simple logic provides an answer for.

Now, DG can speak for himself; but for Bwana and Lukester (and others) to just buy into this nonsense speaks not highly of them.

I suppose the vents in the door B pillars were also put there to allow the paint to drain. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :P :wink:

YMMV 8)
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ed Lijewski wrote:I suppose the vents in the door B pillars were also put there to allow the paint to drain. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :P :wink:
Nice attempt to divert the topic, but we aren't talking about THOSE vents at all. :x

"Paint drains" is actually a much more viable theory then your "footwell ventilation" theory. Might just as well suggest the car was designed by Fred Flintstone too! :lol:
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
Ed Lijewski wrote:I suppose the vents in the door B pillars were also put there to allow the paint to drain. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :P :wink:
Nice attempt to divert the topic, but we aren't talking about THOSE vents at all. :x

"Paint drains" is actually a much more viable theory then your "footwell ventilation" theory. Might just as well suggest the car was designed by Fred Flintstone too! :lol:
Is that the best you can do?

Why not try defending the paint drain theory?

Because it's lame and indefensible? :roll: :lol: :wink:

YMMV 8)
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Seems perfectly plausible... have you seen the e-coat painting process in action, Ed? :?
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ed Lijewski wrote:Why not try defending the paint drain theory?

Because it's lame and indefensible? :roll: :lol: :wink:
Had I stated DG's guess as fact, I might be more interested in defending it. I have nothing definitive to back it up as fact, so it remains a theory/guess.

On the other hand however, I have clearly dismissed your theory as "lame and indefensible".
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

?

Post by Mike McCreight »

Karmann crew? That wouldn't explain why the british Sierras have them too....
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!