New here to

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
XR4TIboostedmom
Level 1
Level 1

New here to

Post by XR4TIboostedmom »

just got my own XR4TI that runs nice....from a junk yard for $200. a friend from NC has had a few merks but he is there now and we are here so...gonna need some advice and knowledge of what to start to replace/look for first.Carlisle is just about 45 north of us so hopefully I will be able to make it .

any tips and or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jen :D
Maurice S
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Maurice S »

Welcome!! So how's it running?? If it is running...
85 XR '" Lightly Street Massaged"
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Welcome! :)

Be advised, if you are within a 2-hour driving distance of Carlisle, you are required by the state of Pennsylvania to attend the Ford show on June 2-4. It's actually a state law - no need to look it up - I've done the research and I'll be insulted if you don't believe me. :twisted:

Here's all the details you need so that you won't be breaking the law come June....

http://www.merkurclub.com/carlisle_2k6/carlisle_2k6.htm
XR4TIboostedmom
Level 1
Level 1

it runs nice but definetly needs a tune up and new gas.it has some spark knock and when it does that it blows off the boost.My husband is a ford mustang man and knows his way areound an engine bay so all mods and work will be done in our garage,with MY help!!!I love to work on cars :D This is going to be my daily driver and track car.

I got hooked to the 1/4 mile track at Mason Dixon Dragway a few years ago with a friends mustang.My husband was teaching me how to power shift on his mustang and I broke a piece in the transmission(T-45)but when we had it rebuilt we found out that a shifting fork was also cracked so he had it rebuilt with better parts and now is working great.We had this T-45 rebuilt for under $125.And he also does C-4s.We have a C-4 just waiting to go to the shop to be rebuilt.We bought it for a mustang for me but we found this merkur and that is where the C-4 will eventually call home.

For anyone interested our mustang is a 96 GT convert with under 35,000 miles.Has laughing gas and a bunch of other mods. :)
Maurice S
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Maurice S »

Well, start with motorcraft ignition cap, rotor, stock plugs stock gap, and motorcraft wires...Wrc1011 or something like that . That will get you baselined...timinig should 10*btdc (auto) 13* (5 speed)...you'll need to run codes for sensor check then baseline the idle
This site is great for basic tech stuff...

Just about all in the tech section engine wise applies

http://www.turbotbird.com/

There should be a knock sensor facing the drivers inner fender sticking out of the lower intake. plug it in (if disconnected) until you have it all sorted...knock (pinging) is lethal to the Head Gaskets on these cars due to increased cyl pressures from turbocharging and cant be tolerated for to long...so avoid that as much as possible...good luck.

oh and after all work disconnect the battery for like 30 seconds and reconnect...this resets the ECU, which is kind of old tech, from what i understand it is archaicly adaptive but only in one direction rich to lean....so it's best to always "reboot" it LOL!
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Welcome to the Merkur Hotel-- "you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave." :lol:

Look forward to meeting you and seeing your car at Carlisle (if I can maaake it... :shock: ).
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

That's crazy talk, John! You have to be there! :o

Colin
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
richardcurtis
Level 6
Level 6

Post by richardcurtis »

xr4tiboostedmom: (nice name!) See if you can find a recent post slugged "For XR newbies" or somesuch. It will have a lot of info you'll need as a first-time XR owner. Also, check out articles on this list's FAQ and other XR-related articles on www.merkurencyclopedia.com and other Merkur-related websites. You also would be advised to buy an XR shop manual and, if you don't already have one, a Ford Code Scanner. Welcome to the slippery slope!
Richard Curtis
Fairfax Station, Va. '89XR (gone to a new home but not forgotten)
XR4TIboostedmom
Level 1
Level 1

I will check into the site listed,we already have a ford code reader,just about to register for Carlisle.

Mind you this is not a beauty yet,as we just saved it from going to the crusher.I have looked at alot of the pics on this forum and have yet to find one with the same wheels as this one.Are they a special wheel or what?

after a few mods a paint job is in order will take awhile but it shall be done!!! Having kids puts a damper on the budget when it comes to car mods :roll:

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Jen- Those are the stock wheels for the '88.5 and '89 cars. You'll see lots of them at Carlisle, mostly in the "Stock" rather than "Modified" rows.

Peeling clearcoat is very common. A good polish and wax will sorta hide it temporarily. Better to have a paint job done well and have all the cladding removed. Has this car lived in PA all it's life? Just be prepared to find some rust.
XR4TIboostedmom
Level 1
Level 1

yes I knew they were stock wheels but didnt know if they were special order or what...
i dont know if the car has been a resident of PA all of its life but....so far we have only found minor rust most just surface which will get buffed off when i work on the finish for Carlisle.

It has leather interior and what i think was all of the options,could be wrong but it also has heated seats.

I have been reading up and have seen alot of good sound advice.as for intercoolers we had 2 small ic welded together from ???? will find out and let you know later but they looked awesome and really helped and worked on my friends XR4Ti.
Maurice S
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Maurice S »

Oh and change the fuel filter. Not doing so may cause leaness and exacerbate the dreaded ping. Get it running soundly as is then modify one thng at a time. Or you may end up needing the services of an XRcist.
boostfiend
Level 4
Level 4

Re: New here to

Post by boostfiend »

XR4TIboostedmom wrote:just got my own XR4TI that runs nice....from a junk yard for $200. a friend from NC has had a few merks but he is there now and we are here so...gonna need some advice and knowledge of what to start to replace/look for first.Carlisle is just about 45 north of us so hopefully I will be able to make it .

any tips and or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jen :D
Congrats, and welcome. We're in the same boat, so to speak. I just got my first XR4 yesterday. Despite some issues I'm dealing with, I'm already in love with this car. (Insert Queen song here)

I'd love to be PA bound this summer, but I'll have to back out on this one. Maybe next year. Hoping to hear about some Northwest shows in the near future.

Enjoy your new baby. May it give you many miles of service.
XR4TIboostedmom
Level 1
Level 1

I just asked my husband where the intercoolers i said about earlier and he said they were from Peugeot diesels..it was about 28 inches long by 10 inches high and about 3 inches thick when they were welded together( aluminum intercoolers).
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

XR4TIboostedmom wrote:I just asked my husband where the intercoolers i said about earlier and he said they were from Peugeot diesels..it was about 28 inches long by 10 inches high and about 3 inches thick when they were welded together( aluminum intercoolers).
I have one of those Pug' IC's in my "intercooler collection". I decided against using it cause the in/outlet weren't going to work for me. Two of them welded together should work well, and allow you to locate the fittings where you need them. Is it already welded up? Pics?