Towing with a dolly

Merkur Scorpio / XR4Ti Technical Library - Check here for answers to common questions, problems and modifications.

Moderator: John Brennan

Merkur Club web site
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Or you can just crawl underneath and unbolt your driveshaft, avoiding all the rope shenanigans... :?

Colin
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Colin wrote:Or you can just crawl underneath and unbolt your driveshaft, avoiding all the rope shenanigans... :?
The only thing is, in some cases the exhaust is in the way, so that's not as quick and easy a task as you might think. That said, I would never tow an XR that far again without unbolting the driveshaft and pulling it the "aero correct" way. My fuel mileage literally halved when I was pulling that thing backwards.
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Exhaust? Whassat? :D
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

Also, the tranny fluid is likely to drain out unless you have a yolk to plug it.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

MerkXRTurbo wrote:Also, the tranny fluid is likely to drain out unless you have a yolk to plug it.
The idea is that you unbolt the driveshaft from the differential, but leave it in the transmission, tying the driveshaft off to the bottom side of the car. No leakage and no spare yoke needed.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Unbolting the driveshaft isn't a bad idea, but the thing is this is a bimonthly event that i might be towing to, and unbolting/ rebolting the driveshaft that often doesn't leave me with thrills.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Spend a little more mazuma on a trailer vs. the dolly, and do it right the first time. :wink:
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

John, i've got my eyes open. I just happened to stumble across a really good deal on a dolly.

The trailer i want is around $2400 with all the hitches, etc.

The (used, needs work) tow dolly is like 150
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
vcallaway
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vcallaway »

I think I paid around $200 for mine. Much cheaper than a trailer.

I bought one to take the car to the track. So far I've used it for everything BUT that. A trailer would be better, but I'm not sure I can pull the extra weight. I tow with my wifes Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has a 4.0 6 cyl with over 200k miles on it. I'm not really wanting to stress it too much.
Vince Callaway
KhanTyranitar
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Towing with a dolly

Post by KhanTyranitar »

I towed my Merkur with a dolly. I was going about 80 miles. I unhooked the driveshaft and secured it. That way the transmission was not spinning, so no risk of bearing damage. A full trailer would exceed my tow limitations.
lowered86
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Towing with a dolly

Post by lowered86 »

I've towed them on a dolly facing both directions. The first time was an auto parts car that I towed across town. I figured I wasn't going far so I could get away with the rear wheels on the ground and the trans in neutral. I got maybe 2 miles down the road before the driveshaft broke the tail housing off the trans. The trans oil got so hot it was blowing out the filler neck like a smoke stack. Lesson learned on that one. The next time I towed one, I backed it onto the dolly, straightened the front wheels and locked them in place. The only issue I had this time was a lot of front to back movement with the front tires because the control arm bushings were shot. I stopped at WalMart and bought some heavy duty tie straps. I hooked one end to the control arms and the other end somewhere near the back of the car. This method worked fine and I made the 4 hour trip back home without issue. The last time I towed one, it was another auto and I had a 12 hour drive so I decided to pull it onto the dolly facing forward and I disconnected the driveshaft and tied it up under the car. I made the 12 hour trip home without issue. After towing them facing both directions, I prefer forward facing with the driveshaft disconnected.

Dan