US Ford parts

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
XR4TIboostedmom
Level 1
Level 1

US Ford parts

Post by XR4TIboostedmom »

HiYA everyone,I was thinking of getting some of your good advise on what parts work on the XRs from US Fords.I was reading the wheel thread so I decided to ask.I work part time at a scrap yard,and see many options for mustang.We get in many different types of the fox bodied cars like stangs,lincon LSCs,and thunderbird.(by the way I hated to tear apart a perfectly good LSC the other night but)........This is where our XR came from also by the way.So what should I keep an eye out for when cars come in?Are the 2.3s from turbo coupes and XR7s the same as far as engine goes?Turbos are different right?But engines,,,,,,,are they the same?I have an unlimited supply of US ford parts to choose from so to speak.That is if I can get to the cars BEFORE the other guys get them with the loader,(GM guys).I was just wondering if anyone knew what would work for sure.

Tim
Need an alarm system for your Merk??? Rescue a German shepherd today! PM me for details or visit www.awndr.petfinder.com
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: US Ford parts

Post by merkurdriver »

XR4TIboostedmom wrote:Are the 2.3s from turbo coupes and XR7s the same as far as engine goes?Turbos are different right?But engines,,,,,,,are they the same?Tim
grab any 2.3 Turbo engine you can as they are basically identical - the SVO have the Garrett T3 Turbo in them like the XRs, Turbo Coupes and XR-7's have the Garrett T3 Turbo as well, with the exception of the 87/88 TC it has the dinky IHI turbo, but it does have loads of other goodies for the XR - bigger VAM air meter, computer, rear disc brakes, etc.
MarioP3_XR4Ti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MarioP3_XR4Ti »

The transmissions from those same cars are useful as upgrades in an XR as well. So, the 2.3 turbo engines, intercoolers from anything, transmissions (particularily the 5 speeds), ECU's, engine wiring harnesses, VAM's... Rear disc brake parts from TC's, PRB front calipers from the Mustangs for the big brake conversion... I am sure there's more parts we could all use.
Mario Perez
88 XR4Ti 4.6 AODE
01 320d Touring
XR4TIboostedmom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XR4TIboostedmom »

ok ,I am gonna just add a few things in here....

what should we keep an eye out for,for parts that interchange or make for great upgrades.
Need an alarm system for your Merk??? Rescue a German shepherd today! PM me for details or visit www.awndr.petfinder.com
Justin04

Post by Justin04 »

ECU's like the LA3 and PE. Big VAM's, brown top injectors.
2.3T Shirts www.scgearheads.com/store

SOLD:1989 Notch 2.3T, Stinger Header, 3" exhaust,LA3,18 PSI,Type S BOV, Walbro 255.
Maurice S
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Maurice S »

Justin04 wrote:ECU's like the LA3 and PE. Big VAM's, brown top injectors.
8UA's too...
85 XR '" Lightly Street Massaged"