dyno

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
kcmomerkur

dyno

Post by kcmomerkur »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2wvZICY3-Dw im sure this is an old video but im curious to if you anyone knows what this guys setup is this HP level im wanting to make with my build
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

It's not that old - it's from June 2, 2007 at Carlisle ...or was it Sunday the 3rd? Well, any way....

It's just an AL Volvo DOHC head on a stock-ish Ford 2.3T bottom end. Strap on a big ass turbo, step on the pedal to the right, and make smoke. :twisted:
Brad
kcmomerkur

Post by kcmomerkur »

is is it really worht that much to swap the dohc volvo head on ?? any details on this setup
xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man »

it's a very mildly ported stock volvo head, stock volvo cams, 2.5 ranger block and crank and rods, stock 2.3 turbo pistons, a giant ass turbo, 4 or 5 inch exhaust, sds management and 40 psi of boost. made 530 or so hp before spinning the tires at carlisle, made 680 or so before spinning the tires in new york and is estimated at 720 at 9000 rpm. don't know what injectors.

and yes it is worth it to do the volvo head swap.

you should see the really ported volvo head that phil is working on. he told me i wasn't allowed to quote him on the numbers he was expecting to make with that one.
Last edited by xr4man on Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ian the re-animator
mikerobison
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikerobison »

xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man »

haha, yeah colin's not playing games either!!!
ian the re-animator
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

xr4man wrote:2.5 ranger block and crank and rods, stock 2.3 turbo pistons
This doesn't add up Ian. A stock 2.5 rotating assembly with stock 2.3T pistons would put the pistons about a half inch INTO the head. :beats head

Also, are you sure he's running the later EDIS block? I know Colin had contemplated doing that, but backed away from it due to the bracket mis-match.
Brad
xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man »

well maybe he's running 2.3 rods. but i know he's running it the 2.5 crank. so whatever combination he needs for that to work. i'm pretty sure it's the 2.5 block.

i'll see if i can find the thread over on merkursport.

ok found it, i was wrong about the block.
In terms of my block: stock merkur block, with 2.5 crank, rods, and pistosn. Honda oil quirts and mainstraps with a .040 over.
ian the re-animator
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

xr4man wrote:ok found it, i was wrong about the block.
In terms of my block: stock merkur block, with 2.5 crank, rods, and pistosn. Honda oil quirts and mainstraps with a .040 over.
He's kinda vague on the rods & pistons there - the way it sorta reads would imply a complete stock 2.5 rotating assembly, but that can't be right as it's cast flat-tops and powdered metal rods. They'd have been
"powdered" to bits with even 400HP thrown at them.
Brad
xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man »

yeah it is sorta vague, but i do know that he said turbo pistons when i talked to him. so don't know about the rods. i would guess turbo rods too if the 2.5 are as weak as you say.
ian the re-animator